1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Half Speed Mastering Vinyl from Abbey Road Studios

RNST Mar 2, 2016

1. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

I learned something new this week about cutting vinyl records at half speed ie 16.7 RPM vs 33.3 RPM.

Abbey Road studios has begun production of these limited run LP's due for delivery in April 2016

Check out the YouTube if you want to go back in the past with a recording engineer from Abbey Road.

PS. There is a contest to win 6 of these albums. :D

[video=youtube_share;AjjgPVipuXc]https://youtu.be/AjjgPVipuXc?list=PLHgcVajuHV8t4fm7KQtbQYcS_w7eDwuN U[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2016
  2. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

Nice post.

obi

3. XamaX

XamaX Huge member

Do you think that the same theory in principle is why they offer different speeds when burning CDs?

4. RNST

Not too sure how to answer that question. From a playback standpoint I understand the following:

Typical audio CD playback at 44kHz and 16 bits.

There is a push to higher frequencies 96 and 192 kHz with 24 bits. These are the FLAC rates providing higher resolution than typical audio or even SACD's. These formats play more information than the normal CD and take a lot more memory for storage.

If I recall there is a site called Digital River that under licence provides the higher fidelity songs at the same source the music was originally recorded in a digital format.

FLAC Players are made by Sony, Astell and Kearn and Neil Young's PONO Player. They all require higher end DAC chips than found in a CD player. Usually Burr Brown or Analog Devices IC's.

I own a PONO and can say there is a noticeable improvement in the 'depth of sound' vs your typical MP3 or CD. Interesting feature on the PONO is they have a Revealer that has Neil Young's Old Man song played in CD, MP3 and FLAC Format and you can switch resolutions while playing the song. Quite amazing to hear the difference in playback formats.

So back to vinyl :) I went ahead and ordered The Police Ghost in the Machine from Abbey Road Studios. I'll report back when I have received the half rate recorded LP.

5. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

I have a cheaper FLAC player (plays everything, including WMA, OGG, etc.) called a Fiio X1.

The sound quality, if you have the headphones, is pretty awesome.

I listen to live music recordings, and when you can get your hands on a good soundboard recording that has been ripped straight to FLAC, it's like hearing what the sound man heard that night.

obi

6. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

cool, interesting:thumbsup:

7. XamaX

XamaX Huge member

Awesome info RNST.

I can certainly see why audiophiles take their kit and media seriously!

Vinyl is a wonderful format- especially if you have a decent record deck/system to play them on. What a shame that that there seems to be a limited lifespan to a record even if you take the greatest of care.

My most treasured (to me) piece of vinyl is now so terribly scratched it is not worth playing (Mr Bungle's first Album on picture disc)!

Though I have a ripped version in a high quality bitrate there was something special about carefully extracting the record from its sleeve and delicately placing the needle in the groove. Quite a ritualistic process. However in my collection there was always that horrible impending feeling of dread when you knew that you were nearing a scratch on a track and the whole ambience would be shattered!

A friend of mines uncle has a Mitchell transcriptor Record deck as seen in the movie a clockwork orange but it is mainly for show.

Viva la record!:thumbsup:

8. RNST

Yah I know it, yours is less expensive. I got in on the Kickstarter for PONO at $299.

Recently purchased a pair of IEM Cardas A8's with a Balanced Cable. The PONO has the ability to output from the line out and the headphone jack simultaneously. It is a mind blowing experience to hear Stevie Ray Vaughn Little Wing in a FLAC file with those IEM's in Balanced Mode!

hmm, not too sure I agree with the aging of vinyl. If you take very good care, store them upright in a cool dry place and within an excellent quality sleeve; there is really no worry about aging of the vinyl.

It wasn't any foresight on my part but back in the day, I would play the vinyl ONCE while making a cassette tape for the car. So all my vinyl from the 1970's etc is still in as new condition. Sure there are LP's like Joe Walsh's "Rocky Mountain Way" that are scratched and still have beer stains on them but damn they do still sound good. Even my Sgt Peppers (Parlaphone Label) that I bought in the UK as a youngster is still in top shape.

Largely most of my new collection now is either new 180g or even 200g vinyl or from Used Vinyl stores. I developed a pretty good rapport with a local shop and he sends me a notification if he has incoming Brit Rock, Classic Rock, Jazz or Blues that I might be interested in. One record I got last week was one my parents used to play "Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass" in audiophile format which is recorded straight to vinyl. Not a scratch or spec of dust anywhere on it :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2016
  9. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

My LPs are all the same; played once to record and never played again. Now they act as ballast to hold my wall unit down :manganr:

10. RNST

To think my wife had the unmitigated gall to try to take my old vinyl to the dump a few years ago before I got my new turntable, amp and powered speaker. So sorry honey, the vinyl is forever :bwah:

11. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

I buy half-speed masters whenever I get the chance, been enjoying MFSL (MoFi) pressings for 35 years or so....Supertramp`s "Crime Of The Century", Pink Floyd`s DSOM, Santana "Abraxas", Steely Dan "Katy Lied", and others represent the higher end of the vinyl experience.

Lately, I`ve seen recent offerings recorded on 180-gram vinyl, at 45 RPM (!). These are typically 2-record packaging. Haven`t purchased any of those yet, kinda been eyeballing this one:
    http://www.musicdirect.com/p-423171...2h1Q.EGbe.AeHs-A..Aj4Wyg.b..l.C9eT.n...22ZesQ

12. RNST

13. waterdogs

That U2 album looks like a real collector`s item....I`m diggin` that U2 Travel Flask, I wonder if it comes with Jameson`s or Bushmills already in it.... :madaddy:

Any of you guys use reel-to-reel decks ?

14. redbike

redbike Huge member

15. waterdogs

16. RNST

I've drooled over those turntables on various sites until I saw the cost. Some are $17 K and upwards from there :ropeman:

I have always wondered if in a blind sound test with a low cost turntable (like mine) with a good cartridge sounds like vs a rig like that one. Assuming the power amplifier and speaker set up is identical.

17. redbike

redbike Huge member

I've worked my way up the ladder with my system over about 20 years and yes, you can hear the difference. The improvements do get incrementally smaller the more you spend, though. The one thing I can say is that a modest turntable, properly set up will sound better than a more costly one that is not.

18. waterdogs

That is definitely a nice TT ! :thumbsup: Is it a VPI ? What kind of tonearm and cart are you running ?

19. redbike

redbike Huge member

Yeah, VPI TNT Mk. VI. Tone arm is their JMW Memorial and right now , there's a Sumiko Blackbird hanging off the end of it. Phono stage is Audio Reasearch Corp. Phono 5.

20. waterdogs

Yeah, that`s a beauty, a real "Grail" unit ! :devilwag:

What are a few of your favorite LPs ?

I`m basically a vintage guy, got several old Pioneer decks that don`t sound half bad once they`ve been restored and set up properly with a decent cart. Not bad for 40 year-old junk.... :bwah: