1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Fun with renders and 3D printers

twirl Aug 24, 2014

1. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

I always had renders but never got too deep into 3D printing until Mr. UFokillerz decided to get one. Turns out to be quite a bit of fun!

Even past the novelty of it, I should be able to use these to save some time with prototyping. Plenty of bugs to still iron out and lots to tweak. The trainer model isn't even the right version!

Now for some fun pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Coconutfilipino

Coconutfilipino JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Very cool!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2014
  3. deadpool

deadpool merc with the mouth

What is the cost to make a "blade" with a 3D printer? Neat idea!

I don't want a 3D printed blade... I wanted to see what level of cost reduction this could have... Needed to be said before I got spammed.

4. hannam72

hannam72 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

How much is a plastic tempest? Would a plastic blade hold up at all to flipping?

Very cool by the way!

5. twirl

Provided you have all the machinery and software, running one part doesn't take up much materials from the spool. But it sure as heck can take a lot of time if you set the resolution higher.

Definitely not for flipping, mostly to see, feel and analyze the parts in hand. There would be no weight to a plastic knife.

6. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

Ge just partnered with a company in Italy to build jet rotor blades with a new printing process called electron beam melting which uses an electron gun instead of laser sintering. Basically you fill a cube with a powder and electrons are aimed at the xyz points to turn the powder into alloy.

Long way off or just around the corner?

Sorry to hijack:
    BTW we have an afinia 3d printer just sitting at work (5" print envelope) so if anyone else wants to see their ideas take shape and has some 3d files built?

7. Area965

Area965 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

According to Koenigsegg, the One:1’s power and beauty are complemented with a number of 3D printed components, including variable turbo housings that improve the car’s response time and its low end torque. Beyond its engine, the supercar also features a 3D printed titanium exhaust tip that can claim to be the world’s largest 3D printed titanium auto part. As a testament to their painstaking refusal to compromise on performance, Koenigsegg has admitted that it’s large exhaust tip takes 3 days to produce and saves only a 400grams (.88lbs) of weight. Although completely impractical for the mass production market, the component fits the low-production, high performance model that Koenigsegg enjoys.

8. Ryanol

I don't have the link handy but the new EBM process GE is utilizing is 10x faster than laser sintering (current tech). Allowing them to build rotor (technically turbine prolly)blades at a speed and cost comparable to or better than current casting processes.

***might be fluff this is all based on a GE press release I believe.

9. thevinstigator

thevinstigator JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Even the 3D models of your knifes look pretty good, even in the rough.

10. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

what type of tolerance can it hold at full resolution.

11. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

my god the future is here :devilzeek

12. Frickbot

Frickbot Does not compute

this maybe my chance to own a HOM :bwah:

13. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Replicator, anyone? :startrek:

14. VANELLI

VANELLI JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Really cool, looks like that could be a real time saver with a new model or changes to existing product.

15. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

"Computer, astronaut ice cream"

good lord

Where the hell has Ufo been?

16. Moses057

Moses057 JDBA4L #057 JDBA Official Member

Drill holes in the end then smash in some fishing weights. Then it might be flippable

17. Ryanol

channels for wiring and LED and batterys for weight?

something on par with a baliyo.

18. ufokillerz

ufokillerz JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

same excuse as last time, 2 young kids, and lack of help! i will show my face eventually soon. No worries though, i am still collecting balis in the background.

19. twirl

Fisher Price tolerances. Not even relevant until you get to the expensive rapid prototyping machines.

To the others, yeah it's not useful for building actual product yet, just a prelude to prototyping parts. Sometimes you just gotta see and feel it in hand, and this comes in handy to skip the machine shop queue until it's game time.