1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Grinder Spring Replacement

Tinysd Oct 21, 2017

1. Tinysd

Tinysd Skull Cracker Brigade Member

I have always disliked the spring that provides the tracking on the KMG
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought a 40 pound gas spring from McMaster-Carr and had to figure out how to mount it. I drilled and tapped the arm that the tracking wheel is mounted to.
    [​IMG]

I decided to mount the bottom of the spring to the tool rest arm mount. I took a piece of 1 inch square and threw it on the lathe to face, drill and tap. I then welded it to the mount.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After it cooled, I put it all together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It runs smoother and the tracking is excellent. I only wish I had done this sooner.

It cost me $17 for the spring and about an hour of my time.

2. Tinysd

Tinysd Skull Cracker Brigade Member

Figured I would bump this with my newest modification.

I wanted to make it a direct drive. There are a few ways to do it. I do not need a new motor, so I wasn't going to buy a new one that mounts on the shaft side. That also meant that I didn't have to make a mounting plate or take the grinder apart.

I used a Lovejoy coupling.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To get the shafts to line up I made a mounting plate for the motor. The plate also got the height of the shaft correct. I used some existing tapped holes to mount the plate.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Completed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It runs much more quietly with less vibration. It also allowed me to move the VFD back. I did have to move the tooling arm storage.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  3. woodlander

woodlander Brigade Member Brigade Member

Maybe it is just me, but I am not seeing any of the images.

4. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Same here. Looks like stabber was here! :bwah:

5. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

They all show for me.