1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Help me choose a new edc

WHY Factor Dec 26, 2014

1. WHY Factor

WHY Factor Average member

So I'm caught in a bit of a bind here. I'm looking to treat myself to a new edc for Christmas (or a few days post-Christmas, in any event).

I'd like to stay around or under the 200$ point (willing to go up a bit depending on what I see. Can always get rid of something I don't carry), which leaves me with a lot of great options. Too many, in fact. I've had to stop myself probably fifty times in the last two days from pulling the trigger on some fine looking blades.

So far, some of my top choices have been:

The Doug Ritter Grip. With aftermarket Griptilian scales finally becoming reasonably priced (if sub 100 is "reasonable". I'm just glad we've reached this point), I could score a G10 grip with an S30 or M390 blade for about $210. I've owned, loved, and sold many Grips over the years, but never a Ritter.

The ZT 0560/0561. These are actually coming down a bit in price. I've seen a ton for sub 200. KAI's offering them with their blackwash now as well, which looks really nice. I've heard a ton of complaints about the elmax steel, lock stick, and the size of he thing in general though. The size doesn't bother me, because I don't carry all that much at any given time, but I sharpen my blades with a standard Spyderco Sharpmaker, so I am a bit worried that I won't be able to get the job done if I hard use it for a few days at a time in the woods, which I most certainly will.

The Para 2. Once again, I've owned one of these before, but sadly never really got a chance to use it. Had some unexpected medical bills pop up right after I got it, and ended up flipping it right back before I got a chance to really rotate it into my edc. Liked it when I had it, but I never used it all that much.

The Brous Bionic. This looks like a pretty neat blade. I currently own a Brous T4, so I know how well Jason's D2 performs (absolutely fantastic, for anyone looking to get one). I've heard some complaints about the spine jimping, but it looks like Jason fixed it in the Bionic II. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to actually find a Bionic II in stock for awhile.

The Spyderco Domino. It looks like a Sage with a flipper. I feel like the price point is a bit high, but I might be willing to bite.

Those are some of my top picks off the top of my head. Feel free to comment or throw your own ideas out there. Anything around or under 200. Like I said, I'm willing to go a little bit higher. As long as the quality is on point. I know that Price doesn't always equate to quality, but let's face it, sometimes it just does.

Thanks guys!

2. woodlander

woodlander Brigade Member Brigade Member

I have a suggestion that is a little higher in price than you ware seeking, but it is one of the best knives I have owned: The Benchmade 940-1.

The blade steel is one of the hardest I have seen. It is S90v with carbon fiber handles. If you can live with the price, I can offer an unqualified recommendation. I sharpened mine when I got it a few months ago and I have only used a strop on it since.

Best of luck in your search.

3. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

From that list the Spyderco Domino would be my top pick.

Got a Sebenza yet? Might be worth saving a little longer ....

4. lutzy555

lutzy555 Little member

I don't think you can ever go wrong with the Para 2. I love mine like a son.

5. WHY Factor

You know, I've never seriously looked at a Sebenza before. I've never heard anything but praise, but at the same time I have no idea how to go about looking for one. What sort of price range would a 21/25 be in? I'm certainly willing to wait a bit if it's truly worth it.

6. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

Try to find yourself a PM2 in CTS-204P.

It'll run you around $225....nothing else will touch it at the price point.

Not a fan of ZT. I have a 0560.....other than the pocket clip: it blows. Overhyped and under-engineered.

7. WHY Factor

I'll take your word for it on the ZT. As for the PM 2... Well I'll most certainly try. You know how it goes trying to find anything special for a half way decent price.

8. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

$400 retail.

ALL Chris Reeve dealers charge $400 for a Sebenza.

A 25 may be a couple bucks more. I'm still a couple deep in good ole classic 2K Sebs and unless you're doing a bunch of idiot-grade stuff which migt break a knife, in which case you ought to be using a Cold Steel Lawman or Recon, the Seb will be a decade-long or longer investment for you.

Of course, I've only been carrying and using Sebenzas since 2002/ 2003 or so as I was late to the party (the 25 stands for something :jdwink2:) and as such I have a bias in favor of them.

9. WHY Factor

Oh. 400's really not that bad. If I don't end up finding something I might just sell my Brous and get one. Thanks for the info!

10. jmryder

jmryder Little member

I've had a Ritter Griptilian for years.Great knife.
    I find that lately I've been using my Victorinox Tinker
    a lot more.

11. Parker

Parker Former Village People Roadie Knife Maker or Craftsman

Glad to be of help!

i admit I missed your $200 ideal on first read. It's been a long month, long hours and a nasty upper/ lower resp bug (flu? evil spell? alien implantation? demonic possession? )

I dunno if a fixed blade is a workable option for you, but I have been loving my BRKT Bravo EDC and Bravo Necker II both over the last four months as daily wear. The necker can be set up as IWB with or without a static cord and a simple kydex sheath or slimline replacement leather rig for the EDC make it about the ideal unobtrusive daily carry.

I owe the DevL a few photos anyway of my current carry and latest surprise from Santa, drop me a PM if you like and I'd be happy to take photos of them on me, in hand, whatever....

12. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

If you are specifying a folder, a production folder...You cannot beat a 25. Parker is spot on.

:werd:

13. MTXCraze

MTXCraze I flip therefore I am JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

The para2 and the domino are a good choice.

As for a ZT I carry a 0566 pretty often and love it, maybe give it a look.
    No problems with the Elmax on mine. actually one of the reason i love it so much

14. WHY Factor

Will do. My experience with fixed blades has been pretty much limited to an Izula and a Candiru. Used them both pretty hard. A buddy borrowed my Izula for a training exercise and ended up buying it from me, I'm due to look at something to replace it.

15. test2oob

test2oob The Collector JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Paramilitary 2 vote. I carry one all the time. Thought i would hate it but once i got it really like it and carry it all the time. Have the BM 940 and for some reason cant get into carrying it.

I think I got the PM m390 version. Would watch for one in a nicer steel than the standard if your going to go around 200 people resell them all the time :ropeman:

16. G-man

G-man JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Get a ZT 0801 it is a freaking awesome knife.

17. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

Would you mind elaborating on this statement ?

18. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

ZT 770 Aluminum handle < $200 and the CF version is just a bit over $200.

Great knife for the $ IMHO.

Don't know what Oncebitten is going on about being "under engineered" because I have a 560 too and it's built like a tank. A less expensive tank than a Sebenza which is twice the $.

19. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

I agree....I`ve had my 0350 for over 4 years now, it`s my everyday "go-to and beat the shit out of it knife". It`s been subjected to every dirty job I can throw at it, and I can`t say anything bad about it. And, it`s probably the bargain of the bunch, I see them on the secondary market for right around $100 or so....

20. Kylems11

Kylems11 Little member

Try and find a brous bionic 2.0. I just got one a few weeks ago and its my new favorite edc. Awsome knife.