1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

FOS Pikal progress report........

M.Olexey Dec 19, 2008

1. M.Olexey

M.Olexey capo of the Texas knifemaking mafia Brigade Member

The hybrid sheath would be a natural. I'll get you the details.

mo

2. M.Olexey

Blanks for the revised Pikal....

2 regulars and an XL
    [​IMG]

more soon,

mo

3. theMachine

theMachine Huge member

Any reason for adding the choil? I've heard from others that in real life use, there's a chance of it catching on clothing and other stuff.

4. M.Olexey

That is true....the way some are done. They become a problem when the choil has a tighter radius. This makes a little hook type shape at the top that catches and binds in some material. I never use that tight a radius (small circle) so the angle at the top of the choil is always directing whatever you are cutting away from the blade. In the case of the Pikal....it's also a way to feel without looking that your hand or finger is about to move to the sharp edge. By the time they are finished this will be a very shallow dip.

Great question. Hopefully my response makes sense.

MO

5. theMachine

theMachine Huge member

The choil is pretty shallow. Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense.

6. potterma

potterma Huge member

I really like the design you ended up with! The "regular" looks very concealable. Look forward to seeing them finished.

7. M.Olexey

This is finally about to be complete. I should have pics of a semi finished one by Sunday.

Stay tuned....

mo

8. Semper708

Semper708 I know more about nothing than you ever will My Ass is on Probation

:devilzeek:popcorn::madaddy:

9. M.Olexey

Getting there.....

Got scales on the pikal and did the stonewash finish. Blue and black G10 (can't really make it out in the pics). Making a hybrid sheath for it tonight and will experiment with serrations (on scrap first). If I can come up with something that works well, I'll add them to the back edge and sharpen and we'll be done....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

quick not great pic of the whole thing (will take one with better lighting this weekend)

[​IMG]

more soon...

mo

10. potterma

potterma Huge member

I'm lovin' it!

Can't wait to see it with some big nasty serrations.... :goatee::devilzeek

11. SPLITSHOT

SPLITSHOT Paracord Pimp

Those are awesome....great work my friend

M.Olexey likes this.