1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Have you been to the range lately?

Sheldon_Wickersham Apr 28, 2016

1. Sheldon_Wickersham

Sheldon_Wickersham Blue Star Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

I went today; hopefully you've gone recently too.

Montana has long winters, and I've shot in all seasons here in the last eight years (both of 'em), but have been slacking off lately, so went with a friend today.

Roughly 200 rnds total, Glock 19 115 gr. 9mm FMJ's, S&W Shield 9mm, and S&W 640 .38 Spl. 125 gr. +p JHP's. Regular defensive carry and getting warmed up for the Def. Pistol Match season.

Draw, rapidly engage each target at 10 to 20 feet with two or more shots, reholster, repeat. Except with the 640. The last four loads were at contact distance; engage with two while backing up, his pal getting the other three.

I did both Tactical Sequence, 1-2-1; and Tactical Order (2 and 2; they were equal distance away) - little movement other than 'Startled response, hands up; defensive vocalization, 'I don't want any trouble/don't want to fight you/leave me alone.' stuff, and use of a cover garment. A good day.

Said friend brought a Ruger 'Precision Rifle' in 6.5 Creedmoor - damn, that 'lil sucker was spot on with a Vortex scope. We're limited to 200 yards, so Joseph did some math, and dialed it in.

We'd walked out and placed five orange trap target disks on a berm and walked back. Five shots later, they were gone. Good stuff.

View attachment 135376

2. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

That reminds me I need to do some shooting. :thumbsup:

3. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Me too! :manganr:

4. Komodo

Komodo entertainment coordinator Brigade Member

I went to the range yesterday. :manganr:
    Went through around 700 rounds between .45, 9mm, .380, & .22 mag, mostly .45 because I was shooting the best with them.
    Outdoor range, 30' distance at a fixed 6" paper target. My groupings looked like the above pictures, and I want to THANK YOU for posting them. I thought I was doing horribly. Guess I'm not AS bad as I think I am. :manganr:

I'd like to get out to the range more than I do, but it get's a little expensive. The range is only $20 for all day, which is great, BUT...... having to replace the $300-$400 worth of ammo I throw downrange every time I go there gets to be a bit much for me. :ross:

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE likes this.
  5. Spade115

Spade115 Huge member

I have only been there once, when I purchased my .45 a few years ago.

My wife loved it. Bought 3 Chip McCormick Mags steel bottoms and took about 200 in hollow points and 400 in ball ammo (Buddy gave me a crap load of ammo as a wedding gift)

20 dollar for the day, at one of my local stores.

Wifes been wanting to go and i have 2 new guns so will have to make time to go shoot some.

I have pics somewhere, I have one I really like of my wife shooting and you can see the bullet case spinning behind her back. Love the way it looks lol

Found Pic

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2016
  6. Rev Jim

Rev Jim Little member

I went last Sunday by myself which was different. We go most Sundays, with the wife and kids and then go to lunch. The boys like to shoot their rifles so we generally get two lanes on the rifle side and shoot handguns on one lane and rifles on the other. It's nice to have something to do with the kids as they get older.

7. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

just a friendly suggestion. You may want to teach the wife not to put her support thumb across the back of a semi-auto. That will lead to her getting hurt and that will lead to her losing interest.

Mark M. likes this.
  8. Spade115

Spade115 Huge member

Will do thanks!

:D

She's been wanting to go and Ive been wanting to build my lower receiver into something so soon (Hopefully)

Mike Grasso likes this.
  9. Malt

Malt PEW PEW Brigade Member

Was out trying some reloads to day. Shooting at 100m and 200m whit 223 and 200m- 400m whit the 308. Nice and warm, fun day at the range.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Sheldon_Wickersham

I'm diggin' that range, Malt - nice hardware too! :thumbsup:

11. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

I try to hit the indoor pistol range up whenever I can but it's the police depts training center and only open to the public on Sat & Wednesdays.

Here's last Saturdays go round. 28ft is as close as they'l let us shoot, no drawing from holster - no silhouette targets.

This is my first couple of mags with teh rock.
    [​IMG]2016-05-09_12-06-23 by ryan libson, on Flickr

This one was my last few mags I think.
    [​IMG]2016-05-09_11-40-40 by ryan libson, on Flickr

Got lazy and pulled a few but not too bad shooting for me.

Still need to get out to the outdoor range to sight in my new AR.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2016
  12. Sheldon_Wickersham

Defensive Pistol Match day today; of the 36 shooters, most had fun, some did not. papercut, take note. We had a new shooter with a new gun, a SIG Legion P226; he was having a really rough go. We ended up lubing his gun and rerunning him. Then, swapped ammo, then found a shooter on another squad shooting a (WG) P226; a rarity these days, and swapped mags - all to no avail. Malf? Name it, and he likely had it. Mind you, I am a SIG fan, but man, seriously, SIG, at $1k+? WTF?

View attachment 135691 Deutsch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2016
  13. Malt

Malt PEW PEW Brigade Member

Had a trip to the range to day, shooting my capsicum sig p226. Next match is national championship in production in about one mont. Been shooting classic for the last 3 nationals. Nice whether to day, cold but nice.
    Here is some of the stages from our clubs last match revolver national
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Sheldon_Wickersham

^ Good times! :thumbsup:

15. Ninjaz7

Ninjaz7 Huge member

Its been a bit, sighting in a 1022 takedown a few months ago, put a burris 4x mini on it to fit in the bag...seeing Malt's range reminds me of a spot in montana.

16. TheBadGuy

TheBadGuy NATURE'S FINEST Super Moderator

I went today with the wife. I shot my CZ .17 HMR and my Daewoo DR-200 both suppressed for the first time today and put some rounds through my Glock 23. I really enjoyed it! I need to crank up my reloading press so I can go more often.

17. Sheldon_Wickersham

Glad to hear you guys are getting out too! I went again Thursday with Lee, a former Golden, CO. DS (age 72), and Michael, a former Trenton, NJ. Cop (aged 74) - sumbitches can, and still do shoot.

AR's2.jpg

I took these two, and unfortunately, the RD isn't interchangeable from a POI standpoint. Spot on with the fixed stock; 3" high and 4" right on the collapsible.

More rounds with the Shield 9mm carry gun too - still lovin' that 'lil gun...

18. PNWJimbo

PNWJimbo Stoned Adventurer Brigade Member

Recently got the chance to meet up with a bunch of strangers and shoot their guns. It was a lot of fun, made some friends, and learned a lot. Also got to shoot some incredible guns... Before today, I had never shot anything but handguns in 9mm really. Here I got to shoot a shotgun, multiple assault rifles, and basically every handgun I've had on the dream list (Beretta 92fs, cz75, hk usp 45 and hk 45, a god damn deasert eagle and many many other beauties.) Also the guy who set up the meetup was a big WW2 buff and weapon collector, and he had some seriously cool rifles which you will see. Definitely the best day of 2016 so far for me.

Most of the rifles:

[​IMG]

Vietnam AR:

[​IMG]

The Other rack:

[​IMG]

One guy was nice enough to teach me how an AR system works on his two:

[​IMG]

The same guy's brand new benelli shotgun:

[​IMG]

Moving over to the pistol range... How did I forget to mention the silenced Sig 1911??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MP5 and clone (i think)?:

[​IMG]

Ok here is where it gets pretty damn cool. All original L42A1. What a dream to shoot.

[​IMG]

And finally... The replica BAR!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:thumbsup:

19. Sheldon_Wickersham

Now that's a range day! :thumbsup:

20. genetik_defekt

genetik_defekt Little member

I haven't been for about 13 months unfortunately. My club range is almost an hour each way. Because my club registration expired the police notified me yesterday to either forfeit my glock or pay my fees.

The laws here in Australia are because of a knee jerk reaction by politicians to secure theirs seats in Parliament

My advice to all Americans that enjoy freedom is to stand by your constitution like it was your only child. Because once the government is allowed by the people to step on your documented rights, there is no stopping them.