1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Heart Healthy diets suck!

IWantThatKnife Apr 15, 2014

1. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

Sunday night around 9:00 pm I had my first (and hopefully last) heart attack. The pain was so intense that two shots of morphine and one of dilaudid didn't work!

I am fine now - at least I feel good but now I have to explore my retirement options and possibly pursue a medical retirement.

For now though I am on the mend. Just thought I'd let my fellow devils know.

Kelper and hienho like this.
  2. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

Dam!..Sorry to hear that man and hope it's only

the 1 time event..

Watch what you eat and drink!!!

Good luck...:thumbsup:

3. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

Glad you're feeling better and wishing you good health. :yesman:

4. kayakjax

kayakjax Deep & Wide Brigade Member

Glad you're feeling better.

5. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Sorry for the pain sounds like hell , Sucks it happen but now you know where you stand heart wise , You take care of your self .sending smoke your way .

Kelper likes this.
  6. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I have not had a heart attack that I know of but have had a a couple of stents, a double bypass and all kinds of medication since 2000. Heart is still 'ticking'!:thumbsup: Do what the Doc tells you!

Kelper likes this.
  7. NuknfutzRN

NuknfutzRN Friend of the Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Glad your on the mend and out of the hospital quickly!!:manganr: (Great place to go to get sick sometimes!! :bwah:) As others have basically said, follow directions!! And yes, a heart healthy diet can suck, but it beats the shit out of the alternative!! :madaddy: And I am sure that some of our fellow devils might be in the same boat, and can give you some tips on how to make it more palatable. Good vibes and prayers sent your way for a quick recovery!:thumbsup:

8. hienho

hienho Monolithic Baby! Brigade Member

Glad you're feeling better! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

9. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

Positive thoughts and good wishes going your way.
    Get well soon and follow that diet

Rosie

10. taoist

taoist taoist JDBA Official Member

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Hang in there dude! :thumbsup:

11. Worker

Worker Slacker Brigade Member

Heal well. I wish you the best on your recovery.

12. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

The good news is that you're posting about this. Some cardiac patients aren't so lucky.

As an ALS provider I can tell you that Morphine is the heart's friend during a cardiac incident (Myocardial Infarction).

In addition to directly relieving the pain, it dilates the coronary arteries to provide more blood flow to the heart (like Nitroglycerin), saving heart muscle.

Keep on the mend Tim, listen to your Doctor, and live to enjoy your retirement... :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  13. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

My cardiologist put it to me this way regarding diet... IF it tastes good, SPIT it out! :realfunny:

I had a heart attack at 41 y.o. so I'm real familiar with the RIGHT thing to do. (Not that I always do the right thing!)

Since then, I've had 3 other Cardiac Catherizations, a stent, and a shit load of stress tests. All them stress tests just stress me even more!

As much as it pains me to say, LISTEN to your doctor. He'll give you better advice than your friends, prolly even better than what you'll get here! :bobert:

Take care!

Kelper likes this.
  14. pad2

pad2 Helps enable Mr.LaBella's addictions Brigade Member

I'm 10 years a survivor of one. Smoked my last cigarette 15 minutes before the Heart Attack ..... actually, a "heart healthy" diet doesn't suck at all .... you'll be amazed at how much better overall you feel.

count your blessings that you survived it, and best wishes with the recovery and "new lifestyle" ...... :thumbsup:

15. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

ugh, hang in there!

:owl:

16. c219460

c219460 Brigade Member Brigade Member

Glad you're ok!
    When it comes to healthy eating I've found it sucks at first but eventually your tastes change and you begin to appreciate it. When you step back and look at it all the "good" food (tastewise) is pretty nasty... ever been in the kitchen of a fast food place? The grease is everywhere, the workers still smell like it after they shower... when you eat healthy you sort of start to feel cleaner, your perspective changes, and you don't want any of the "good" shit... at least not as much.

17. Mikey66

Mikey66 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I am sorry to hear about this. I am glad you are alive and recovering. I think that changing diet is like changing a religion, but it can do miracles if it is done the right way. Hopefully you are willing to listen to your medical team. I was put on the same diet to prevent a heart attack. I look at it this way. There are 21 meals in a week. You can eat some of what you like occasionally. My father had a quintuple bypass operation after his heart attack in 1992. He did everything right for 20 years, except for his diet. He quit smoking and exercised. He eventually died of congestive heart failure at 75. I was his caregiver at the end, and what I observed was a steady decline in strength and quality of life due to his being overweight and having a bad diet. The latter kept him obese, and that is no good after a heart attack. You have a choice, and I will support whatever choice you make, be it to enjoy rich eating or to do a U-Turn and become a health food nut.

18. bluebs4

bluebs4 Average member

Get well

Makes you wonder for sure every day counts , can you guys buy statins over the counter ? And would you , good luck fella .

19. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

Short and long answers...

bluebs4 - statins are a prescription only med here in the colonies.

In 1997 I participated in a US Air Force Study for Atorvastatin and began to experience muscle pain and weakness in my hands. When I told the Program Manager they ordered a special blood test; the day after the test they immediately disenrolled me from the program.

I was released from them hospital this afternoon and not without some controversy. The cardiologists want me to continue to certain dosages of X, Y, and Z medications; the Hospitalist (who sees me on behalf of my family doctor) has changed dosages and meds in contradiction to the cardiologist.

Gee who do you think I will listen to?

The good news is I am home and feel pretty good.

20. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

Good to hear your home and doing well. I go to a website called
    allrepicies.com you can pick and choose what you need to eat safely''

Rosie