1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Help making balisongs

sillypilly Sep 10, 2015

1. sillypilly

sillypilly Little member

I want to start making balisongs, any tips on how I should start?

2. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

buy a balisong making machine?

3. GnFnRs

GnFnRs JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Lots and lots of research. Google will be a good friend to you. The search function here will bring up allot of info. There is no straight answer to this question. It won't be easy, even mentioning the idea you're gonna get flamed but it comes down to you doing the research and getting the info through that means, or it just becomes hot air.i will say good luck and if your serious just work hard and produce something before you talk any kind of game.

4. sillypilly

sillypilly Little member

A CNC machine? I know there is a local CNC machining shop where I live. Should I just go there

5. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

:amuseyou:

6. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

At the beginning.

Glad to be of assistance. :thumbsup:

7. weavin

weavin Destroyer of digits opposable JDBA Official Member

A cnc shop wouldn't be a bad place to ask around... How much of a background do you have with metal work?

GnFnRs just gave you some great advice though, you'd be well served by re-reading his post.

8. Slightly Sane

Slightly Sane Average member

Well, if you want to design it around flipping, research the elements of the best knives out there, such as how BRS and Hom create the balance on their knives. I'm no knifemaker, but overall, get some handle bias on your bali so it's not blade heavy and less than ideal to flip. Learn how the blade type affects the balance; for example tantos often have more steel left on the blade than a bowie. Lastly, choose what grade of Ti you want for the handle (cheese grade tach, 6al4v beast), or if you want g10, or if you're gonna go for something a little slower like stainless steel. BRS acknowledges that it adopted elements from the basilisk, 42, arc angel, etc in designing the AB, so learn what popular balisongs do well and make use of it. Then, make the bali your own with something unique.
    Hope I could help :thumbsup:

zogglet likes this.
  9. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

If your planning to sell knives to others, I suggest you search Balzano and Frisky Dingo, read these threads twice and don't do anything they did.....

crogers likes this.
  10. Mystik

Mystik That's no ordinary rabbit! JDBA Official Member

That depends, do you have any machine shop experience? Do you want to build everything from scratch/raw materials? Or use an existing template to work from?

Otherwise, there's several ways I can see how some people might go about doing this:

1.) Build it with paper and hold it together with tape, staples, or fasteners.
    2.) Assemble it from Legos.
    3.) 3D print it with the crappy polymer building block of your choice.
    5.) Forge it.
    6.) Stock removal process.
    7.) CNC machine and/or waterjet.
    8.) Pray to the balisong gods to send you one.

You can spend a few hours or a few days learning how to assemble/modify an existing kit like this one here: http://usaknifemaker.com/bali-kit-db1-dogbite-titanium-full-frame-kit-with-all-hardward.html

11. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

What sort of question is that?

Seems kinda random.

12. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

download a free 3d cad program and play with it. unless you are good with metal working you'll probably have to out source much of the work. if you are good with metal and have the power tools then have at it.

research and design
    fund
    produce
    assemble
    test

13. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

what skills are you bringing to the table to start with? have you been modding? have you ever worked with metal? Do you understand heattreating, know how to use a beltgrinder? Own a bandsaw with a metal blade? have access to equipment? have the means to buy equipment you might need? Have you ever ground a blade?

theres no way to advise you without knowing more about where you are as a craftsmen.

14. tx101

tx101 Stuck in the middle with you JDBA Official Member

if you have to ask then your way out of your depth :jdwink2:

15. Palethius

Palethius Customizer Knife Maker or Craftsman

^^ Yup, all that stuff.

"I wanna make an airplane. Where do I start."

16. tx101

tx101 Stuck in the middle with you JDBA Official Member

Ask Glenn :thumbsup:

17. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

[​IMG]

18. halo2304

halo2304 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

19. cardoso5fr

cardoso5fr knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

You will find here most of the wip about balisong making on the web. i have may be not found or missed some but i think that could be a good starting point.

http://frenchbaliconnexion.free.fr/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

I began with Terry's how (the first one found on edcknives long time ago).

Some of mine balisong wip are with more or less nothing as tooling.

Some other i did more recently use more power machine and various technic.

What you need.
    Something to cut, something to drill, something to grind and something to heat . (forget stainless steel if you don't have access to a heat treatment oven please.....)

You need to know what you want to make. Channel balisong are more difficult to do without milling machin.
    Sandwich balisong are easier :D. You have to choose between zen pins or tang pins. The two style have some advantage and disadvantage during the making.

If you have no idea about knifemakin (as i had when i began with a balisong) i would advice you to make some small blade before to do a folder as a balisong. Make some kiridashi and neck knives just in order to start to understand how the thing go with the steel, with the various tool and material. Balisong are fun to do, but they are a bit more complex than a simple friction folder or a kiridashi or a fixed blade ;).

If you need some help feel free to ask after to have read some of the wip.

Most of mine are in french on the link, but you will find them in "english"

http://dremeltingpotes.free.fr/pages/tutos/Tutoriauxpdf.html

Or on the forum here.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2015
  20. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I don't make balisongs but the best advice i can give is make sure you have a good heat treat, make sure you spec the tang pins and spacers properly , and make sure it latches properly. These issues have plagued makers in the past and present. Then again i flip too hard what do i know... :devilwag: