1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Fucking Rats

RNST Apr 9, 2016

1. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

I like the T-Rex traps. Easy to set, and I've never had one try and eat my fingers! :devilzeek You just squeeze the trap, and it locks open. You bait them while they're closed. Several exterminators in my area use these.

Plus, if you've ever had problems with rats running away with your trap, these can be secured with wire ties. Put one on a pipe or beam that the rats are using as runways. Better yet, put two facing in opposite directions.

Amazon carries them. Check out http://www.amazon.com/Trapper-T-Rex...qid=1460361002&sr=8-1&keywords=t+rex+rat+trap

Note: I am not affiliated with Amazon. That just happens to be where I buy mine.

2. GODDESS OF VENGEANCE

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE Crazy Bitch Lady Devil Super Moderator

:bwah:

3. Komitadjie

Komitadjie Jay to the Dee, Y'All!

I second the ".22 and a cold beer" plan. Possibly amended to a good airgun, depending on condition and backstop. Some cracked corn in a little pile, about thirty feet of range, and a good flashlight makes for amusing evening fun.

KAZ2 likes this.
  4. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

There's some vids on youtube of rat hunting with night vision scopes using air rifles.... looks very effective. Also if you start seeing blacksnakes around, let them be to do their job.

5. Komitadjie

Indeed! I'd really like to play with one of those PCP rifles you see in those videos, but the price tag for entry into that club is a bit steep. You can buy a heck of a lot of good-quality .22 ammo for the price of one of those air rifles, cripes! Even the "inexpensive" PCP guns cost more than a good quality .22. Then you need the air tank, and somewhere to get it filled... or another couple grand for the compressor for that!

Mostly, I've just stuck with my .22, CCI Standard Velocity, and my TacInno can. Works niiiiiiiice! ... And license fees and all, I think it's STILL cheaper than a PCP setup. :manganr:

6. falcon125

falcon125 the express train to mayhem Brigade Member

.22 and a clod beer

Way back around 1970 or so my parents bought a house that was built in the late 1700's. We discovered that squirrels were living in the ceiling above the dining room. We could hear the fuckers scurry around up there. My old man got into the gin one night and grabbed the .22, he spent the next 2 hours pointing it at the ceiling and taking pot shots at noises. 1/2 a box of .22 later we had 2 bleeding holes in the ceiling. And no more squirrels.
    It was kind of like (The Shining) you just did not know where the fun would end.:devilzeek

7. zidfeldts

zidfeldts Brigade Member Brigade Member

I am 56 years old and have never seen a rat.

8. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

That thread is in the Mod forum :bwah: :poke: :2ful: :bwah:

9. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

I got a Bengi Marauder a couple years back to rid all the starlings from my bird feeders. Yes it was expensive at $500... and I use a hand pump that was almost another $200. Scope about $90.

Its balls accurate... 1 hole groups at 40 yds. And a couple hundred starlings later my neighbor never had to call the cops cause he never heard a shot.:madaddy:

10. Komitadjie

I've been looking casually at the Marauder, and the Talon. They both seem to be pretty good, bonus on the Marauder for being a convenient repeater, bonus on the Talon for being mechanically simpler and having a removable tank. They look like a heck of a lot of fun, and I could probably snag a scuba tank pretty inexpensively, I have a dive shop about ten minutes away from my house...

11. KAZ2

KAZ2 Huge member

So, we live in an old cabin here at the lake and have traps deployed to catch mice. You know the kind, glue paper, spring traps, walk in plastic ones that lure them inside and contain them. They have worked well. Then one night we just get to bed and hear what must be lots of them in the bathroom wall that is near our bedroom so I bait one of the plastic jobs and one of the spring traps, deploy a glue pad, and stick them in the water heater closet that backs up to the bathtub and go back to sleep. NOT! Much sound from the closet and I jerk the door open to see a huge MF King Rat that has eaten the small mouse trap bait and is dragging the plastic trap up between the bathtub and the wall. I get a boat hook and reach 3' up beside the tub and drag the trap out. He is of course as big as the trap and has been gnawing through the plastic trying to get to the bait. Long story short we had, the next day, to buy one of the large spring traps, the one that you have to be cautious with as it goes off like a bear trap. We drilled a hole in it and tied it off with wire so that it doesn't get drug off and bait with a strip of bacon tied on with thread and go back to bed hoping to get him overnight. Less than 10 minutes BANG! It nailed his ass and he was bigger in body than my fist and turned out to be a lone operator as we have left the trap baited. :thumbsup:

Komitadjie likes this.
  12. sickboy

sickboy Marsupial Brigade Member

Chocolate covered peanuts work pretty good as well in a trap.....

sickboy

13. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Best bait for rats and squirrels is peanut butter ( or my feeder)
    Shooting rats is fun as hell :devilwag: years ago my uncle and I used to grab some beers and headed down to a garbage dump by the Everglades at night, we would sit on the hood of the car with a spotting scope and shoot rats for hours, mostly with a .357 mag or a .45 ahhhhhh! The good old days.
    I don't have rats but the freakin squirrels are a pain, unfortunately I can only use an air rifle. It's a Sig Arms .177 break barrel. I must have killed about 10 since last fall and trapped just as many.

Little bastard raiding the feeder
    [​IMG]

Little bastard after I caught him raiding the feeder
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2016
  14. coinbuysell

coinbuysell Brigade Member Brigade Member

Been doing this for two weeks now, got squirrels in my attic :devilroll: I have an old Sheridan Blue Streak and shot 2 or 3 before I spent $2k on some roof work and patching their holes and what do I have the very next morning...another frigging squirrel hole with a little head sticking out watching people walk by on the sidewalk.

I have shot 4 or 5 more, including 3 or 4 that died in my attic (I cannot get to them due to high ceilings and they are in a corner above a large window), and man do they stink. I tried everything to get to them but I just can't get to the hole. My roof line is about 40' up and I do not have a ladder that can get near that so I have to get the contractor back out to patch that hole again, this time with wire mesh backing the wood, and to find their other hole.

I have to be stealthy because I live in the suburbs and about half of my neighbors would freak if they saw me running in the yard with my pellet gun but a couple of the others have joined in :)

The "pest control" guy wanted over $500 to trap them and take them away :bwah: Yeah right, not when I have a pellet gun and a little time in the evenings now with the time change. I also read they have to be taken over 10 miles away or they will come back to their "home".

Little rats with furry tails are PAINS IN THE ASS

15. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Coinbuysell:

Yeah I trapped some, took them about 2 miles down the road and at least I know one came back (she had a half tail so it was easy to identify). I read 5 miles minimum, easier to shoot them:jdwink2:). My neighbor had about 6 of them in her attic. I got rid of them for her but she had to do some repairs and cut the tree that was giving them access to the roof. They can cause a fire as well as they will chew thru wiring.