1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Have you been to the range lately?

Sheldon_Wickersham Apr 28, 2016

1. GODDESS OF VENGEANCE

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE Crazy Bitch Lady Devil Super Moderator

I LOVE this thread! :2_thumbs_up:

My partner in crime for target shooting is my father. Unfortunately, since I've been sick I haven't had a father/daughter day of shooting. I'm missing those days! I've been to busy fighting to regain back my strength (plus..chemo has been kickin' my ass), but it doesn't mean I don't carry.......:GOV:

Thank-You for making me smile and I love the photos!

:punish:

GEEZER likes this.
  2. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

SHOOT2.JPG SHOOT3.JPG SHOOTTTTTTTTTTTTT.jpg REMINGTON 45.jpg shootsssss.jpg shootss.jpg shootssssss.jpg mark111.jpg SHOOT2.JPG SHOOT3.JPG SHOOTTTTTTTTTTTTT.jpg REMINGTON 45.jpg shootsssss.jpg shootss.jpg shootssssss.jpg mark111.jpg SHOOT2.JPG SHOOT3.JPG SHOOTTTTTTTTTTTTT.jpg REMINGTON 45.jpg shootsssss.jpg shootss.jpg shootssssss.jpg mark111.jpg

Just keep fighting the fight GOV and you know who will take care of the rest...

Here are a couple more from last week,after the finished renovation at our club.

We raised the dues enough to install all new back-stops,new glass partitions,new filtration

system and an entire 3rd floor for our meetings,training etc..

Wifey is getting better and better and becoming the new Asian Annie Oakley...

3. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

WOOPSIES!
    :punish:[/QUOTE]

Just keep fighting the fight GOV and you know who will take care of the rest...

Here are a couple more from last week,after the finished renovation at our club.

We raised the dues enough to install all new back-stops,new glass partitions,new filtration

system and an entire 3rd floor for our meetings,training etc..

Wifey is getting better and better and becoming the new Asian Annie Oakley...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    GODDESS OF VENGEANCE likes this.
  4. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

[​IMG]2017-02-07_12-32-28 by Walter Klopek, on Flickr

This victory with the red dot is pretty legit. This was from this past saturdays range excursion at 28 ft. I can hold them a little tighter but I find the red dot induces a bit of unintended speed sometimes.

El Gringo likes this.
  5. Nathan Dewey

Nathan Dewey That guy you know Knife Maker or Craftsman

I've now been at the range a total of 4 times and 299 rounds through my Lc9s pro. I've committed to atleast once per season, last range time was last week. Quick question, after 50 plus rounds I was starting to shake pretty bad, would that go away if I practiced more frequently or is it just a result of shooting multiple 9mm rounds out of a lightweight gun?

6. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

shaking sounds more like muscle fatigue than anything to em.

How's your back Nathan. A lot of variables but I think that core strength and holding a counterweight (even a light one) far away from your body can cause fatigue which is most likely the culprit.

What's you shooting stance - weaver, isosceles? I shoot isosceles and when I notice some fatigue I bring the gun in towards my body a bit or set it down and take a break.

Probably just an issue of finding the right balance of firm/relaxed grip/stance and finding your zen so to speak.

7. Nathan Dewey

I have a habit of holding the gun as far away from myself as possible with my elbows straight. That's probably it.

8. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Finally put a target in the backyard. Great little shooting session. Just need to flatten the ground where the gun is. Bit to much down hill.

Prepping for a memorial shoot this weekend. Everyone think good weather. Sadly it looks like it may be rough.

[​IMG]

9. seandavid55

So none of you did the sunshine and no wind dance for me. Thanks a lot.

Was still a great shoot last weekend. Though Saturday was rough. Well over 200 rounds at targets from 200-1200 yards. New gun did fantastic. Highly recommend Tim at Elkhorn Precision.

[​IMG]

10. Nathan Dewey

I rented a glock42 yesterday and I was really surprised how light the recoil was. It was my first experience with a glock and I noticed that though the trigger was good it had a very noticeable almost gritty reset. It looked new so I'm assuming it's just that and something tells me that it would smooth out after some use.

11. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I was asked to assist with an in-service course today. The first time since I destroyed my shoulder.

I went over some basics with the draw and reloads.

I was pleasantly surprised that I was so smooth and fast. Not my best, but not too shabby.

12. GODDESS OF VENGEANCE

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE Crazy Bitch Lady Devil Super Moderator

You ever hear of LaserLyte? They have training laser kits that will help sharpen your shooting skills and save you lots of money on ammo in the process. It's pretty cool. Check it out. :GOV:

Houston Wyatt, crogers and stdlrf11 like this.
  13. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

IMG_0689.JPG IMG_0685.JPG

I don't have a pic of the pizza box I was shooting; but trust me , I killed it good and dead.

BennytheBlade likes this.
  14. Eess45

Eess45 Tiny Member

I love my 1851 navy. I bring it to work sometimes and smoke up the range after hours. Black powder is fun.

El Gringo likes this.
  15. Sheldon_Wickersham

Sheldon_Wickersham Blue Star Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

Really slow year here, only made it to the range three or four times, usually to say good-byes (sold ten firearms), and competed in three matches. Sad, really. These are all gone now, along with others... :ross:

Blued on Black_2.jpg BHP1.jpg M1A_4.jpg P226_2.jpg JPS .44_2.jpg

begreen61, El Gringo and seandavid55 like this.
  16. Sheldon_Wickersham

Sheldon_Wickersham Blue Star Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

Today was a good range day, and overdue, albeit it a bit nippy at 41 degrees F and breezy; I need twenty hours a year working as a Range Safety Officer (RSO) to earn my comp'ed membership, so three hours today helped towards the quota. Put up a new target backer, and emptied a couple of range garbage cans while there.

The fixed stock AR is a Bushmaster factory built gun bought new by me in '93, that hasn't seen much use. The UTG bipod is a clip-on used for bench shooting scope sight-in; at <$20 delivered, I've used it to sight-in many rifles; a highly recommended product. The scope is a Nikon Pro-Staff mil-dot that was previously dedicated to my Colt H-BAR; the new owner of the H-BAR didn't want to buy the scope, and I wasn't giving it away. His loss, crazy good glass bought on the cheap; a two shot sighting group, an adjustment, another two shot group, another adjustment, then two almost touching center Bull's Eye shots at 50m (more on this later). The scope uses a single mounting screw, and while it won't stay on the rifle, it does rezero; part of today's testing.

The smaller collapsible stock AR is my run-and-gun Olympic Arms CAR-15, also bought new by me in '93; I absolutely love this gun! It, like the one above, runs flawlessly. My Burris FastFire III (FFIII) red dot sight died after six years, so I sent it in for repair; they replaced it (free of charge), so it needed sighting in too. I used the same bipod for both; easy on, easy off. Some minor adjustment, then it was on target too. Best five shot group with the Bushmaster was <1" at 50m; best with the Olympic was <3" at the same distance - the difference being a magnified scope vs. a zero power sight. Both have 11.5" barrels with fixed flash hiders.

Both old-school aluminum magazines, and newer plastic versions by Magpul were used in both guns, and both work with no issues noted. Ammo was PMC brass and WPA (Russian) steel-case; both were 55 gr., and both ran flawlessly. In fact, there were no issues with either guns, types of magazines, or types of magazines, with one exception. The WPA shoots consistently low by 2 to 3 inches at 25m/50m/and 100m - I have no explanation for this. Everything functioned and grouped well, better than I'd hoped for, but the WPA shot low. I did a lot of back and forth with guns/mags/ammo, and it just was.

I carry the 9mm S&W Shield, so shoot it as often as possible, including every range trip; and yes, it fits great in that ~$15 Glock holster. The drill I typically run starts at about ten feet out, verbal 'Stop (fill in the blank)' command, draw and fire while moving back and sideways; reload, then advance straight-on while firing. Repeat. I also carry a brushed nickel S&W 442 'Airweight' .38 Spl on occasion, but practice the drill outlined above with a slightly heavier all-steel S&W 640. Roughly 140 rounds with the two .223 AR's, another 50 with the 9mm Shield, and 25 with the 640. The knife, carried offside, is helping me get used to carrying a larger fixed blade; the cardboard is used to keep the cat off the guest bed, and to give me a working surface.

Range day.jpg

All in all, a very good day. Now, tequila and a wood stove fire. :thumbsup:

El Gringo and seandavid55 like this.
  17. seandavid55

A buddy and I brought out some rimfire pistols this last weekend at the house. Why don't I do this more often?!
    20180115_133848-800x600.jpg

18. seandavid55

Finally a nice day here. Got to chronograph some rounds. Not shooting any groups or anything. Now I'll load some up and see how they shoot. Not my normal process, but need the speed with the M1A. 20180203_124440-600x800.jpg

Need this rifle and two others ready by April. Going to be tight.

begreen61 likes this.
  19. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

Why the deadline April? Never mind..... I saw above.

seandavid55 likes this.
  20. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

RUGER .44 Magnum Alaskan Range Report
    I took my recently acquired Alaskan .44 Magnum to the range the other day. Nice!

I had several other guns I wanted to shoot so I only fired 12rounds out of it; 6 rounds of Hornady’s Critical Defense .44 Special and 6 rounds of Speer Gold Dot JHP.

The Hornady 165 grain .44 Special is 900 FPS at the muzzle while the Speer Gold Dot 240 grain .44 Magnum is 1,400 FPS. A big difference in power!

I have carpal tunnel in both hands; too much of a good thing is too much for my hands! The .44 Special was mild - enjoyable to shoot. Although recoil was stiffer in the .44 Magnum round I felt that the overall weight of the gun helped to control it somewhat. It wasn’t painful; but I don’t think my wife is ready for that!

I was shooting the gun at 10 yards; single action for both calibers - this was my first visit to the range with it. Between the weight of the gun and the grip design (and construction) made it pleasant to shoot. Next time I’ll try it in DA. I think for home defense I’ll leave it with the .44 Special ammo but if I ever do go out into the wilds of south central Texas it will be loaded with .44 Magnum ammo.

RUGER -in .44 Magnum the Alaskan Revolver is a winner! Now if only I could find a concealable leather holster for it!

seandavid55 likes this.