1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Grind-in 2016

Fenlore Apr 21, 2016

1. C-Bear

C-Bear Brigade Member Brigade Member

It would work best for me if it isn't the same weekend (as I'd still like to go to Bark River's), and I dunno if you'd all have me, as I'm just a newb. But I'd love to go.

Can we have a show of hands who would be interested in a Grind In somewhere else this year if it can be arranged?

I'll start:

1. RoyalM
    2. Meridian Blades
    C) C-Bear

2. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

I guess I am surprised by most of this.

It is true that i have not had the time to be here but sometimes you have to watch what you wish for.

Our Company has grown to a 70 hour work week for me.

Here is where we are: it is still the Jerzee Devil Grind-In.

Yes there will be non-JD members there - I honestly thought that by doing that you all would recruit them to join the JD - we certainly have urged all that attend to join if the had not already.

I kind of thought that someone would have called me instead of me getting a call form someone else to come here and look at what was going on.

Grind-Ins are an interesting event. It is more social than mechanical and all three of them have grown to 50 to 60 people attending. I hope that all of you realize that is - from a financial point of view - an event that costs me money not makes me money.

The three Grind-Ins will continue. I am not restricting people who come to be a member of any one organization. Our June grind-In is supposed to be a BRKCA event - we do not make people join the BRKCA to attend.

I respect all of your opinions and feelings. If you feel that if you want to have an event elsewhere I certainly will honor that.

I really am at a loss for what else to do or say but I did not even know anyone was upset until today.

Mike

Kelper likes this.
  3. Fenlore

Fenlore I am Spartacus! Brigade Member

Ok.
    I haven't been on in a few days (or a week or so, aside from reporting that my new knife was in ) and I caught up right where Mike replied.

Not really sure what to say about all of this... maybe I hoped the situation would have worked itself out a bit better. I know there's still a bunch of us intending to be there. I know I will.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2016
  4. S.Shepherd

S.Shepherd knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I'm curious if anyone contacted Mike about this before any of it went on line

5. Fenlore

Sadly, no

6. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

why would i ?
    i've heard mike say over the years that the event costs him money.
    should i call him up and tell him to lose more money so i can enjoy it more?
    more people have been going in the last couple years which seems awesome for BRK.
    i see a bunch of buzz about their knives on facebook and the brand seems to be doing even better than before.
    should i be calling mike up to tell him how to run his show?
    should i tell him to have less people there?
    or should there be more people there to go forth and spread the word in the knife world? (which seems to be working quite well)

i liken this to a little cafe called ardellas in my town.
    they opened up and made everything from scratch.
    incredible food.... word got around and now that place is fucking packed.
    i'm happy for them.
    those two lesbians from st. paul are the salt of the earth.
    ..... but i don't eat there anymore.
    i don't wait 45 minutes to get a table in a place thats packed with people standing over me waiting for my table.
    i eat down the street at the greasy spoon because it is much more relaxing for me.
    it's none of my business how people run their business.
    i am thankful to mike for the grind-ins i got in on.
    i am stoked for him that they are packed.
    but i'm a grownup who realizes shit changes and people start to show up when something is awesome......but i'll be at the greasy spoon down the street.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
    GEEZER likes this.
  7. S.Shepherd

Nope, just to discuss how you feel things have changed and that it might not be what you think the forum needs anymore or that you wanted.
    I'm assuming you're friends, and yes it is his show but he was hosting it and maybe a bit of courtesy to discuss the details one on one.
    I know I'd feel odd thinking I was having a party, one that had become an an annual thing, just to find out it's not happening after reading about it on a forum.
    That's just me though.

8. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Mike you were so busy that you literally spent approximately 15 minutes with us. And we get it, business. The makers and you were pow-wow'ing in your office and did not come out. If the general consensus was everyone was going, I'd go and make the 10th my last. Everyone was overwhelmed. Jacquie was yelling at Tony8179 and it was just too packed. It is your show and we/I 100% appreciate all you have done. You have clearly moved on as you were NOT on JD since November. That there is fact and no hard feelings about it. I still think of you as my good friend, regardless I am JD to the core. Hell, I am not even sure if you will read this.

I tried on facebook and was basically steamrolled on my opinion. So, yeah. 100% yes.

Bullshit. It was/is in Sandwich's thread there. The conversation kept getting steered to how more epic it will be. (Which in my mind means bigger, and less opportunities for JD guys)

The place to discuss The JD Grind In should be on JD. Duh! :bwah: Think about what you are saying man!!!!!!:jdwink2::devilcorn:

spydusse, Berkley and crogers like this.
  9. S.Shepherd

:thumbsup:

10. mag1

mag1 No More Mr. Nice Guy Brigade Member

The knife making part did highly suck last year. Just a cluster fuck, and everyone I talked with was bitching. Me and Tony actually couldnt wait for the day to be over just so we could relax and get our minds at ease!
    Everything else with the trip was over the top, but usually when you hang with me, it always is:manganr:. Most I have laughed and seen in a long time.
    I'm looking forward to a more exclusive (JD) knife making event in the future, wherever it may be, I am in!

11. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

The grind in's have always been a blast , but for the last couple years , I just went to hang out and see old friends , not even bothering to make sparks.
    It is a dynamic situation and has been pretty cool for , I believe , everybody involved.
    But the nature of the event has certainly changed , and I cannot even say for the worse.
    It did lose some of the JD mojo........but meeting some of the people who weren't " our " people was still a good time.
    I am not sure what the answer is here.
    Maybe go back to making the NYCKA shows , since so many of our crew are regional.
    If I do go to the Grind in , it would be to spectate anyway.
    I will always consider the people who make it possible as my friends , and can't see not having a good time in their presence.
    But I understand the feelings that have been expressed.
    Hell , I went to an Ice In years ago and still managed to have a blast.
    So by what ever name , you will certainly enjoy yourselves.
    As for a JD get together , the possibilities are fairly unlimited.
    Do knives have to be made ?
    I don't think so.
    Someone pick a location , we'll bring the good time.

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  12. elusiveweasle

elusiveweasle Brigade Member Brigade Member

Well, as my high school science teacher said "Anything that fails to evolve eventually becomes extinct."

I'd hate a world with no Bark River Knives so I am glad it continued to evolve.

I remember the JD pre bali-bro invasion. Things are different now, but again I'm glad it evolved.

Reading this thread I see all you Devils are also adapting to the changes and thus evolving.

I feel all "circle of life" right now. Think I'll go watch The Lion King.

13. Fenlore

That is a good movie

14. RoyalM

RoyalM Commando Devil Super Moderator Brigade Member

So it feels like we are good here? Nobody is to blame for what the Grind In has become but it has evolved and for many Devils what it is now is not what they want.

I think it's great Mike will still be holding a Grind In and that there will be some Devils in attendance. Can it still be called a JD Grind In when Devils make up a very small minority of the people there? Someone else can answer that.

Seems there is still passion for JD Grind In. Looks to be an event, somewhere that is just for Devils and allows for undisturbed fun possibly involving a knife or two being made.

Now that Blade is over lets try and focus on making something happen. I'd hate to see this year pass us by with no Grind In just because we didn't give it a try.

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  15. TopHat

TopHat Drivin' that train..... Brigade Member

Me too....but I rubbed one out instead......

crogers likes this.
  16. Ranger

Ranger Little member

New guy here. Planning to attend the Grind-In in September. I am new to JD, but not to Bark River. This would be my fourth Grind-In.

Agree with the other comments, I'd much prefer a smaller event and would happily pay more for that experience. The first two were great, maybe 35 builders. The last two have had over 50 builders, and it's just not the same experience.

Anyway, FWIW I'll be there and hope to meet some of you guys in person.

:thumbs:

17. Fenlore

You will.

I'll be one of the loud ones causing a medium amount of trouble. Plus I'm big, bald, and wear glasses.

18. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Absolutely 100% agree with you! Watch this thread for further (possible) developments.

Define "big", in your opinion. LOL! :ropeman::devilcorn::bwah:

19. Fenlore

Ok Ronnie, fair enough.
    There will be plenty of big guys there.

When in doubt I'll be the polite (and probably only) Canadian there. But I'll definitely be hungover.

20. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

I though "polite" was the only flavour that Canadians came in. :ropeman:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2016