1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Frikin' yellow jackets!

Clydetz Sep 9, 2013

1. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

About a week ago I noticed this perfectly round hole in the ground in my backyard. Figured it might be from a mouse or some similar animal. I forgot all about it. Yesterday I'm in the backyard and I notice several yellow jackets entering & exiting that hole. I hate any flying, 6 legged varmint that can sting and I know these buggers can sting more than once! I go out to the garage and find a can of wasp & hornet killer... the kind of stuff that shoots a stream of whatever over 10'. I was ready to do battle but then I remembered that it's safer & best to spray them suckers at night after they're all in the nest. I went out a short time ago with my trusty 'can of death' but couldn't find the damn opening to the nest! Now I have to warn the lawn cutting guy tomorrow to stay clear of the area until I can kill the yellow jackets! I'll probably have a nightmare tonight about a swarm of yellow jackets chasing me all over the backyard! :manganr:
    Anyone have any experiences with these winged stingers?

2. 22MEANTXGUNS22

22MEANTXGUNS22 Huge member

Had an interesting experience with wasps while hanging out with my girlfriend and her kid. We were all swimming at the pool for her apt and he tried to swipe away at a wasp on the waters surface but it clinged to his hand and stung him. Ironically, he didn't cry until his mother started panicking because she didn't know how poisonous wasp venom is. I actually had to get her to settle down because she was scaring him. I took him inside and put some baking soda water mix on it, which they say takes away the sting and he was fine. Then she got all mad at me and accused me of "teaching him macho bullshit" whatever that means but hey, if the kid is tough, the kid is tough, hell if that had been me I would have been screaming like a little girl, and I'm a grown up, so more props to the little guy for handling it as calmly as he did.

3. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Call a professional. :devilcorn:

[video=youtube;-eQuJTSGiMk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eQuJTSGiMk[/video]

4. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

But make sure it's not this guy. :bwah:

[video=youtube;_MnfCFZPJCE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MnfCFZPJCE[/video]

5. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

When I was real young my cousins and I were playing hide and seek around some old cars at my uncles body shop... I was hiding and a swarm started seeking.....got my chest, neck, arms, face and my legs..lucky I don't have any allergic reactions...

6. Clydetz

Thanks for adding to my nightmares, Glenn! :devilzeekGeeze... now I might just rent a flame thrower and scorch the earth where they live from about 25 feet away.

7. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Yes Gary, spray it at night (use a flashlight next time:manganr:). Have a large rock handy and cover the hole with after spraying into the hole. Wait a day or so. I would bet they will all be dead. If you are not sure or are allergic do what Glen said..call a pro.

8. Komodo

Komodo entertainment coordinator Brigade Member

Unfortunately, I do.

Get TWO cans of bee & wasp spray.
    Spray during the day so you can see what you're doing.
    Make SURE you have a clear path of escape in case you have to run away if they swarm. (They'll only chase you for 50 feet or so.)

Have one can in each hand, ready to spray.
    Stand back as far away as you can, and EMPTY one can in the hole in one continous long spray.
    Use the other can to spray any "soldiers" that try to get out of the nest.

When you feel safe, go back and fill in the opening. Go back a day or so latter and see if any wasps cleared the opening. If not, you're wasp problem is solved. If the opening is cleared, spray them again.

Good luck Gary :thumbsup:

9. XamaX

XamaX Huge member

Chop Chop.

[video=youtube;XXec7zBaPxA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXec7zBaPxA[/video]

I am just fiddling with my Quadcopter at the minute...

10. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

My suggestion would be to mind your own bees-wax!! :2ful:

11. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

These are bald-faced hornets. They can be mean little bastards when provoked. I set up my tripod under the nest with a 400mm lens and some additional extension so that it could focus closer in:

[​IMG]

Here are a few other shots of hornets over the years:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. GDOK

GDOK knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I've had good results with fire

13. Clydetz

Yeah... like I'm really going to get close enough to drop a rock on the hole after I spray their nest and kill their queen, Shike! :ross:

Just took a pic of the hole. I was about 6' away using the telephoto on my camera. There was constant activity going on but I only caught these two coming out?

[​IMG]

14. Bruce

Bruce New Jersey's *other* Bruce

A 10 pound block of C4 would definitely put an end to your yellow jacket reign of terror!
    :bwah::blowup1::bruce:

15. Clydetz

I'm not looking to build a swimming pool where the yellow jackets once lived, Bruce. :manganr:

No one has been stung that I know of but my neighbor's 3 young girls and their dog, Oscar, travel near the nest on their way across my back yard to bring me a 'paperplate special' almost every evening. :thumbsup:

16. corjzg

corjzg Hittin' Switches

My info/2 cents:

Yellowjackets make both traditional "overhead" nests (ie in eves, trees, overhangs, etc) and can also make a nest underground in old animal burrows, etc. I ran over a subterranean nest one once with a lawnmower, before I knew they could be underground, those things came pouring out & I went running. It's better to attack the nest at night, when theyre more dormant, but you can do it in daylight if it's too hard to see. Use a frisbee or something similar to mark the location of the hole (in the daytime), that way you don't have to get close to it, and can find it at night. Fire will be tough to use because of the lack of oxygen, but if you dumped a cup of gas in the hole and threw down a match, it would probably do the trick. I wouldn't. They can dig out of dirt so just filling in the hole won't work, though it will slow them down for a few days.

A trick I learned a few years ago is to use a medium concentration of dishwashing detergent (ie Dawn, etc) and water, and to spray them down. The detergent coats their wings, rendering them unable to fly, and then they're easy pickins. You can follow up the dishwashing with pyretherin (sic), a natural insecticide made from crushed flowers, that isn't hazardous to the environment or pets. No noxious insect killing chemicals, no fire hazards, no C4. Sometimes people use smoke on them too, it doesn't kill them, but acts like a narcotic and slows down their movements & aggression. I think you're in NJ, so you only have about a month left of bees. It's gonna be 91 here in MA Wed, which means those bastards will be especially nasty. I'd wait til Thu if you haven't hit them by tonite.

17. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

DO NOT pour Coleman fuel (white gas) in the hole!
    DO NOT tie a rag on the end of a ten foot length of conduit!
    DO NOT soak the rag in Coleman fuel!
    DO NOT light the rag!
    DO NOT ask me how I know!

18. Clydetz

Appreciate all the info Devils. Putting something near the hole so I can find it easier ain't a bad idea, corjzg... will do that in a few minutes. Thanks! I have only one can of bee & wasp spray and it's only about 3/4's full. I'm going to blast them varmints tonight! I was just out by the nest at 4pm and they are still coming & going like crazy. I figure 7:30pm should be a good time for them to be tucked into their beds for the night and still light enough for me to see what I'm aiming at! :manganr: Wish me luck!‚Äč

19. dymond47

dymond47 Better than gold or platinum

Damn, i hate yellow jackets and wasps! be safe G-man!

20. Clydetz

Maureen came over and we both went out to the hole in the ground at about 7:45pm with a flashlight, spray and I had placed a brick near the hole so we could find it. She seemed to take great pleasure in spraying about 1/2 of the spray can into the hole and then grab the brick and cover the hole! We'll have to see what's going on tomorrow.