1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Help Me Choose: New Handgun Dilemma

TheBadGuy Feb 9, 2016

1. TheBadGuy

TheBadGuy NATURE'S FINEST Super Moderator

Hello All,

I am in debate once more and always seek the wisdom of the collective here. The two I have in mind now are totally different types of firearms and at different price points so its definitely not a apples to apples comparison but I would like opinions non the less.

The first one I am considering is a Dan Wesson Guardian. I love bobtail 1911s. I already own a CBOB in 10mm and decided I wanted to try out a 9mm 1911. The Guardian fits the bill nicely

[​IMG]

The second one I have been thinking about kind of goes in the opposite direction. I have a CZ SP01 Tactical and love that gun. The CZ97 is very similar only in 45 ACP. I think this would be a nice shooter!

[​IMG]

Honestly, neither are destined to fill a certain role in my collection. I may use the DW for concealed carry on occasion and I may us the CZ97 as a home defense gun occasionally as well (SP01 with light/laser my go-to home defense gun)

The third choice is = ??? Tempt me!! I am easily swayed! Show me a picture of a cool pistol I don't have and that may be enough. I am sticking to many pistols because honestly, I don't have room in my safe for any rifles. I should buy a second safe but that will have to be a future purchase, I have the itch for new steel!

Thanks
    Jason

2. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Man tough decision, I think I go with the CZ, just because it's a double actionI( I was taught as a child on a FN Browning 9mm d/a thats probley why) although may not be as accurate because of the longer trigger pull but you said your put a laser on it which would help pinpointing your target .

As for the Dan Wesson I never heard anything bad about there pistols Love the maker I think it goes back if you really want a 9mm verses a 45 as in the CZ .

3. Krull

Krull Legit Crybaby/Drama QUEEN

4. TheBadGuy

I'm all over the place. Now I am looking at the Sig 229 Legion in .40 and a Chiappa Rhino in .357 lol

I've looked at those once before but I am going to take a second look. Thanks for the idea!!

5. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

I`ve been a fan of the CZ-75 platform for quite a while, and recently I`ve been feeling a strong attraction to the Jericho 941 (aka "The Baby Eagle"). Ergonomically and functionally, it`s probably right up near the top of the charts. Price is very reasonable also. I`ll probably have to break down and purchase one sometime in the near future....

[video=youtube;rZRciwht-YY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZRciwht-YY[/video]

6. Krull

Krull Legit Crybaby/Drama QUEEN

IWI is importing the Jericho with the safety on the frame instead of the slide now too.

7. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

Yeah, I would also like that better....give it more of a 1911 feel....:thumbsup:

8. JAKMAN32

JAKMAN32 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

9. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

Between the two I would get the 9mm 1911. I think it would just be more fun.

I am a fan of the cz 75 family. I do think the Jericho looks better, and they have them in a few different sizes and calibers. 9mm and 45 acp for sure. I think 40 s&w too, but I am not sure. They did a good job moving the safety on the newer model.

The bobergs are really interesting. They are the smallest guns in their calibers, but because of how they feed, you have to use approved ammo. Otherwise the gun could just not feed or pull the case off of the bullet. But I have heard them described as being like owning a luxury car. I know Hickok45 did a video on one if you are interested.

EDIT: While watching some gun videos this morning I saw that Boberg has been bought out by Bond Arms. I am sure they will try to improve things and possibly be able to produce them cheaper

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2016
  10. TheBadGuy

Well in typical fashion I went with something I didn't even originally intend. I have a Sig 226 Legion in 9mm and love it. I ended up buying a Sig 229 Legion in .40 today. I think I must have a 2" Chiappa Rhino in .357 next.

Thanks all!

11. sickboy

sickboy Marsupial Brigade Member

Check out Republic Forge (.com). I got to check out some of their wares, and if I had the $$$.......

sickboy

12. TheBadGuy

The Sig 229 Legion is sitting at my gun dealer now waiting to be picked up. I may wait till the middle of next week as I bought the Chiappa Rhino on Friday from Buds. I hope it ships on Monday and I can pick the two up together on Wednesday.

13. PNWJimbo

PNWJimbo Stoned Adventurer Brigade Member

Easy: Dan Wesson Guardian in .45

NEXT

14. GregB

GregB Average member

Cool...

would love to hear your impressions of the Rhino.

15. TheBadGuy

I'll be sure to let you know. Buds didn't ship today, at least not yet so hopefully tomorrow. My FFL goes duck hunting Wednesday and Thursday so Friday is looking like the probably day for picking both of these up. At least I hope so. If Buds doesn't ship by mid day tomorrow I may need to go get the Sig tomorrow. I can't let it sit that long lol
    Thanks
    Jason

16. S.Shepherd

S.Shepherd knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

17. TheBadGuy

Thanks for the link. These wouldn't be my last purchases lol and the CZ and the DW are still on my want list.

18. Veker

Veker Average member

I'm a CZ fan but how about a nice S&W prelock revolver?

19. PNWJimbo

PNWJimbo Stoned Adventurer Brigade Member

I keep seeing posts on other sites of people finding DW revolver sets like this one...

[​IMG]

If I was going to get a revolver, I'd try to hunt one of those babies down :madaddy:

20. Veker

Veker Average member

yeah, those Dan Wessons are cool.