1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Gun Control

Manganr Jun 9, 2022

1. Manganr

Manganr Devils Supermoderator Super Moderator

As an outsider the gun laws in the US seem crazy. Looking at the recent school shooting in the US, an 18 year old buying semi automatic assault rifles for his birthday is a recipe for disaster. The purpose of an assault rifle is to kill people right? Just wondering what the JD brothers opinions are. Not wanting to go political on this (though I accept it is in a way).
    Does an outdated law need updating or is it just the way it should be?

2. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

First, the term "semi automatic assault rifles" is oxymoronic. By definition, assault rifles are capable of FULL-AUTO fire.

Now, if we can't trust an 18 year old to buy a semi-auto rifle, how can we hand that 18 y.o. a fully auto machine gun, grenades, large bore heavy machine guns, rocket launchers, artillery, etc. and send him or her off to a foreign country to kill people? Or, how can we trust them to operate the deadliest tool in history... the automobile?

When I was 18, my Uncle Sam handed me an M-16, trained me to shoot accurately out to several hundred meters, and sent me forth with the plans to kill and/or die, if needed, in the protection of my Nation and fellow citizens. Fortunately, the only shot I ever fired in anger was at the rifle range when I was pissed off at my Drill Sargent!

The use of ANY firearm, or other weapon, is at the discretion of the user. Without a HUMAN to pull the trigger, a firearm is an inanimate object with no mind of its own. I've owned numerous firearms in my life and have NEVER killed another human being.

Responsible gun ownership is the answer. You can't legislate stupid and never will be able to.

3. Worker

Worker Slacker Brigade Member

Our country is morally bankrupt. Our civilization is collapsing. Our institutions can no longer be trusted.You can ban anything you want. It is not going to stop what is coming. I personally believe we are in the beginning stages of a total collapse of western civilization.

This gun control package is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Woke ideology is more dangerous to this country than any semi automatic rifle.

4. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Crogers hit the nail on the head.

5. Manganr

Manganr Devils Supermoderator Super Moderator

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Crogers. Some valid points even if I don't agree with all of them. Another question then, How can you have a system of responsible gun ownership when you don't have to prove you're a responsible person?

6. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

There really aren't systems in place to prove a specific level of responsibility for anything. If a drivers license proved it, there wouldn't be any accidents or DUIs.

Unfortunately, people are the problem. The ideas of respect and accountability are long gone.

7. snache

snache Should be a custom title here

Does anyone really think that the person bent on destruction will just give up on the idea if he can't get a gun? Explosive devices can be made quite easily from the internet and common ingredients, how about cars, knives, chain saws,etc etc. Yes guns can make it easier but not the only choice. There is upwards of 400,000 guns in the US, including police military and citizens. Politicians only care about getting elected by any means, including bogus policy. We are now reaping the effects of the new social/news media. Guns will go away someday in the distant future( I remember even cartoons, ads had guns as a positive, TV Shows, movies etc etc too back in my day) but the causes of abhorrent behavior will not.

Balibuyer, crogers and Manganr like this.
  8. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

Responsibility, in my case, came from my parents teaching me about firearm safety. I got a BB rifle when I was ridiculously young. But, it taught me safe firearm handling. As I got older, I moved up to larger, more powerful firearms.

I was an outstanding handgun marksman many years before I was legally allowed to purchase them.

In my home state, one must attend classes and prove a modicum of proficiency before being allowed to apply for a concealed carry permit. Then comes the fingerprinting and background check.

Most states have similar requirements. But, not everyone was as fortunate as I was. But, like Sean said, driver's testing and training STILL doesn't guarantee common sense. Unfortunately, there seems to be little that can be done about that.

I wish I had all the answers, but then again, neither does anyone else.

seandavid55, Manganr and snache like this.
  9. snache

snache Should be a custom title here

Responsibility is a different issue from the school etc shootings.

Warthog and crogers like this.
  10. Worker

Worker Slacker Brigade Member

I don't know. How do you prove you are a responsible person? Paul Pelosi just got a Driving under the influence charge dropped after crashing his Porsche in Napa the other night. Was he responsible? He bought a Porsche and got drunk. No charges because he is rich and connected.

Maybe they should just say if you are rich and connected you can have firearms. But if your middle class you need to follow the laws. Like only rich people get to have guns. Rich obviously means responsible. So if you get drunk and wreck your Porsche.. well you are responsible. No charges.

Or maybe we should do it by crime statistics. Lets say you live in a poor neighborhood where everyone is ethnic for lack of a better word and because you live there and crime stats are high. No gun for you.

I could go on. I still believe it does not matter at this point. Ban all guns here. They will be shipping crates of AK-47's across the border with the loads of Fentanyl. Because there is money to be made.

You know in San Fransisco more people have died this year from overdoses than Covid or gun crimes. It is all a shell game. If they told you to care about drugs more than guns the sheep would just follow along. Then drugs would be bad again. Stop being programmed.

Think for yourself.

Samb, snache, Warthog and 1 other person like this.
  11. Warthog

Warthog Enormous member

IMO - Solving the problem of someone miss-using a firearm is not an issue of training, safe storage, responsibility, insurance, waiting periods, background checks, registration, licensing, or any of the myriad other leftist agenda precursors to gun confiscation (their ultimate goal).

Murder is illegal. Killing a room full of school children is illegal. No new law will magically stop a demented mind or an evil heart. That argument is disingenuous in the extreme. If laws worked to prevent crime, we would have no crime.

Leftists know that. They don't care. They want to eliminate free, independent, citizens, and they must get the guns to do it. People pushing this agenda are enemies of the Constitution.

The solutions are very simple: vigilance, situational awareness, physical security, and possessing the willingness, and means, to confront and thwart evil, without hesitation, when necessary.

Guns are no more inherently dangerous, by themselves, than knives, hammers, screwdrivers, or any other tool.

We must be willing to remove violent criminals from society. Until we are, as a society; nothing will change.

Samb, crogers, chutcher and 2 others like this.
  12. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

I tell you what I tell my friends in Spain that don't get things here in the USA as far as gun control, mind your own fucking business because when I look at the shit going on there is a lot worst than what goes on here. They have zero clues or never been here or tried to understand before yaping their mouth. Gun control is for honest people not the mental ill people or criminals. Not directed at the OP or anybody here.

Samb, woodlander, crogers and 2 others like this.
  13. Balibuyer

Balibuyer JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Alot of great opinions here that take the words right out of my mouth. We all know whats happening and why its happening. We all know what we need to do and what others should do.

Bottom line we can't be fully controlled until the guns are out of our hands. Which I honestly don't see happening in our lifetime.....our children's maybe.......

All they can do is fuck with us.....which they are doing hardcore right now.

If all these other mofos would stay off the damn facebooks, and ticker toks, bullshitograms they would realize its a very small percentage of fucked up people voicing their bullshit over these platforms....the rest of us are still quite normal and at work everyday doing shit that is actually needed daily by society.

I stopped watching the news years ago, but its always seemed quite easy to pick out the bullshit from the actual shit.

Become more self reliant and don't make it easy for the government to offset you if they decided to fuck the grocery supply up for a few weeks or whatever they got up their sleeve.

All this other shit going on is a way for them to say, "Hey dumbass, look over here while we go fuck this up over there."

seandavid55 and crogers like this.
  14. buddy

buddy Slide to unlock JDBA Official Member

Simple, we have a "Gun culture" problem. That is just a junk box term that it's a accumulating of a society who's youths have grown up on internet connecting to people only virtually. They be struggling enough emotionally and socially but not nearly enough where they have a semblance of maturity and being humble that real struggles usually instills. Also the idea of entitlement is a problem from shit like the me too/cancel culture to the idea that just because you get bullied you have some right to take that out on others. Plus you have copy cat shooters. Just in 2022 you have had 250 mass shootings and 27 school shootings in just US. That is more then a few fluke off examples.

Fix for all this shit is difficult. Easiest steps is if US thinks you are not responsible enough to buy an alcoholic drink or a sig until you are 21... I do not know how you have the right to have the power to take a life so easily.

Next step is to have more background checks and more thorough gun training courses and exams. This also well help to hopefully lower the huge amount of accidental shootings or family members getting to weapons that were not properly stored. This should include some level of Psych eval. If you have a history of things like self harm, harm to others or threats like shooting up a school you should be flagged in some way. Seems a lot of these shooters had past things that should of been dealt with in some way. For example after 911 if you try going to the airport and saying shit like "I am going to blow up the plane" your ass will instantly be on a no fly list.

15. woodlander

woodlander Brigade Member Brigade Member

I found this in another thread on this forum. It seemed relevant.

upload_2022-6-10_18-34-18.png

snache likes this.