1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Hammering a heat treated blade straight

hamburger Jul 27, 2019

1. hamburger

hamburger Super Deluxe Double Cheeseburger Knife Maker or Craftsman

help!

i got like 6 blades that have already been heat treated and they are not straight. i think i need to hammer these straight.

how is the best way?

do i do the hammering on a anvil as in steel blade to steel anvil? or do i hammer the blade propped up on a wooden block with a void below the bent blade?

i think i need to use a brass hammer also

please advise

Jim L. likes this.
  2. Terrapin83

Terrapin83 Little Member

How bad is the warp? And what kind of steel? If it's within grinder range, then maybe just grind them straight. If it's really bad, you might have to heat treat them again. I mostly work with 1080, 1084, 1095, and 5160. Trying to straighten them when they are cold is generally a bad idea, and can create microfractures or even snap the blade in half (ask me how I know :shithappens:).

When I get warps in my blades now, if they are further than I can clean up when grinding, I'll just reheat them back to forging temp, straighten them out, go through the normalization cycles, then requench and hope they stay straight. I've heard of some guys clamping their blade between two slabs of mild steel during the hardening process to help minimize warpage. I haven't tried it yet, but I have a blade I'm currently working on that warped in the quench, so I'll be giving it a go soon. I guess the idea is that the thicker mild steel will be less likely to warp in the quench and will help to keep the blade straight during the quench. But admittedly, I am still fairly new to bladesmithing, but I have learned at this point not to bother trying to straighten a cold blade. As soon as you hear that "ting" of the metal snapping, it's all over.

Jim L. likes this.
  3. Jim L.

Jim L. knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Like @Tarapin83 said, hammering on a blade that's been heat treated is a great way to make a short blade out of a long one.

Do you have the ability to heat treat the bkade yourself?