1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Gun for Runner?

TheBadGuy May 7, 2015

1. TheBadGuy

TheBadGuy NATURE'S FINEST Super Moderator

Hi all,

I have a problem. My wife is an avid runner and runs long distances nearly every day. She has a S&W 642 that she carries in a belly band and when not running it resides inside a pocket holster in her purse. Every time she finishes running she wipes the gun down with an oiled cloth. Well a few weeks ago she showed me her revolver and it looked like it's been destroyed. Finish was peeling off, marred marks on barrel and rusting trigger. I just sent it back to S&W to look at it last week. So while it was off at S&W I gave her my Ruger LCP to carry. She has only had it for a few days and when she got back from her run yesterday she noticed the slide release had surface rust. What the heck? I have pocket carried that gun for years and couldn't believe my eyes. She has been wiping it down with cloth and Break Free and that doesnt seem to be doing the trick. I suggested a waterproof pouch like they have for cell phones but she is concerned that wouldn't allow for quick enough access. She has encountered coyotes, a bobcat, rabid dogs and more while running and wants ready access. Any ideas? I am fine buying her a different gun or rig up but I would have never thought LCP would rust so quickly like this. I am stunned.

Thanks
    Jason

2. voimakas

voimakas JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Perhaps a stainless LCR? It'll more stain resistant, though I'd assume you'd still need to clean and oil it every time. And polymer doesn't rust so I think that's a decent route to go.

3. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

Body heat & sweat???

4. TheBadGuy

Yes Gary. She is soaked in sweat when she comes home but dang what do you do? I thought her 642 which is stainless would be fine if she just wiped it down and kept it oiled but no dice there. I need to find a waterproof set up that allows it to be accessed quickly I guess because she has only been carrying the LCP for a couple days. I might check out the stainless LCR. I have never really saw one of those. I guess the more polymer the better but the LCP has very little metal and it's taking a hit. Maybe frog lube?

5. EOD13

EOD13 Balisong Addict JDBA Official Member

That is pretty tough.... just the amount of salt in sweat and constant exposure will do this, but how long does she go running for? An hour, maybe 2? Maybe she just needs to spend a bit more time on the clean down and oiling and all that. It's easy to get lazy. Ever consider going a different route and trying a g26 baby glock or something of that sort? It would be small, much more rust resistant and reliable (it's a glock...)

6. TheBadGuy

Her schedule varies but she goes for 8-15 miles a day. So sometimes it might be 45 minutes and sometimes a couple hours. I bought a tub of Hopes gun wipes. I am hoping that will help. I don't know about a 26. Maybe a 42. She says every once counts and a 26 is kind of beefy.

7. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Since she's already used to the 642, send it out for cerrakote.

Be sure to include the steel springs and have them coated too.

Maybe buy a new set of springs and the internals may already be pretty rusty.

8. TheBadGuy

Yeah I am thinking about doing just that. I am waiting to see what S&W does with that one now. They just got it on Monday and confirmed my RMA is being processed but no other info yet. I just got a AR cerakoted at a local place so I know just where to go.

9. unreconstructedgordo

unreconstructedgordo Level: True Devil

sounds likea 442 nickle, the finish peels like you said. I don't see how stainless can peel.:ropeman:

10. TheBadGuy

It had like a clear coat on it that is flaking off. I will post photos next time I'm on computer.

11. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

If you get a tiny Glock then it can be unloaded and run under the faucet after a run.... then shaken dry. Whatcha think?

12. lesserevil 665

lesserevil 665 Little member

If every ounce counts a stainless Kahr p380 may fit the bill. Its one of the only pocket guns thats +p rated. Its got a MUCH better trigger than the lcp and some of the best sights of any mouse gun Ive ever had.
    My preferred cc is the g39 but if im wearin athletic shorts mowing the lawn or something I slide that lil bugger in the pocket.

13. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

plastic gun....

a single stack Glock 9 rinsed and oiled after every run; wrapped in an oily rag in a small backpack might work.

On the other hand; my father went through wrist watches on a regular basis; his sweat and body chemistry corroded stainless steel watch backs in a month or two!

14. Sheldon_Wickersham

Sheldon_Wickersham Blue Star Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

Sounds like a S&W 9mm Shield (nothing else comes to mind, sorry) might work...

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015
  15. TheBadGuy

A Glock may be the way to go. The problem is that the 42 & 43 are both on my want list.l Now I got to her one too? :devilzeek:unintroduced:

16. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

I believe you are looking at this wrong.

You are all fixated on the weapon.

You should be fixated on the holster.

Your wife is not the first one to have this problem.

Officers run into it all the time.

Most have switched to a lightweight Camel Back for water and but the pistol in that.

Other officers, including myself just put the small weapon in a plastic baggie and then the pouch.

Chances are your wife will see what's coming and can get to the weapon, whether in a pouch or back pack.

Mike

17. TheBadGuy

Mike, I agree. I feel like the 642 in a zip lock bag would be good and she could even fire it inside the bag but she feels like it is not as readily available and doesn't feel as confident with it inside of something like that.

She does use a Camelbak. But the model she has doesn't have a compartment that would work for this use. Maybe she should look at other Camelbaks.

Thanks

18. unreconstructedgordo

unreconstructedgordo Level: True Devil

have room on the inside of the bladder compartment toward the outside? Most do if you don't completely fill the bladder. :devilwag:

19. TheBadGuy

Yeah but that's on the center of her back. If she is not content with the firearm in a ziplock in her bellyband I doubt she'll feel good about it being in compartment in center of back. I either need to get her out in the yard to do some shooting with ziplock bag so she can see it doesn't degrade readiness or I need to get her bigger Camelbak with compartment on front

Mike Grasso likes this.
  20. Komodo

Komodo entertainment coordinator Brigade Member