1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

G17 integral locking device....

Brian Dec 27, 2009

1. Brian

Brian flstf99

My father recently picked up a used gen 3 G17 and instead of having an open hole in the grip, where a Glock plug would go, it looks to have some type of integral locking device. Looks like a key is needed to lock/unlock it.

Anyone know anything about these?

He did not receive any keys with the gun and I'm thinking it would make sense to remove that thing instead of taking a chance of the pistol somehow getting locked and not being able to unlock it.

Suggestion on how to remove?

Thanks.

2. WT351

WT351 Lone Star Moderator Super Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2009
  3. bigbob68

bigbob68 non poseur

First of all, Great pistol, secondly, great move getting rid of that integral lock. I have seen it but have no idea of how they work. Best of luck.

4. Brian

Brian flstf99

Thanks guys. I saw another forum thread that said they are installed at the factory and cannot be removed. Still researching it.

Thanks.

5. bohica1998

bohica1998 Huge member

You might try contacting their customer service and explaining the situation. They may be able to make you some more keys based on the weapon's serial number? If I was adding something like that at the factory, I would have that info just for this kind of situation. They have to have thought about "what if someone loses their keys", etc.

Just a thought.

6. Brian

Brian flstf99

I thought about that. I'm sure people lose their keys and need replacements all the time.

Thanks.

7. langston302

langston302 There's a new sheriff in town

no you cannot remove it......

glock will have to have keys made in Austria and sent here....for a fee.

or you can send it to Glock in GA and have the lower replaced for 150 bucks.

8. RyanA

RyanA El Burro Diabolico

You'd figure if the lock comes pre-installed on every gun they'd throw in the seventy-nine cent keys as well. But instead it's an extra option? Just plain weird.

The added safety competition manufacturers seem to be having is getting out of hand. Reading about all the extra safety of one brand over another on a manufacturer's website you'd (well, not you guys, but I'm sure you know which folks I'm talking about) think a gun would go off just by looking at it funny.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2009
  9. DiverDn

DiverDn Average member

I don't think they are standard on the Glocks, unless they have changed something in the past couple years that I have been out of shooting IDPA.

The Glock locks are pretty rare actually, of all the gun shows that I have been to in Texas and Iowa, I don't think I have seen more than one or two.

Glock has good customer service, I would just give them a call and work it out with them.

Or, if the gun is unlocked, I wouldn't worry about it and shoot it, if it is a range gun. I doubt there is a chance it will lock on it's own.

If it was my self defense carry gun, I would sell it and buy one without the lock.

10. Doc Pringles

Doc Pringles The Devilz Doctor Brigade Member

It's still an option. True, it is very rare. If I had the gun new or used, I would toss the key and never think about it again. No key, no problem.

Sheldon_Wickersham likes this.
  11. Sheldon_Wickersham

Sheldon_Wickersham Blue Star Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

Oh, that's just brilliant Doc--you're saying that you knowingly render an otherwise useless paperweight into a perfectly useful operational firearm by tossing the 'key'? Sheesh, man, WTF were you thinking?

(Green sent...lol) :ross:

12. Brian

Brian flstf99

I think I was more worried about it than my father. I just didn't like the idea of a lock and no keys. I doubt that it would lock up on it's own, but hell, weirder things have happened.

I have also read, in other places, that the lock is standard in other areas of the world and is otherwise offered as an option. This is a used firearm, so it was probably ordered with the option by the original owner. My father just didn't get the keys when he bought it used off of GunBroker.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2009
  13. RyanA

RyanA El Burro Diabolico

Ah, ok, for a moment there I thought they all came from the factory with the lock installed. Phew.