1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

HazeTac Prototype review

TheronJ Feb 26, 2021

1. TheronJ

TheronJ JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Hello, I'm TheronJ and today I'll be reviewing the "Devil" balisong prototypes by HazeTac.

[​IMG]
    Specs from the maker:

A2 Bowie style blade Full titanium 6al-4v flipping balisong. Currently in prototype review process. Likely release date March 2021.

• 4.5” A2 59-60Rc CNC hollow ground bevels with parallel surface ground bowie blade

• Hand-fit precision bushing system with phosphor bronze washers and 440C hardened stainless sex-bolt hardware/screws for pivots and back spacers (back spacers will be available in different materials for custom weight distribution)

• 5.5” 6al-4v titanium handle length with precision surface ground bearing surfaces

• 10” overall open length

• 4.35 oz. total Weight
    AESTHETICS:

P1

[​IMG]

-Prototype 1 features an A2 steel bowie blade with a bronze like finish. There is a very slight recurve around the lower third of the cutting edge.The edge itself is a secondary bevel which is polished to a shine. The primary bevel has softened machining marks that fade and blend as they approach the flats. The blade tapers into a narrow ricasso near the pivots, which provides a nice natural resting point for your fingers while flipping and also prevents a common issue among balisong designers where wider tang sections can pinch in the tang cups. The spine is rounded and soft. No rough edges here.

[​IMG]

-The tang pins feel properly inset and are straight. No signs of wiggle.

-The pivots run on bushings and roll smoothly with no little resistance. Upon arrival there was some very minor freeze on the bite handle which cleared up after applying lubricant and it has run smoothly since. The pivot screws are t15 and have a black finish.

[​IMG]

-The handles are anodized OD green with a matte bead blast finish. The inside of the handles and countersunk hole pattern are anodized abronze/purple tone with a polished finish.

-The hole pattern offers decent grip and feels nice to the touch. The edges of the handles are rounded and at the back ends there is some chamfering.

-There are three inset lines at the end of either side of the handles. You can't really feel them much while flipping so I don't have much to say about them other than that they look nice and don't impede anything.

[​IMG]

-The block spacers are long and have some jimping on the side. This helps with grip during ladders.

p2

[​IMG]

Specs from the maker:

A2 Tanto style 6al-4v titanium flipping balisong currently in prototype/review process. Estimated release March 2021.

• 4.5” A2 60Rc tanto style CNC hollow ground parallel surface ground blade

• Precision hand-fit bushing system with phosphor bronze washers and 440C stainless hardened sex-bolts and screws for pivots and back spacers.

• 5.5” length 6al-4v titanium handles with precision surface ground bearing surfaces and back spacers (back spacers will be available in different materials to customize weight distribution)

• 10” overall length

• 4.6 oz. overall weight
    -Prototype 2 features a tanto blade. The Tang and ricasso area is pretty much the same as p1 and has the same advantages. The primary bevel has strong machine marks that looks pretty cool and follow the lines of the blade in a way that's very aesthetically pleasing.

[​IMG]

-The tang pins and pivots are also the same, however the tang side pin on this one did develop wiggle. I've been told this issue already has a fix but it's something to take note of.

-The handles on this one are a bit different in that there is an inset groove along the sides of the handles where the hole pattern lays. The inset is anodized blue and the flats are a slightly polished and un anodized.

[​IMG]

-The spacers are mostly the same but are anodized a pink/purple along the base of the handles and blue on the inside and along the jimping.

-The ends of these handles do not feature the same chamfering.

FLIPPING:

-Rollouts on both knives feel very natural and carry their weight well.

-Ricochets are pretty effortless on both, though P2 is slightly more end biased than P1 so it can require a bit more oomph at speed.

-Rollovers feel very nice and ther eis no sign of pinching or stalling. P1 is more neutral so rollovers work better when you're going faster. P2 has the slight end bias so rollovers kinda go auto pilot.

-Fanning feels pretty different from P1 to P2. The neutral weight distribution and blade profile of P1 make it carry efforetlessly. P2 can struggle a tiny bit to get going because the tip of the blade goes beyond the center line quite a bit toward the safe handle side. This isn't bad, but you do have to be aware of it and adjust slightly.

-Aerials feel consistent and natural for both. P1 tends to handle parabolics a bit better due to the blade geometry.

-Chaplins are a breeze with both since the spine shape, pivot area, and tang cups are all very ergonomic.

-The handle length is very nice for transfers and they both offer plenty of grip. I prefer the inset of P2 a bit when it comes to transfers.

VIDEOS:

I tried to start simple and demonstrate the aspects of flipping clearly, but I also tend to lose track and meander so take it as you will.

P1

P2

SUMMARY:

The Devil prototypes are definitely excellent additions to the balisong scene. They masterfully sidestep many of the pitfalls that up and coming knife makers fall into. Clearly a lot of thought and engineering was put into the design of these knives. The tolerances are fantasitic, the flipping is great, and the aesthetic is great.

Some points could use improvement though. After a few hours of flipping both knives show signs of tip contact with the spacers and a tang pin on P2 shows signs of wiggle. These are fairly common issues that many knife companies have experienced and both likely have to do with CAD software not accounting for give in the tang/zen pins. Solutions have already been presented and I have no doubts they will be properly addressed in the production models.

I'd like to thank Chis@HazeTac for the opportunity to review these protos.

If anyone would like to see this style of review in the future either for their knives or something I already have, just shoot me a DM and I'd be glad to do so.

2. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Well damn... sign me up!

Rocco, Steve W, Flip Tripper and 2 others like this.
  3. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

That is one hell of a review.

***Do another!

blaPsplaT, Rocco, TheronJ and 4 others like this.
  4. Flip Tripper

Flip Tripper Huge member JDBA Official Member

:helix:Hell yeah! Those are some bad ass Devil Balisongs!! Good shit bro!! :helix:

TheronJ, stonproject and chutcher like this.
  5. Rocco

Rocco Silent Reaper JDBA Official Member

Sign me the Hell UP for 4 + THOSE ARE WICKED!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  6. TheronJ

If people request specific knives and I either own them or they send them to me, I will.

Rocco, Flip Tripper and chutcher like this.
  7. stonproject

stonproject Little member

Hey everyone, I wanted to drop my review for HazeTac's upcoming run of balisongs. @TheronJ review sums things up perfectly so I didn't want to make another thread, but my version is slightly different so I wanted to add my thoughts.

The tolerances are tight, bushings fit damn near perfect, handles needed very slight adjustment out of the box, but now swing freely and smooth, with no tap and almost no play. The knife is fairly light, but with great weight distribution. Almost neutral, ever so slightly handle biased. Rollovers and twirls are a dream, this knife makes 0g Chaplins easy for me (I'm an intermediate flipper at best), fans work fine, and Aerials are predictable.

Handle finish is uniform and beautiful, blade finish on the flats are as well. The grind lines flow with the design and look nice.

Tang pins are solid, centered, wiggle free. No sharp edges anywhere, no pinching. This knife has quickly become my favorite flipper.

The only negative aspects are minor design choices that Chris has already addressed in his upcoming batch. Slight blade contact on the spacers, handle gap is slightly to big, and the handle taper gets just a tad too wide at the ass ends for my taste.

All in all, this is a real winner of a knife, and I encourage everyone to pick one up.

[​IMG]

8. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

@TheronJ damn that write-up with videos looks in-depth! awesome job

can’t wait to read and watch when i get a second

Rocco likes this.
  9. TheronJ

Looking forward to reading your feedback on it as well. It's interesting to see other perspectives.

Rocco likes this.
  10. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

How much $$$???

11. TheronJ

laughingbuddha likes this.
  12. Rocco

I just dm

13. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

As per https://www.jerzeedevil.com/threads...ve-me-what-you-got.181505/page-5#post-2018010
    "The first drop will be complete by May 1st but I will be pushing to complete earlier if possible. Pricing will be $400 for satin finish non anodized or single color anodized and $475 for multi-tone anodized and colored blade/hardware options. This is the best pricing that I can do without sacrificing the precision and processes that make these so smooth and play free and to the level of fit and finish that they deserve. They will come with free shipping in the US, a fleece lined zip up carrying case, spanner4 screw tip bit for the snake eyes, and instruction and care sheet. They will be warranted against all material and/or workmanship for as long as you own it, no questions asked and all replacement parts will be available on my website at nominal pricing."

14. NevilSD

NevilSD Tiny Member

Which handle type did you prefer the recessed or flat faced?

blaPsplaT likes this.
  15. TheronJ

I personally liked the recessed handle better.

Both were really nice though.

blaPsplaT, Rocco and NevilSD like this.
  16. SpydercoLover

SpydercoLover Level: True Devil

Got a chance to play with one of these over the weekend and was extremely surprised! Really liked it, can't exaclty say what it compared to as I'd need more time with one but as I said I really enjoyed it. Would pick up one for myself

TheronJ likes this.
  17. Rocco

I own both and they are the sharpest & da Tanto will slice anything like butter, Lmao - scalpel Sharp.
    Thanks Chris!!!

18. TheronJ

Saw yours on IG and they're looking excellent. Those colors are really popping.

Rocco likes this.
  19. Roshi

Roshi Little member

I have one on order based on these reviews. Thanks!

Rocco and TheronJ like this.
  20. NevilSD

NevilSD Tiny Member

I ended up ordering one last weekend too.

Rocco and TheronJ like this.