1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

FOS Pikal progress report........

M.Olexey Dec 19, 2008

1. M.Olexey

M.Olexey capo of the Texas knifemaking mafia Brigade Member

Most here know I'm new to the forum management thing so I don't know if people want to hear every detail about everything I do in the shop up to and including the failures. But, I mainly have this forum to discuss my knifemaking addiction and the only reason I sell knives is so I can make more so I share every detail hopefully without making it too boring.

Which brings me to the FOS Pikal project. A great idea proposed by themachine here a while back based on my FOS design. The idea being to just turn the FOS handle around and have a good option for the reverse grip edge up or edge in method. I'm really proud of the FOS handle, it works damn well and is very secure for such a short handle. Well, of course I over thought it and made the change complicated and ended up with a completely different handle shape that essentially sucks. Pics and explanation below.....

In this pic you can see that I brought the sharpened side out from the spine thinking I needed a stop on the bite side of the blade ( yellow arrow). So then I had to start adjusting the grip to create clearance for this which forced the rear shelf (red arrow) back where now only one finger rests on it. Net result is a knife that is not very comfortable when impacting hard on the tip. All the force is transferred to the soft meaty web of the hand and the tiny pinky finger. Always cool to design a knife that hurts the user when employed "as designed!?!?". So this piece of shit goes into the "I'll finish it someday pile", a very large pile in my shop. Back to the drawing board.

[​IMG]

So instead of trying to turn the design around, I decided why not just sharpen the spine (with a slight line change to orient the tip correctly). This gets the grip back where two fingers rest on the rear shelf as I originally designed it. So the simple solution already looks better and the aluminum template verifies that the ergos are right so now we can proceed and get a Pikal version of the FOS that will actually work :tardrule:

Standard FOS Pikal scale drawing (bottom) with two XL's on top.....

[​IMG]

stay tuned because now that I am on the right path I can finally get excited about this one again. If my open display of ignorance can help just one knifemaker then my life will not be a waste :deviltard:

If you read this far thanks for your interest. Sorry for the long winded post.

as an aside: Are posts like this interesting content? Should I just shut up until something is complete (not saying I will but I am interested in everyones input), or should I keep posting all the ups and downs? I'm all ears.

mo

Jorge Banner likes this.
  2. six

six straight up pimp

N0t B0ring at all.

M.Olexey likes this.
  3. Jorge Banner

Jorge Banner Down For Life

Yeap, yeap, yeap, yeap, yeap.

No, no, no, no, no.

Yeap, yeap, yeap, yeap, yeap.

(Thanks, I love this kind of posts.)

M.Olexey likes this.
  4. Chris Daigle

Chris Daigle Half fast

Great WIP MO. Keep it up brother.

Chris

5. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

It is nice to see that SOME makers actually think about there design and work hard on it instead of just making what looks cool or trendy and popular.

Great post and PLEASE keep these sorts of posts coming.

M.Olexey likes this.
  6. GSC

GSC knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Cool Pics Mo, Keep them coming.:cheesydevil:
    Gordon

M.Olexey likes this.
  7. M.Olexey

That what I was hoping y'all would say.

Thanks for the good comments and input guys.

chicklets for everyone :vatoloco:

mo

8. theMachine

theMachine Huge member

Posts like this are very interesting, it's good to know what goes in on the mind of a knifemaker and it shows you really care for comfort and practicality.

Glad I was able to help you come up with ideas you like. Can't wait to see it finished, I know it's going to be a badass pikal.

9. M.Olexey

Thanks buddy! Yea it sucks to get that far along and figure out the knife is crap but I guess it's all part of the process. Now at least I KNOW it will be cool and functional. I can use the old one to practice the serrations so it wont be a total waste.

:devilcorn:

mo

10. wildman

wildman Huge member

Hello

Don't give Kato his knife. :thumbsup: LOL. That is all Kato talks about is his new Pikal that's comming. LOL:bang:

11. M.Olexey

Ha! Does he know you're always watching out for him? :cheesydevil:

mo

12. cover6

cover6 Average member

Keep it going M.O., information pieces like this are educational and also let your potential buyers see exactly what their money is being spent on and hopefully they'll appreciate the end result more after seeing all the effort that goes into their piece. ONce again, you the man M.O.!

M.Olexey likes this.
  13. lotus1972

lotus1972 Huge member

Third drawing down is just about spot on imho.:devilinheaven:

14. M.Olexey

That's gonna be the one.

Thanks for the input.

mo

15. lotus1972

lotus1972 Huge member

It'll be cool too see that one when it's finished. Do you know what thickness your going to have on the blade? I always found that when actually handling them I like Pakal and Karambit styles to be short and somewhat thick. Not that I have used a knife to create wound channels but if I was too then a blade which is technically ripping would perform even better at 1/4 inch than a thinner stock.

Since I'm already pestering you with Q's lol here's one more:cadi:. Is the finish going to be bright shiny or work style finished.

16. M.Olexey

I've made a few of the FOS with 1/4" stock and I like them that way. I think my personal version of this one will be 1/4". Most of them are 3/16th's which is by no means thin however. I'll do them both ways.

On the carbon steel knives I've been bead blasting and wet tumbling. This gives a great non reflective gray finish that's also very smooth (unlike a blasted finish). It has also seemed to be very rust resistant even with the carbon steels.

It's the finish I like most. Very good for a working knife. Does not show wear or scratches easily.

mo

17. Ravenor

Ravenor Huge member

Forget what said in the other thread, I'll take the second XL with the serrations and black handle if you decide to make that too. Send me a bill. Can we powder coat that black? How long is the blade? Thank you. I'll shut up now.

18. Ravenor

Ravenor Huge member

Forget the HOS for now...

Keyboard betrayed me! Sorry.

19. M.Olexey

Who's Bill :gitchu: Black PC is no problem. The blade is about 4.1". No need to shut up, this is all about interaction. PM me when your ready and I'll get you on the list. The XL will get made, I'm not sure when yet but I can get you on the notify list.

Thanks for the nice comments.

mo

20. Semper708

Semper708 I know more about nothing than you ever will My Ass is on Probation

I would also would like info on the XL....What sheath would you offer? That leather side draw (FOS hybrid sheath design) would be nice. Email me a price, I would like to get on the list..... SemperFi, Brad :semper: