1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Good Morning!

PS-RagE Jun 24, 2016

1. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

:woot:

Beautiful morning today! Sunny and 14C (that is 57F for the metrically-challenged).

Out to the garage and fire up the big 1200cc V-twin. I roll the bike out of the garage, strap on my helmet and start up the tunes: "Problem Child" by AC/DC comes on. Well, that is appropriate! :jdwink2:

I ride slowly to the edge of my property so I can see up and down the highway. There is no one coming so I drop down into the ditch and pop up onto the road. Shifting into second I roll on the power, lofting the front wheel and riding a long wheelie to the red line.

Once out of suburbia, I can really pour it on and shoot up over 180kph until I reach my first "short cut" that sees me climbing the soft embankment and into an abandoned mine property.

A quick gravel blast, some loose rock and hard mud and I'm back crossing the highway towards a second abandoned mine site. Again, off the pavement and a short, steep hillclimb leads me to where the headframe once stood. I quickly navigate the property - careful to avoid running over any timber - and onto a dirt road for the second leg of my morning commute.

After a kilometer or so, I turn off towards a fenced-in waste pile. I follow along the fenceline until I reach a loose minerock road. This surface is really hard on the tires but it is fun to drift.

I turn off the minerock onto another muddy, puddled road. I know from experience how greasy this road is so I am careful how hard I spin the rear wheel here.

The muddy road leads to a small community and my next dirt road "short cut" with lots of deep puddles I can just splash through since they have firm bottoms.

This road ends with a gate so I turn off into the sand and a new improvised road between the trees.

I have just looped the city from the east to the south road and now back on the pavement I again loft the front tire for a long second gear wheelie and then into a high speed burst towards town.

Back into the suburbs, I reduce to the speedlimit(ish) and make my way until I reach the snowmobile trail and the deep sand path into the city's snowdump. This place is nasty, deep mud in early spring but has mostly dried now.

Through the snowdump, I drop back into another ditch and pop up onto the gravel golf course road with a long, debris-spraying power slide. Another short bit of pavement leads me to a sand and rock-embedded doubletrack along a powerline.

Finally, I reach pavement again and make my way the last 3 blocks to arrive at work with a head full of sweat and a huge, shit-eating grin. Total time was about 30 minutes (the highway would have taken 6).

So, how did your commute go? :bwah:

MTXCraze and Kelper like this.
  2. PS-RagE

Thread needs pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  3. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Amazing ride!

4. PS-RagE

This is every day JJ. I was just pumped this morning - too much fun! Fantastic way to start a work day!

[​IMG]

5. jjhamilton

Ok now your bragging!!:jdwink2::thumbsup:

6. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

You DO realize that you need to get a GoPro and video it?

7. MTXCraze

MTXCraze I flip therefore I am JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Can't say I'm not a little jelious.

I sat in traffic for about an hour on a one lane road all the way to work.

Then I sat in traffic on a route 9 in jersey for about 40 minutes all the way to my fist job.

On the way home I'll probably do 30 mph in a 50mph zone down that same one lane road to get home. Probably get thrown the finger a few times, honked at and have some guy in an Audi pass 5 cars and a big rig.

Im looking forward to pizza night tho. :unintroduced:

8. PS-RagE

Pretty sure I've posted this before. This is it in reverse (i.e. work to home). This was shot a few years ago on my last bike (a mere 950cc)

[video=youtube_share;MrgfFt-QwcU]https://youtu.be/MrgfFt-QwcU[/video]

9. PS-RagE

Ugh, I couldn't deal with that shit. I am leaving work right now to head to my camp. It is a 20 minute car ride by highway or 60 minute high-speed blast on the bike through the woods - guess which option I'm choosing :manganr:

10. MTXCraze

MTXCraze I flip therefore I am JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

While I'm living vicariously through your post, I'll be sitting here for now :cry:

[​IMG]

11. PS-RagE

As I'd mentioned, part of my morning commute is a short hillclimb onto an abandoned mine property. As I started up the hill this morning, my front tire got deflected and I lost my line. I was already committed so I went with it but it didn't work out and I dumped it on the hill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hurt my back last week so gotta be careful not to strain it again. It was a real Olympic Lift to get it up again. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ded i likes this.
  12. jjhamilton

Had to lift it on an incline too, rough! Glad your ok though. One of the most embarrassing dumps I ever did, no joke I actually high sided in my driveway, high sided.....who high sides in a driveway!!?! It knocked the wind out too!

13. PS-RagE

Yeah and this thing is no featherweight either. The power disguises the weight when you're riding, but when it is flat on the ground its a real pig to lift. Long way to go to get it up too! With my back as it is right now, I had to drag it across the rocks until I was in a position that I could push it upright.

This was just another low-speed dump - it happens (this is a lot of motorcycle to ride offroad). I always wear full gear so at least I don't get scratched or dented.

I high-sided my last bike drifting a slow corner. It slammed me into the ground hard and fucked up my right shoulder pretty bad. 18 months of physiotherapy and I have to wear a stabilizer now when I ride.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2016
    GEEZER likes this.
  14. jjhamilton

Oouch, yeah that was my one and only (so far) high side, and I pray not to do it again. My speed maybe 35-40, sliding around fish tailing....in other words I did it to myself.

Gear, the best investment a rider can make!

15. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

This is an EXCELLENT thread! Speed is euphoric.....

:shift:

16. PS-RagE

I have a route I take to my camp that completely avoids all pavement. Earlier in the year, someone put up a "Road Closed" sign just before a washout. I never paid it any mind until last weekend when I discovered a huge trench dug across the road at that point. I am confident I could cross it with my 350 but I'm not even going to try with the 1190.

[​IMG]

So, this weekend I went out in search of an alternate route.

[​IMG]

I failed in my quest but did discover many, many roads that do not lead there.

Considering how many times I had to turn around, I am pleased to say I did not drop the bike a single time! (turning around is my nemesis)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

crogers likes this.