1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Get it Sharp and Do it Fast.

Jerry Hossom Feb 10, 2007

1. BigJim

BigJim Justabuyer Fucktard

WIRE EDGE BURR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Cut directly into the stone LIGJHTLY twice the entire length of the edge.

LIGHTLY

Then go back to the the sharpmaker and to ten LIGHT PASSES on each side.

Then throw that handicapped corkie contraption AWAY buy a set of stones and soem cheap blades and learn to sharpen by hand. :bwah:

2. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

:bump: I am getting email questions on this and am NOT the expert!

Q & A time!

3. supert

supert Huge member

I just ordered the belts, so I'm sure some Qs will be coming up soon!

Just got the polishing compound. Holy crap...the block of compound weighs almost as much as my belt sander!

4. supert

supert Huge member

A HUGE thanks to Jerry for starting this thread. I read all 21 pages on knifeforums as well. Very good, cheap, fast method.

I usually suck at sharpening but this is pretty easy to get a nice edge.

I now know what "Hair Popping" means!

Someone ship me some steel to sharpen!:tubtar:

5. falcon125

falcon125 the express train to mayhem Brigade Member

I thought were an expert on everything.
    YES, THANK YOU Jerry.
    This thread has helped me sharpen better and faster.

[​IMG]

But I just use a 15 micron belt and go against the edge (up). I cant seem to get a wire edge going with the edge (down)
    And when I use the leather belt It just dulls it. I bought Inox at the hardware store and it is hard as a rock. Is this normal?

6. buzzard767

buzzard767 Little member

Getting rid of the burr is now easy. Get a rock hard felt pad here.

I used to drag the blade through rubber or wood with varying success. The felt works every time.

7. RoyalM

RoyalM Commando Devil Super Moderator Brigade Member

I got the same grinder as you falcon but mine is made by Rexon.

I'm using a 400grit belt (looking to get some 600grit from Pop's) and it gets a good edge on any of my user knives. Have got 1200 papaer that I some time use to finish the edge to more of a razor edge but for me and the jobs I use my knives for then a razors edge isn't always the best.

8. Peter Lezard

Peter Lezard Hobbit of Fortune

Alright... I've read this thread 5 times, watched the videos, and tried my brains out...

Still can't get this Native to shave hair! :banghead: I know I could just send it to Mike, or buy the belt sander set up Jerry is talking about, but I want to be able to do it with hand tools. I have that leather block hone from Mike, but I don't seem to be hitting the edge... Is it because it is hollow ground/ factory edge? I can get it "toothy" with a diamond hone, but we all know that is not good enough.... right... :schmoove:

9. wmhandy

wmhandy Little member

Mr. Hossom - Thank You - Thank You - Thank You

I followed your suggestions to the letter. I practiced on a Pakistani survival knife I had found in the street that had been pre-sharpened on the asphalt. Two or three grits and two leather belts (1 #525 compound - 1 dry stropped) and seven minutes later on my first try there are huge bald spots on my arm! This is the first time I have ever consistently been able to achieve this level of devilish edge refinement. Thank you for your gracious instructions.

Yours truly, Bill Handy

10. dragonjimm

dragonjimm Average member

thanks,that certainly answers a lot of my questions.
    i use a 1x30 from HF, edge up with 150 or 220 grit belts then finish with the fine side of a norton stone. i keep a dull belt for touch ups and for thin blades i hang a water bottle over the belt with a very little drip going this helps with heat build up but is murder on the cheaper belts. i've also used a coarse or medium grit compound on a buffer wheel to finish sharpening.

11. WallyT

WallyT Little member

Modifications

I have kept up with this post and another one.

http://www.knifeforums.com/uploads/1205593757-Delta_SA180_Final.pdf

Have any of you tried to modify the Delta 31-350 series Sander/Grinder to reduce the speed? I think all of the Delta Sander/Grinders use the same parts in this series. Delta Sander/Grinder 1062, 1063, 31-350, 31-351, 31-352, 31-355.

12. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

:welcome: to The JD, Wally! I bet Jerry Hossom is ecstatic that his threads live on elsewheres in the ethernet :madaddy: :cheers:

13. aus71383

aus71383 Huge member

Just bought my Harbor Freight (Central Machine) 1x30 belt sander today - it was on sale for $34.99. Now I need to order some belts so I can try this thing out. I've always sucked with sharpening stones - I got a Lansky back in the day but I was sharpening a chisel ground Emerson type tanto and it didn't work on that steep of an angle.

Austin

14. aus71383

aus71383 Huge member

Got my belts today - sharpened a couple of my wife's kitchen knives and they are pretty sharp now. Not scary but it was my first time. They cut paper nice and shave easily. She wants the rest to stay dull.

I also tried sharpening my EOD knife - it is used for stabbing dirt and rocks and sometimes chipping cement and plaster. Since it is a saber grind it was kind of tricky - I would have liked a steeper angle and there wasn't much light when I was doing it so I think I'll have better luck next time with that one.

My grinder came with an 80 grit belt and I bought a 120 at Harbor Freight while I was there just because. What I ordered from Lee Valley was 180, 320, 500, 1200 and a leather belt. What I got was 80 micron, 40 micron, 20 micron, 15 micron and 9 micron. I guess its pretty much the same but it would have been nice to know ahead of time. The 80 micron belt felt maybe 10 times finer than the 120 grit. I think something in between would have been a good idea. I started with the 80 grit belt on my EOD knife because there was nothing even close to an edge on it - it would barely cut warm butter.

Anyhow I am very pleased and impressed with how fast and easy it was. I would definitely recommend this to anybody.

Austin

15. TPyke

TPyke DRUNKEN MASTER

Is there anywhere else that sells the white compound?
    The website originally mentioned seems to be down...

16. 1Zach1

1Zach1 1Devil1

17. TPyke

TPyke DRUNKEN MASTER

Thanks!