1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Fucking Rats

RNST Apr 9, 2016

1. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

No, not that guy :bwah:

Real life vermine that is the type with long tails and are the scourge in our city.

Two years ago I had my shed attacked by these buggers when they were after my bird food.
    The food was locked up tight in double walled hard plastic containers and they got into it so bad I quit using my bird feeders.

I wiped the shed clean with bleach etc and it's been fine for two years.

So I went to get my golf clubs out and found the enemy has returned.

They ate: blue shop towels, car cleaning products, Sorel Winter Boots, any paper they could find and then pissed and shit everywhere. They got back into the shed by eating through the floor boards. :devilfinger:

The thing that tipped me off that they were back was a few owls have been hooting in a tree in the back yard. So I guess by definition I'm back into feeding birds because these raptors love Rats!

2. falcon125

falcon125 the express train to mayhem Brigade Member

Rats like rat poison. Sometimes critters gotta die.:devilwag:
    Rat traps are more fun but poison is for sure your best bet.
    Keep it away from pets. Set it for a limited time and clean it up after the time period. Very effective but needs to be a well planned and supervised project.

Or just start giving the Rats names.:bwah:

3. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

Tom Cat poison works well. It takes a few days for them to die, but it should wipe out the problem within a month. I think they bleed to death or die of dehydration. They sell these feeders that keep pets out and the bait inside. The damn things will drag the bait all over place if it isn't secured.

We try to keep at least one cat in the barn, and love it when we see a black snake. I would love it for a couple of owls to take up around here too.

Hadn't seen any snakes lately, and I think the barn cat was either eaten by coyotes or adopted (hopefully adopted,) so I am using Tom Cat blocks. I get a small bucket from Tractor Supply.

My pup ate a dead mouse that most likely died from the poison, and the vet said it wouldn't be a problem due to how the poison worked. He is about 30lbs, so I don't know how it would effect a bird.

I have also used drowning buckets, but they don't seem to work as well as the feeders placed along the wall.

4. Worker

Worker Slacker Brigade Member

I fucking hate rats. I was staying at a home I rented on the Mendocino coast a few weeks ago and a rat climbed into my engine bay and ate my wiring harness. My 2013 Toyota 4Runner trail was done. I paid 400 to have it towed 100 miles to Ukiah and it still is having the wiring harness replaced. Good news is insurance is paying for towing and the 6k to have the wiring harness replaced.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2016
  5. falcon125

falcon125 the express train to mayhem Brigade Member

6K to replace a wiring harness?:devilzeek Holy Fuckamoly.
    That is a good reason to Nuke those Rats.

6. Worker

The original estimate before I got Allstate involved was $8600....

7. taoist

taoist taoist JDBA Official Member

Had a similar incident with a Gold Wing in my barn. Tried to start in the spring and found the entire wire harness was chewed through. Insurance company laughed at my claim.

8. Worker

I was surprised they covered it.

9. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

We have had rats get into two vehicles. Gets cold in the winter and they hop in and lay on the engine block once we have gone inside. The fuckers ate through the engine wall and into the AC area.

Turn on the engine and the AC fan sliced up the rat.

Phuck what a smell - gagg

10. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

is there anywhere in mendocino county that is 100 miles from ukiah?

11. longbow

longbow scratch n sniffer

When we lived in the city years ago we had them when they put a new sewer line in along a heavily traveled street just east of us. My first pit bull, Mr. Wilson may he rest in peace, used to love catching and killing them. Didn't even make him do it either. This dude that lived next door to me, we used to sit in his drive way and Willy would go in his hedge row that was used to separate his yard and Doc Tuttles drive way and Willy would get a few. He wouldn't try and eat them but he would kill'em. A couple of quick shakes of the head and done for, sometimes they would come apart though. The problem got so bad in the hood there that the county started baiting them and posting signs to cover garbage cans and such. Keepem sharp

12. Worker

LOL what is it 45 or 75miles? It seems like forever on the twisty roads..:bwah:

Just for accuracy I map quested it and it is 60 miles and 1 hour 30 minutes drive either way 128 or 20. I did not map Comptche Ukiah road which I take from time to time, which might be shorter.

Still seems like forever to me especially when I get stuck behind an RV, Truck or SloMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2016
  13. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

You need one Jack Russell Terrier.

Job done.

Then you get a kick ass dog to hang with your other kick ass dog instead of rats.

obi

14. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

He's a good dude!

What?

:ropeman:

15. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

Glad to hear it is not me this time, and that nobody is having sex with rodents... :ropeman:

16. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

My gf had a problem with rats coming in her house... actually saw one eating out of the cat's bowl of food near the back deck. After I told her not to use poison 'cause they could possibly die within the walls & stink for awhile, she bought an electric trap. I believe she 'zapped' near 8 rats of varying sizes... the last 3 were white??? Either they were albinos or someone's pets stealing the cat's food.:devilwag:

17. Ed_Jitsu

Ed_Jitsu Little member

My house was built in 1929 and renovated in 1987. Not sure what happened during the reno, but every winter I start hearing those bastards running up in the attic. I usually end up trapping a handful, and am good again until next winter. Every pest guy I've had out is stumped as to how they're getting in. Unfortunately, the crawlspace is too low for anyone to go into and believe it or not, there's no access to the attic from inside the house. I hate using the snap traps, as I've almost caught my finger in one when the latch didn't hold as well as I thought, so I may give those electric ones a try next time!

18. sickboy

sickboy Marsupial Brigade Member

If you use poison you run the risk of killing the owls and any other raptors (and cats, dogs, etc...)that might pick up a dead rat. Also if any other animal gets into the stuff it would be bad. My parents cat died from eating a poisoned mouse. It would have taken days of internal bleeding to kill him if they didn't put him down.

sickboy

19. adnj

adnj Huge member

What you need is a .22 and a cold beer.

Komitadjie likes this.
  20. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

My grandparents lived in a very old farmhouse in Southern Ontario. One summer the house became infested and they laid out poison. When the rats started dying, they did it in the walls of the old house and drove my grandparents out to live in a camper trailer in the yard for the remainder of the summer.