1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Hawaii Butterfly Knife Ban Challenged on Second Amendment Grounds

crogers Apr 14, 2019

1. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

2. skyblue

skyblue JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

That's why it's so important to change the makeup of the 9th and put like-minded judges on the panel. A win would mean the progress of freedom in Hawaii, California, and other states of the nation, which could very likely happen by the time this case gets appealed. Choose your representatives wisely, my brothers and sisters. Don't give up your freedoms in exchange for more government assistance and involvement, as California has done. It's going to be a long battle, I know, but We the People shall overcome!!

tonk, seandavid55 and Samb like this.
  3. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Huge member

An uphill battle IMHO. Federal law bans their import and interstate commerce as gravity knives and places them in the same category as switchblades.

4. Klyuchak

Klyuchak Little member JDBA Official Member

Not necissarily, balisongs were found to not be switchblades under the FSA in Oregon in 1970 and many other cases. Majority of states also don't enforce the FSA.
    https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/661/11/2372514/

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  5. Blurred Memories

Blurred Memories Little Member

anyone have a link to these importation laws? i'm assuming federal law does not prevent import of switchblades, because so much boker kalashnikov blatantly available.

6. Klyuchak

Klyuchak Little member JDBA Official Member

Federal Switchblade Act of 1958

Organizations like Kniferights.org and ATKI.org have repealed and nullified the FSA completely in the vast majority of states.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  7. HonorHer

HonorHer Custom Knife Builder JDBA Official Member

this would be fucking great is the bali was finally legalized in HI!

8. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Huge member

Spyderco was busted for importing bailsong parts and also for shipping balisong parts in interstate commerce. That is what ended production of the Spyderfly.
    The good news is Sal and Eric told me last week that they are going to resume making them in the US. The smallfly will be first with a new blade design. The full size will follow also with a new blade design.

laughingbuddha likes this.
  9. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Wait wut!!!

I hope they do a full sized Smallfly instead of the Spyderfly.

The Smallfly had amazing ergos/swing.. but was just too small.

10. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Finally, something to actually look forward to. The Smallfly and Smallfly-SS were two of the coolest balisongs. Great price, great little knife.

Wut wut? Full size Smallfly-SS = Spyderfly. Or are you saying you want a Spyderfly with G10? That actually would be pretty cool.

***They offered some of the most unique flipping styles

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  11. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Full sized Smallfly is wut I'm sayn.. so g10 over liners but scaled up to full size. If they did it right it would be reeeeeeeally good.

So yeah.. basically a g10 Spyderfly but with slightly wider handles near the tang area. The ss spyderfly handles were too skinny.

12. Blurred Memories

Blurred Memories Little Member

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS I'VE HEARD ON KNIVES IN 10 YEARS!

i edc'd a spyderfly for years long before i ever tried any kind of flipping that required letting go of the handles. love that knife love that knife love that knife. this better not be some late april fool's joke or i will hunt you down!