1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Flytanium 6x (67) thoughts.

Tmack Apr 25, 2015

1. bruzanHD

bruzanHD Huge member

So with all things considered; weight, balance, aesthetics, etc. which one do you prefer? Why?

2. Silent Jay

Silent Jay Flips more than he speaks JDBA Official Member

I like the FlyTi 6x handles. Wish I got to flip something that wasn't a trainer blade.

But forreal, a 63 FlyTi would be tight.

3. Tmack

Tmack Level: True Devil

I really like the weight in the tip of the 67. Plus it looks viscous (and is). I put my 63 blade on both handles, and it just doesn't carry like the 67 even though they basically weight the same. That grind really carries the weight in that wide tip, and I think that's perfect for balance.
    Same goes for my preference in the handles. I like the v0 with the solid mass at the end of the handles. It's overall lighter, faster, and doesn't feel handle heavy or sluggish.

67v0 is a fantastic flipper, looks killer

4. bruzanHD

bruzanHD Huge member

:thumbsup:
    I prefer the uniqueness of the fullers, and I like the neutralness in weight as well

5. Tmack

Those fullers really do look great. He did an awesome job.

6. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

as mentioned

the fullers version is more neutral in weight. i really like them but the 62 blade feels light, i think the 67 would be best with these handles because of the weight being toward the blade tip helping carry more momentum.

the slotted version has more of its weight in the handle bottoms and i like it more on the 62 blade. the lighter blade kicks around better with the v0 style handles.

i love the radius on both styles

i got my stripped screw out and filed the sex bolt down a bit more and installed a new screw. its freaking perfect.

thanks for putting these out there Flytanium!

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  7. Tmack

I actually used some fresh .125 pivots for mine. Figured since they needed to be modified, id just go for a nice polished look.

[​IMG]

8. bruzanHD

bruzanHD Huge member

I mirror finished mine, it looks awesome, other titanium being darker in color than steel, as it makes the blade and spacers look weird. :ropeman:

9. Tmack

I don't think mine looks weird at all. I like the contrast.

I think polished would look good too. I respect all types of styles though.

10. bruzanHD

bruzanHD Huge member

Weird good, not weird bad
    :bwah:

11. zuggzugg

zuggzugg JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I just installed mine and I'm having the same issue I think with both of my handles. There's a pretty considerable gap between the spacers and the scales. :cry:

I didn't have time to do more than assemble and quickly flip it on my lunchbreak. I didn't want to loctite it yet since I noticed this spacer issue. So do I need to file something down you're saying? Hmm...:devilroll:

I do love the way it feels and flips though! I need to find a 63 or 67 as I only have a 60T right now. Those rounded handles are so nice! Making me really want to get my rep handles rounded/chamfered like everyone is doing! :thumbsup:

I'll mess with it more when I get home but I'm kind of bummed about the spacer gap. Doesn't seem to affect flipping but it just looks bad.

12. Tmack

Lots of things will work. Sand paper on a glass table probably best. Get like a 360 grit, and have at it.
    Mine needed to be about .415 including the head, but I used standard sexbolts and got rid of the stock pivot. That meant I had to make the spacer hole round (stock has that flat side) but it turned out great.

My pivot lap I thought id only use a little, is getting a workout.

Totally redid my 41 zen pins (stock had dents from the tang, and the new .125 from Usaknifemaker are so much stronger they hardly have a blemish at all) and now they can be fully right with the thicker pb washers.
    Redid some 51 clip pivots
    Stainless alpha beast bushings to replace the pb (it feels waaay better)

It's really come in handy. Took me about 2 minutes to size the fly67 pivots for a perfect fit.

If you guys like to do your own repairs, get one. I got my alpha beast pivots accurate to the 5 ten thousandth.
    .1685 on the button. As accurate as my calipers go. Without the pivot lap, no way id be able to get so accurate, with absolutely flat results.

Sorry for the book, but I know this might help out guys that like to maintain their knives themselves. I hate sending knives off.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  13. I Am Who I Am

I Am Who I Am Huge member

Help

While installing the V0.5 handles on a 62 I ran into a bit of a problem.

I overtightened the zen pins and stripped one of the screws for the zen pins which caused the handles to squeeze too tight on the blade making it too tight to flip.
    (The only T6 bit I had was the bench made blue box, will be investing in a T6 once and for all after this lesson)

How in the heck would you guys go about getting the stripped T6 screw out and where would you get a replacement screw? Ive tried an allen wrench, tape, and am starting to think superglue is the only answer left.

As of now I can't even test out the Ti 6X but the handles do feel very nice. I could see this being an awesome flipper.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
  14. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

cant u loosen the pivot screw at all to help?

i stripped one of mine and had to tape the handle well and drill it out.

15. I Am Who I Am

The handle is still too tight even with the pivot screw removed.

16. JAKMAN32

JAKMAN32 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Pics? If the screw is out and it's still holding too tight u may have lapped the pivot over the handle. U could try prying it apart with a flat head screw driver with electrical tape on the head to keep it from marking. Or if u have a vice u could press the pivot back out. I haven't come across press fit pivots of that size before maybe someone could recommend a supply outfit that offers em. A call to benchmade is probably the place to start, see if they will send u a hardware pack.

17. I Am Who I Am

I went ahead and ordered some new hardware from bench made, thanks Jackman I didn't realize it would be that easy :bwah:

18. Rumpty

Rumpty JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

having the same problems with the screws bottoming out on the safe handle spacer although mine was bought pre assembled, the zen pin screw in mine doesnt seem to be seated either as you can see under it but it is also tight so i guess ill have to pull it down and trim a bit off that screw as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Flytanium

Flytanium Flytanium Knife Maker or Craftsman

I don't think it's the screw. I think there is some inconsistency with how long the 2 pins in the spacers are. Try assembling it without the pins to see if that make a difference. The pins may need to be trimmed a hair.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
  20. Rumpty

Rumpty JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

i can squeeze the scales together but they pop back out like the pic so it definatly isnt the pins, ill take a bit off the screws as i dont have a tap for the spacers