1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Hardening Dyed Leather

McCoy1996 Oct 13, 2014

1. McCoy1996

McCoy1996 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Hello, I got a square of leather to make sheaths with from Michael's recently and it was quite soft. I was hoping after I molded it and finished it, it'd harden out... Is there any possible way I can harden leather that has been dyed and finished? I don't really want to have to redo the sheath, but the fit just is not there with the leather being so soft.

2. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

The leather that they sell at Michael's sucks for sheath work. Sorry there is no other way to describe it. I go to a leather place and buy like 1/2 a hide and I get to pick what I want. If you do not have that option then go thru Tandy and get some 8 - 9 oz vegetable tanned leather if making sheaths single ply, if making smooth leather in and out (double ply) the get 4 oz leather. Good luck. Some pics might be helpful. You can make leather harder by wetting it. Did you use finished leather? Or did you finish it yourself?

3. McCoy1996

I got a square before from Michael's and it was pretty stiff. This square is just too soft for what I needed it for. The package isn't detailed very much, just says vegetable tanned leather :bwah: Pretty sure it wasn't finished. Will probably just order some online next time, as the nearest tandy store is 2 hours away and there aren't any leather places that I know of in my area. Might have to give that a Google. I've just gotten into sheath making and don't have a lot of cash to drop on it though.

4. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Yeap! Check around. Going to the shop is the best way. The one that I purchase from, usually has scrap pieces that are too small for their work but big enough for small sheaths and they sell them really cheap. Please post some pics of your work.

Kind regards

Shike

5. McCoy1996

Waiting on the dye to dye on an ultratech neck sheath I made yesterday. Baked the leather at 180 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes after molding and it hardened up nicely. Will update with pics once I get home later.

Front and back, back is, meh. Stole the buckle thingy off a CRKT minimalist, works nicely. I have yet to get an awl... Use a wooden hammer and thicker needle to make the holes :ropeman:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014
    begreen61 likes this.
  6. firebolt

firebolt Hollandse Duivel Brigade Member

dunking it in hot beeswax will make it very hard :thumbsup:

7. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

That's exactly what the wife told me the other night. :ropeman:

:devilwag:

begreen61 likes this.