1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Frikin' yellow jackets!

Clydetz Sep 9, 2013

1. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Did it didn't ya:manganr:

2. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

my wife got all stung up by a nest out front this year.

i despise those little bastards.

they are especially bad in drought years since they aren't drowned in the nest.

i worked with an operator that cut into an underground nest while cutting fire lines. he said the nest was the size of a refrigerator. he left the equipment there because they chased him off.

3. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

Glad I saw this thread Gary, jeeze I am so allergic to gnat bites it is not even funny. Will give Gene all the information in the am cause he is sleeping now. He is going to take over mowing in case the yellow jackets get me. Not sure what reaction I would get. In UK a mosquito or gnat would just welt me up, USA has the really biggest of bites possible. Already had a shot in the past for this..I love gardening.:ropeman:

4. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I actually just held the flashlight... Maureen sprayed and then put the brick over the hole. :jdwink2: She hates them 'jackets' more than me. She's been stung and her daughter recently got stung on the face a few times while weeding in the yard. Hopefully the buggers are dead and any survivors will look for another place. :thumbsup:

Good luck out in the yard Rosie. Be alert! ​Don't forget... one yellow jacket can sting you several times!

5. Kelper

Kelper Penguin Egg Eater Lady Devil

Thanks for the headsup Gary

I had NO idea they stung more than once, hmm will be really careful, maybe should shoot some reloading powder Gene knows how to do this, and get them before they get me....there is a big apartment complex being built nearby his parents...so we can blame damage on them :ropeman:

6. Clydetz

Checked on the entrance to the yellow jacket's nest... all gone/dead! :thumbsup: I'm going to 'hit' it with another bit of the spray can stuff just in case they want to pick up where they left off. I'd love to dig up the ground and find the nest but I'll leave well enough alone.

7. Shike

Hornets, wasps and yellow jackets have a barbless stinger, that is why they can sting you repeatedly:jdwink2:

8. Shike

:manganr:Told ya!:bwah:

Clydetz likes this.
  9. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

She has Mo bigga balls than thee...

Bee warned!

:bwah:

10. wcjohn

wcjohn Sum Quod Sum JDBA Official Member

Ha me too. I got a good story but I'm on my iPhone. I'll type it out when I'm at a computer.

One thing though. There's been reports of African paper hornets imbedding themselves on the west coast. They're a little slimmer I believe than yellow jackets. Beware!

11. Clydetz

I haven't noticed any balls but she sure has 'grit'! She didn't hesitate in spraying the entrance to the nest and then placing the brick over the hole. My big fear was that we'd spray the entrance and they'd all be coming out from another entrance/exit. Happened to me when I sprayed a nest of wasps that set up shop behind my garage gutter awhile back. I'm busy spraying the opening & they're coming out another opening. Didn't like being up on the ladder then! :devilzeek
    ps... the yellow jackets are gone but not forgotten. I'll always be on the lookout for others at this time of year.

12. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

wife just called....we've got another nest.

13. Clydetz

Why the nerve of those dirty, rotten, scoundrels! Give 'em hell but do it at night while they're all sleeping. :thumbsup:

14. corjzg

corjzg Hittin' Switches

I used to see paper wasps/hornets all the time growing up in CT in the 80-90s. They're one of the few bugs I'm all set with, though I still catch & release them in the house. They weren't overly aggressive until we started throwing rocks at their nest. Dumb kids! I remember my dad accidentally trimming our juniper hedges and sawing through a white-faced hornet's nest He came running in the house and dropped trou' to his y-fronts, exposing like 50+ stings. Man was he hurtin. Nasty bastards:
    [​IMG]
    Earlier this year I read an article by an entymologist who works with the worst of the worst, and he categorized the most painful stings by insects. Yellowjackets & hornets were like a 2 or 3 (out of 5). The #1 spot went to the bullet ant, supposedly one of the most painful things on the planet to experience, and the only 5/5 on his list. The craziest thing I've ever seen was a NatGeo special on the Japanese Giant Hornet. The fucking things are monstrous and invade honeybee hives, destroy all the bees, and feed their larvae to their own. I can't imagine what getting attacked by a nest of those fuckers is like, but in Japan, they're the most lethal animal.
    [​IMG]
    Interesting & horrifying all at once. Glad you got rid of them safely~

15. Bobert

Bobert Look what I can do!

"If we go out there......that's just more victims"!

:bobert:

16. Bobert

Bobert Look what I can do!

Are you fucking nuts?

It takes way more balls to stand there with a flashlight, than it does to stand there armed with bee and wasp spray!!! :bwah:

Clydetz likes this.
  17. Clydetz

Yeah! Like... how many swarming yellow jackets can you kill with a flashlight? :ross: And don't forget... she had a brick as well as bee & wasp spray!