1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Glenn's Little Shop Of Horrors

Glenn Apr 4, 2014

1. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Glenn: Many years ago when I was an active knifemaker I attended the Chesapeake knife show yearly, my table was next to Rob Hudson's and he suggested using car wax on the carbon steel knives, said he had done it for years. Not a permanent fix but it does help.

2. zorro

zorro The pointy end goes into the other man Brigade Member

:youdaman: :thumbwink: :devilwag:

3. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Thanks, looking for something more permanent.

Experimenting with Krylon clear acrylic lacquer, and also polyurethane coating . Concerns are durability and also future discoloration .

It's called doing the right thing . :devilwag:

4. Bobasan

Bobasan Brigade Member Brigade Member

Both will discolor or can get cloudy if they see too much UV. Weren't you looking into the chamois cloths with some oil to help folks maintain their little beauties?

Bob

5. Glenn

Bob, yes I was and did. The ones sourced all had some sort of chemical smell. Even those claiming to be "green" . The ones that are "sliver polish" cloths seemed to be the best overall.

But there was a drawback. I spent a HR rubbing a piece and almost took all of the etch out. :ross:

I could see others , well overdoing it and bring the piece back to mirror. :unintroduced:

In the end I've given instruction for folks just to use a bit of baby oil on a soft cloth, this brightens up the pieces and will add a bit of protection at the same time.

I'm still on the hunt for a adequate cloth to provide to folks that end up with a copper piece if they care to keep it fresh without me sealing it. The other option would be just for a healthy patina to form over time.

My primarily concern now is the new mosaic stock as well as other damascus. I need to seal in the colors in the mosaic

Ohh, I have one more product in the shop toying with and seems to be the best so far for standard damascus. It's a Rustolium clear coating that is non-yellowing and a UV protected . The UV protected componant will change the colors slightly on the mosaic stock once tempered to color.

In the end, they are pieces of steel with carbon within and they will change over time.

Will do my best to finding a happy medium. And stand behind the work and adress as needed.

Speaking of that steel with carbon within, I shaped then brought the two remaining guitar picks to mirror.

Not to decide to color temper, or traditional silver contrast etching. :devilcorn:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015
  6. 42flipper

42flipper JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Why not stainless Damascus??

I assume cost is the issue??

7. Glenn

Two factors. Stainless damascus , meaning less carbon will not provide a vivid silver/dark grey etch.

And cost factor per piece. I want to provide an affordable product for folks.

Not to say some may be able to "pay up" for the same style piece in more expensive metal stock.

Some can afford Moki TI, others just can't touch the stuff.

Not saying these metals won't enter and extit my shop. They will.

Just have to use up a bit of the 11 LBS of Damascus I have around . :devilzeek :ropeman: :unintroduced: :bwah:

8. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

9. Glenn

Thanks for the linky. Ren-Wax to the rescue. :ross:

I've been meaning to get some for my sharps. Perhaps several waxing could preserve the pieces. Only problem, in the field for how long. :devilcorn:

10. Glenn

One to each

The 2nd Pick is getting a standard etch in my brew. Silver/gray .

Got some very neat colors on this piece. :devilwag:

[​IMG]

11. Glenn

AND I wasn't kidding about 11lbs of damascus to use up. Postal scale goes to 11lbs. :ropeman:

Even the slimmest piece not on scale when placed on will put it to full tilt. :bwah:

[​IMG]

:devilwag:

12. supersuby

supersuby OG TRIPLE OG

:devilfinger:

13. kenshiro

kenshiro JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Daaaaaam!!! Ascus.

There's a little trick I found on my scale...if you put like 10lbs, then press tare/zero, remove stuff it will be -10lbs, then I can weigh up to 10lbs again which is really 20lbs.

Just have to do a little math, and it probably stresses the scale, but if it works...can still pimp it out and place everything at once.

14. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

You can't tare 90% of a max weight rating and expect to weigh more than the 5kg limit with any accuracy.

You're just buggering the scale.

15. Glenn

Thanks for stopping in . :ropeman: :bwah:

Two picks done, but not sure I'm leaving as is or going to shoot for color or perhaps a deeper etch on the gray /silver. Then to protect them.

[​IMG]

:devilwag:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
  16. Glenn

Always been fond of "miniatures" . :ropeman:

[​IMG]

I've got a few patterns on paper, not sure what one I will do.

:devilcorn:

jamex likes this.
  17. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

You know... I was going to suggest miniature knives to you but than I thought... "Nah! Glenn will grind off his fingerprints & possibly burn other parts of his hands doing miniatures." If you do miniatures buddy, GOOD LUCK!:thumbsup:

Glenn likes this.
  18. Glenn

What fingerprints ? :bobert:

Well I affixed this template to some thinner raindrop Dammy stock (3mm) . This should lend itself better to a tiny knife.

Will drill the handle holes for pins and then cut out the profile later today. :devilwag:

[​IMG]

19. Chris Daigle

Chris Daigle Half fast

Simply. Awesome. :thumbsup:

Glenn likes this.
  20. Glenn

Hey Dangle, Still working behind the curtains on grinds.

Hope I fair well on this project.

After all I haven't made a sharp from scratch yet I felt comfortable posting up. :ropeman:

This will be a leap at best. :devilcorn:

AND 1/4in holes ported for some mosaic pins down the road. :madaddy:

[​IMG]

Thanks for tuning in. :manganr: