1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Hello Old Friends - Found Two "Lost" 29 Knives Balisongs

.45acp Jun 8, 2020

Tags:
  1. .45acp

.45acp Tiny Member

So....I was going through some boxes in preparation for a move when I ran across these in a segmented container of collector knives that I had been missing for 13 or 14 years, in it was 5 or 6 Microtechs, these two 5.25" beauties from Chris O. at 29 Knives and a few others.
    I purchased three blades from Chris while I was working in South America around 2003 or so. These two have not seen the light of day since I packed them for storage prior to a project in the middle east back around 2007. I thought I had lost them in a move and unpack somewhere. The third knife a 4.25" blade is my user and carry bali with stainless steel and rosewood handles with the bowie blade. All three blades are ATS 34. These two have never been swung or latched up in the open or closed position beyond what testing Chris did prior to shipping. I was especially happy to find Chris's hand written spec sheets.
    image2.jpeg
    This is a good day even if it is moving day.

Steve

Attached Files:

2. Scott Meers

Scott Meers Little Member

Damn nice find.

apdallaround likes this.
  3. skyblue

skyblue JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Love 29s! Wish Chris was still actively making them!! Lmk if you ever get tired of them, lol

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    apdallaround likes this.
  4. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

congrats! that’s awesome

5. Balibuyer

Balibuyer JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

How freakin cool is that......

apdallaround likes this.
  6. Caffiend

Caffiend JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I didn’t get the memo, Chris is no longer in business?

apdallaround likes this.
  7. thegoodedge

thegoodedge Pacific Edge Cutlery JDBA Official Member

Hasn't been taking orders for 4-5 years AFAIK. Not sure why, just stopped all of a sudden...?

apdallaround likes this.
  8. senseicharles

senseicharles JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Umm... I can attest that that is actually not true. Not trying to create a stampede if Chris is trying to avoid it but, I have done business with him not that long ago.

9. thegoodedge

Good to know that he's still making bali's.
    I know others that have worked with him for years, and he either doesn't respond or told them flat out he's not making bail's at this time.

skyblue and apdallaround like this.
  10. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

That's nice man. One of my favorite knives and doesn't get enough love from the younger crowd.

***Zombie apocalypse...nail studded bat and a Chis O. knife

apdallaround likes this.
  11. Caffiend

Caffiend JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Seem to recall in early 2016 the last minute 29s available that I could find were from GPKnives. A quick call to them someone said these would be “the last ones for a while” (paraphrasing) and I haven’t seen any since

apdallaround likes this.
  12. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

13. spookyse7en

spookyse7en Huge member

I have a tanto 29 with blue scales that I love to death but It will not latch up open or closed. Latch is too fat. I remember a long time ago somebody said he made them like that on purpose. Not sure if that is true but I don;t care. Excellent knife! Great maker! Hope he makes a comeback.

thegoodedge likes this.
  14. thegoodedge

Yes, that's the way he made them. Super tight lockup open and closed.
    Used to say they were made to wear in, not wear out...

15. .45acp

.45acp Tiny Member

I have been using my 4.25" for 17 years of frequent swinging and cutting use. The closed handle position is still requires a fair bit effort to latch and the open position locks up tight. When I was speaking to Chris while ordering, he told me the latches are tight by design, that the open position latch up would break in over time, but lock up like a fixed blade for cutting use and the closed position would remain tight requiring some effort to latch up even after some years of use.

I wish I'd ordered 10 more while Chris was in business, his knifes are truly unique.

16. .45acp

.45acp Tiny Member

29 Knives are not quick, fast in the hand or light weight, but for a rock solid non fixed blade, IMO, there is nothing stronger or more reliable. They are fun to flip, very smooth with lots of momentum once it gets moving!

17. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Huge Member

Get it world traveler with your heavy knives.