1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Help Me Choose: AK Dilemma

TheBadGuy Dec 24, 2015

1. TheBadGuy

TheBadGuy NATURE'S FINEST Super Moderator

Hello all,

I am not much of an AK guy. I have always owned at least one since I was a teenager but I have never done a ton of reading on them. I have a nice Vector Arms underfolder but I wanted to add another to the collection. My qualifications for this purchase are less than $1,200, no wire/ metal / underfolder stocks and I want it in 7.62x39. I have been looking around the last few days and here are the ones that have stuck out to me as being favorites. Help me decide between the ones I have looked at or help me with models that may have slipped my attention.
    Thanks
    Jason

https://www.preppergunshop.com/cent...5-barrel-2-30rd-ak-pmags-c39-v2-ri2361-n.html

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...ifle-with-wood-stock-set-detail.html?Itemid=0

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...di-ak47-rifle-wood-stock-detail.html?Itemid=0

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...-ak47-rifle-magpu-zhukov-detail.html?Itemid=0

http://www.southernshootersgunsandg...07fr-762x39-1625-barrel-folder-stock-10-round

2. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

i like the two variants in wood.
    that "trying-to-make-it-an-AR" shit seems wrong to me.
    nothing wrong with polish or hungarian kits.
    i've got one of the yugo builds with a teak stock set and i like the fact that it has a thicker receiver.... but i haven't noticed any accuracy benefits. maybe i would if i fed it anything other than cheap surplus.

3. Worker

Worker Slacker Brigade Member

Me I would get the Orange wood one. Very cool.

4. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

Tough... but I vote for DDI out of the ones you've shown.

I'd like to direct you to watch some videos on a site called:
    AK OPERATORS UNION LOCAL 47-74

Not only very informative but also entertaining!

BTW.. my X-Mas present to myself was the Magpul furniture shown on some of these; but in OD green. I've had the wood on for more than 12 years and it was time for an upgrade... nothing wrong with the wood, but do love the new stock! Highly recommended.

5. TheBadGuy

I was watching several of the AK Operators Union videos and actually ruled out the Century Arms models. I really liked the Polish model with orange wood and then noticed it was out of stock. Maybe some other time. I kept running into the Arsenal SLR-107FR as a recommendation so I pulled the trigger and ordered one. Thanks everyone!

6. oregonian

oregonian Huge member

7. HappyG

HappyG Average member

The price range, you have, I would get an Arsenal. I wouldn't have to think about it compared to others u mentioned. IMO.

If you did get an Arsenal, they will only increase in price, because they are stopping importation.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2015
  8. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

I would have gone for the DDI. They have a bare bones model with no furniture for 600ish. I have shot a vepr in 308 that was a hoot, but I just saw a video where a 7.62x39 vepr shot over 800 rounds in automatic sustained fire.:devilzeek So I would want a vepr then a DDI then arsenal. I am not saying the arsenal is a worse gun, but DDI is in TN and I go over to TN pretty regularly.

Here is the video
    [video=youtube;EwSJiAwoMpY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwSJiAwoMpY[/video]

The best part is at the end where he fixes it by banging it against a table

9. TheBadGuy

If anything falls threw with my purchase or when it's time to get another one. I'd try to get that orange burst polish AK or the DDI. As much as I ran across the SLR as a recommendation, I had to get one.

10. SlightChance

Yea arsenal's have been considered one of the best AK's you can get for years. I just haven't run into any in person.

I don't think you can go wrong with either 3 options

11. TheBadGuy

I'm not a huge fan of the SLR furniture on the model I picked and if I read some posts before buying I may have went with the DDI. I will wait and see once I get the SLR. I may customize it alittle.

12. TopHat

TopHat Drivin' that train..... Brigade Member

Good choice! I'm not an AK guy either, but from what I read when I was researching buying one, the Arsenals are the absolute best of what is currently available here in the US.

I went with the Arsenal Saiga/Izhmash SGL-21 since it is made in the Izhevsk Machinebuilding Plant, which is where the military Kalashnikovs are made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And consider getting one of these BFG AK slings, but act fast since they disappear quickly.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/limited-edition-ak-sling-v4

And get the Circle 10 magazines, or the new Magpul magazines with the metal feed lips and locking lugs.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?40068-The-Kalashnikov-Magazine-Primer

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2015
  13. TheBadGuy

Checking them out now.

Thanks

14. SlightChance

The newer magpul ak mags are awesome. I have one and it runs like a champ.

What you really need is some of those 75 round drums. Those are a lot of fun on the range. I remember one time I took a girl shooting who asked me why I needed a 75 round drum and I just handed the ak to her and told her to shoot it. When we left she was fully converted and wanted to know why I only had 1 drum.

15. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

BTW... If you get any extra Circle 10 mags you don't want I'll buy them for cheap...ok? :jdwink2:

16. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

You could always PM JD Member Johnny Bmore he is more or less the face of Atlantic Arms on the internet. I'm sure he'd give you the straight dope!

17. SteyrAUG

SteyrAUG Huge member

You did the right thing.

Keep in mind this is the newer 100 series, don't try and turn it into a classic AKM.

18. SlightChance

There are some bakelite mags for sale in Voodoo, those are supposed to be rock solid. Just fyi

19. TheBadGuy

This thing finally shipped and will arrive on Tuesday. Can you fill me in on the deal with "series 100". I'm not familiar.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2016
  20. TheBadGuy

Got my SLR-107FR today. I will test it out this weekend and see how it shoots. So far I like it! I changed the grip out to a Fab Defense AGR-47 and that's about it so far.

[​IMG]