1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Harry's Shave

KaliKid Sep 19, 2016

1. KaliKid

KaliKid Brigade Member Brigade Member

Has anyone tried the Harry's Shave products? If so, what do you think about it? Thanks in advance! :helix:

2. Towelie

Towelie The JD: Don't Forget To Bring A Towel Brigade Member

no, but their ad pops up on my BBC news app constantly. I been meaning to ask someone too.

KaliKid likes this.
  3. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

:bwah: Me three!

I'm thinking I'm going to give them a try once I finish off these Fusions. Tired of buying these - crazy overpriced

KaliKid likes this.
  4. KaliKid

Exactly!! I'm sick of having to dish out money for razors that last a couple of shaves. Target and Wally World keeps getting that cash!

5. Towelie

Towelie The JD: Don't Forget To Bring A Towel Brigade Member

There's also Dollar Shave Club I hear about on the radio all the time.

6. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

I've been satisfied with my old style Gillette safety razor.

Bought a 100 pack of blades for $6....
    That was back in 2012.
    Still have over 50 left.

If I hadn't done that, I'd be looking at stuff like Harry's or dollar shave club.

I'm still interested to hear others' experiences.

7. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

I too went with a safety razor (Merkur) a few years ago. I think I've stocked up enough blades for the next 10 years.:thumbsup:

8. MTXCraze

MTXCraze I flip therefore I am JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I switched to a straight razor like 5 years ago and haven't looked back.

My boss was going to look into that Harry's thing but ended up buying a cheap safety razor and a pack of blades and is pretty happy with the results so far.

9. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

When I retired in 2007 I stopped shaving.

10. Revs

Revs Little member

When I had to shave regularly, I signed up for the Dollar Shave Club. The razor isn't bad, I think it is a 4 blade, and ended up getting a second one. Then, when I got a job that let me grow a beard, my oldest son took the razor and I've kept the subscription up for him. He likes them. I did. But, I also used a straight razor and safety razor. For out of town trips, loved the DSC razor. The feel of a straight razor shave or safety razor shave are hard to beat, though. Been known to use either when I shave my head or trim my neck.

KaliKid likes this.
  11. KaliKid

So the consensus is basically it is a decent product I guess (since we are talking about Dollar Shave Club). I may pull the trigger and give them a try. I will let you guys know how it works out and if they are worth it. Thank you for everyone's input. :thumbsup:

12. stdlrf11

I was talking to a buddy the other day who recommended DSC. He was very happy with the razors and the shave creams and other skin care products.

13. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

I've been using Harry's for over a year or so now. Overall, pretty satisfied with them.
    And their products are getting even better with some recent refinements:

Their initial razor I found had a rather slippery handle. New versions have a sort of *jimping* to provide better grip. I found them better and are recommended.
    And the 5 blade German made cartridges were great for a smooth overall shave, but I still needed a smaller blade head for my sideburns
    and getting under my nose, after I started going w/o a mustache. Used a Schick Extreme 3 for those places but now Harry's has redesigned their
    blades to include an additional single blade on the top to trim with. All good now.

Free/dependable shipping makes the blades

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2016
    KaliKid likes this.
  14. mag1

mag1 No More Mr. Nice Guy Brigade Member

Dollar shave club I use for the past month.
    better than any razor you can buy at walmart or target...And a hell of a lot cheaper.
    no cuts or bumps. I use their shave butter and I like it much better than shave gel.
    Im happy so far.

15. Billy_Goat

Billy_Goat JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I'm going to give harrys a try. Can't beat the free trial pack and just 3 bucks for shipping.

KaliKid likes this.
  16. BowtownBlade

BowtownBlade Brigade Member Brigade Member

This has a thread somewhere here. I use these guys. Sometimes I will get 6 months out of one blade, most the time I get 3 months before it starts to pull. I do not get "heavy" facial hair tho. It works out to be very cheap for me using the cryo treated blades.

http://www.greatrazors.com/

17. Ross

Ross honorary Italian Brigade Member

My dad likes Harry's, I note that Target carries their stuff now so it's easy to get.

For me, like some others here, I recently switched to a safety razor and couldn't be happier. I was using the cheapest disposables I could find and those still weren't THAT cheap. I also felt that the multiple blades didn't really add anything to the shave. I was a little nervous about switching to an "old fashioned" way of shaving but for me, it works better than anything else I've tried.

I use a Feather Popular handle ($13 on Amazon), Wilkinson Sword blades (make sure you get the ones made in Germany, maybe $20 for 100) and Zirh shave gel. Zirh is getting harder to get, no one locally sells it, but it is the best shave gel period, and I've tried dozens. Also, for those with beards/mustaches, Zirh has zero foam so there is no problem seeing where you are shaving.

18. KaliKid

I forgot to update this thread. Let me first thank everyone for their input on this subject. I actually decided to dive into a safety razor instead of sticking with the multi bladed ones. I got a Van Der Hagen safety razor and I am currently using the Van Der Hagen DE blades it came with.

I could not be more happier! It was pretty hairy (no pun intended) my first shave with it, but it is almost like, where the hell have you been my whole life! Not only was it the closest shave I have ever had in my life, but my face feels a lot better. So they say no more ingrown hairs, etc., I am all for this!

I am currently using the C.O. Bigelow shave cream, but will experiment with the different shave soaps. Although it takes a lot longer to shave now, the results are well worth it! Good bye disposable razors! :manganr:

19. stdlrf11

I actually like the van der Hagan shave butter, and their shave soap is okay too. I tried different 'boutique' brands you get online, but I wasn't impressed.

Get you some different blades to try out, like Feather and Astra. It's fun figuring out which ones you prefer.

20. KaliSong

KaliSong JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I switched to an old-school safety razor about 2 years ago and never looked back. The safety razor itself was an Edwin Jagger. I honestly don't remember which brand razor blades I'm using. I'm still on the initial pack of 100 I bought and haven't had any need/desire to look for anything else. I should probably look into a sampler pack though. For all I know I'm missing out on a blade I would like even more. Although the miser in me would still want to use up all of these first.