1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Friction Forging?

captainblowhole Nov 25, 2011

1. captainblowhole

captainblowhole Captain Coconut

Diamond Blades uses this process with this spinning ram to use friction to rapidly raise the temperature of the untreated D2 seen here to the point that the area thats being friction forged is brought up to heat treat temperatures while the rest remains untreated. The result is a differentially hardened blade. What are your thoughts on this? The blades are quite expensive, but I love that they are convexed and wish I could afford one!

[YOUTUBE]slKNsQIYrdc?[/YOUTUBE]

2. rscheppmann

rscheppmann Diabolus ex Occasus Knife Maker or Craftsman

I'd be curious how well it refines the grain. If the blade gets hot enough, it will harden when it air cools, but D2 can benefit from sub zero quench. I also wonder what the temper process consists of. I don't know if the blade would cool off fast enough to harden properly due to the friction contact moving down the blade and keeping heat contact with it. Anyone with experience with this process that can school me too?

3. PolishAvenger

PolishAvenger Average member

4. captainblowhole

captainblowhole Captain Coconut

This is awesome! Thank you. So the way this spinning ram presses and heats the untreated D2 causes the carbides to go from 5 microns to 0.5 and heat treats it to 58-60 rockwell in the area where it was happening. In the video, I notice how the ram is not at the edge of the steel, but rather a ways into it. I assume that they will then grind towards the treated area until they hit it from the bottom, and then form their bevel. Very interesting! Its a shame the Diamond Blade is out of my price range, but Id love to try one. I love the Wayne Goddard Hunter the make. Its the perfect shape in my opinion

klc05409_wayne_goddard_design_hunter_ce_pop_up.jpg