1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Glock 30 vs. 30s - your thoughts?

Sheldon_Wickersham May 27, 2015

1. Sheldon_Wickersham

Sheldon_Wickersham Blue Star Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

I've been shooting a Glock 19 9mm since 1988 and am onto my second now, an RTF2, mostly used for matches now that I have a G26 9mm. I also have a stock G30 .45acp that I traded into for only a few hunnerd bucks. This weekend I had a chance to shoot the much lighter G30s, also in .45, and I liked it; it was, however, a bit stiff, recoil wise.

The difference between the 30 and 30s being a SF frame (I have small hands, so the 30SF frame fits well), and a thinner/lighter slide that weighs ~4oz less than the thicker G30. A stocking Glock dealer friend can get me into a new Gen 3 Glock 30s for ~$490.

I can use my G19 holsters, keep the extra G30 mags and mag holders, and sell the nearly new G30 with Raven Concealment holster for close to the buy-in cost of the G30s - could be a win.

Your thoughts before I jump? Specifically, IYO, should I keep the G30 too? I don't see myself carrying it, or shooting it much - but gawd, it's a sweet little shooter with just about zero felt recoil...

View attachment 128870

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  2. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

Grock...

Sheldon - I have a Glock 29 and a Glock 21SF. I had a G30SF but for me I really didn't pay any attention to the differences - probably because the G29 is in 10mm and the 30 was .45 ACP.

Keep what works best for you; and go from there.

3. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Personally I'd keep the 30, just because you already like it and it doesn't eat anything even if you don't shoot it...you got it if you ever want to..

With the switch, most definitely. The slim models are awesome and I doubt you'd regret the purchase. I'm super excited about the newest G41 long slide, I want to pick one of those up something fierce!

Also on a side note, the G19 is what I carry 99% of the time...it's by far one of the best Glock made and I own a lot of glocks. I also have a 26 and honestly don't like it that much, the grip is too short for me to pull from an IWB easily, and if you add the grip extensions might aswell carry the 19

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  4. HappyG

HappyG Average member

Not trying to get into caliber wars, but going from G19 to G30s, does not make allot of sense as far as concealed carry goes. If you want an awesome range gun though G30s are fun, but then again ammo cost a bit more than 9mm. You probally get more and longer range time with G19. I do carry both, but obviously capacity over caliber, which is better statistically. Going from G30 to G30s, they are too similar for me to choose one or the other, unless you collect glocks. Good luck with your choice!

5. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

I'd sell them, buy the S&W M&P 45 and put an Apex trigger in it, it would make you the happiest!

tmbrcrafter likes this.
  6. L R Harner

L R Harner They call me "Butch" Knife Maker or Craftsman

since my G36 and the wifes G19 share holsters i can grab and go
    she picked up a G42 and im looking at a G43 for slim carry options

she is carring with clipdraw and MIC holster and it seems to be a good combo for her i might do the same for summer carry

the 30/30s just always seemed to have a big grip to wrap my hands around. other side of that is i hate ellig guns les i have to. jsut thinkign abut how soft that stock G30 shoots and how many cal swap options that can be done with it

7. Ken Brock

Ken Brock Who's Awesome? Super Moderator

I've been running a 30sf for the past six years

A friend bought the 30s. Same frame as mine but thinner in the slide obviously. The 30s definitely has a bit more snap to it than the 30sf

30s is nice and I might have went with that if I didn't have a 30sf but I wouldn't trade my 30sf for a 30s

8. taoist

taoist taoist JDBA Official Member

YES! The S&W M&P 45 is awesome. Absolutely love it.

9. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

There is also the gen 4's. The gen 4 frame without any back straps is the same size as the sf frame I believe.

But honestly I think the main factor for me is if you want to use after market barrels. There are more barrels (caliber conversions ect) for the 30 than the 30s. If that matters to you at all then I think the 30 is a better choice. But to me caliber conversions is just an excuse not to buy another gun.

I have borrowed a M&P 45c and it conceals about the same for me as a glock 9mm of equal length.

10. voimakas

voimakas JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I'm of the mindset that you never sell firearms if you can help it. I've very rarely felt good about getting rid of a firearm.

11. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

Get a Springfield XDS in .45... it makes a G19 feel like your packing a Gideon's Bible in your waist band. Forget them 'Blocks ' ,The XDS is sweeeet!:manganr:

12. Sheldon_Wickersham

Yep, got the XDs in porty-pibe, the M&P Shield in 9mm too. Still on the fence on the 30S though...

View attachment 130794 Pocket Pistolas.jpg

13. SlightChance

I have been feeling a 45 caliber itch lately. Do you ever carry that xds with the extended magazine in it? I have been thinking about the 4in version and carrying it with the longer magazine to simulate a lighter (albeit striker fired) 1911.

I haven't handled a glock 30s but is there really a significant improvement from the 30? I know on the 9mm glocks I have carried, the fame is the thickest part. I don't know if a slightly thinner slide will really make that much extra room on your belt line.

And if you mostly want a smaller frame there is always the gen 4 glocks. Sans back-strap is the same as the SF. I actually prefer the gen 4, but then again I use the largest back strap available.

I would never talk anyone out of buying a new gun, but if I had a xds 45 I wouldn't be interested in the 30s. The xds will always be thinner.

I also agree with voimakas. Guns tend to hold their value very well, and depending on what the future brings could increase in value exponentially.

14. Sheldon_Wickersham

Nope, I carry the XDs with the standard mag (6 rnds total), and carry two 7 rnd magazines on the offside or a spare 5 rnd mag in a back pocket. It's not an easy gun to like; it doesn't fit me, I don't like it much at all...but, I'm only into it for $180, and it fills a niche.

XDs IWB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
  15. SlightChance

I hear you. And for that price I would probably be inclined to pick up a gun that didnt necessarily fit me

16. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Bali Demon JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I have a Glock 30S and a Glock 30. I Have not shot them head to head, yet.

I can't see a definite advantage of the G30S over the 30, for ergonomics.

Maybe this weekend, I'll pit them against each other by trying to see how I shoot one over the other.

I am very, very tempted to get a Glock 41 MOS because I'd like to put an optic on it. I already have a 34 MOS, and I'm planning to compete in GSSF/3 Gun next year.

17. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Bali Demon JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I shot the 30 vs the 30s, head to head. I have much better control and handling of the thicker Glock 30. Less perceived recoil and a better recovery. I don't think one is more accurate than the other.

Just for the record.