1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

FlyTanium 51 vs. Benchmade 42

dmanvieth Oct 31, 2014

1. Vampill

Vampill Preschooler JDBA Official Member

I actually agree. It just barely beat the 47 for me because it felt more comfortable.

2. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I knew you were cool!!:bwah::thumbsup: Can I borrow your 47!!??:ropeman::jdwink2:

3. squidmaster23

squidmaster23 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

For me I felt like the 51 was a bit unbalanced since there wasn't enough weight in the blade. Also, I felt like the handles were rough on my hands but that could be just me.

4. Darren Terry

Darren Terry Huge member

42 4 life.

5. Darren Terry

Darren Terry Huge member

42 4 President

6. Taz103

Taz103 Little member

I can't help but wonder how the Flytanium 6X will compare to the FT51 and thee 4X?

He is already planning longer handles. If he also adds a spring latch (or at least a better latch) and maybe an optional removable pocket clip; I think we will have a real winner there!

7. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Little excessive !!!:bwah::jdwink2:

With all those options I could see the cost going way above and beyond the benefit of the mod....in other words you would have more $ in modding a 6x than you would having a custom built or at least close...let alone all the other options available now and on the horizon.

8. Vampill

Vampill Preschooler JDBA Official Member

pm send!1! Only for cleavagestyle bali

9. Brad_Gilbert

Brad_Gilbert JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I prefer the flytanium over my 42, i love the weight on it and it pinches me a lot less, plus its gorgeous! But im waiting for his 6 series to come out, that will probably be better than both the 42 and 51:thumbsup:

10. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Check my math for me. I'm no Einstein but I did stay at a Holiday Inn...

***BM6x + longer ti handles + spring latch = BM4x

11. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

.....sigh......

12. VANELLI

VANELLI JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I will know soon enought, yes, yes I will . . . :bwah:

13. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

I think you should use the search function to see the 42 compared to everything under the sun, then search the flytaintum and understand that making a better 51 does not = better than the 42.

14. VANELLI

Since my last post I recieved FLytanium scales in the mail and installed them. Took me more than 10 min. but it was fairley easy.

Compared to the 42 . . .
    I kinda like the balance better of the 51 for twirling and thumb rolls are fast. The beveled edges of the 51 and smaller profile of the handles make it feel like a heavy 42 t-latch. The stonewash is grippier than the brushed finish of the 42. Unless my hands were still sticky from all the candy.
    It feels less solid than the 42 though and a little wobbly, handle play is normal but, I don't have it locktited yet.
    More time is needed but I think this is the closest thing to a 42 that I've felt.

15. ItsASatchel

ItsASatchel Little member

Thanks for this info. I've been deciding on whether to shell out extra cash for a 4X or just get the flytanium. I ended up getting the flys yesterday and although I can't compare to any others it feel great in hand.

16. ItsASatchel

I installed the flytanium handles on my LNIB 51.
    The safe handle has a sticking point about halfway though rotation. I can't figure out why.
    It's stiff for about 15-20 degrees and swings free on either side of that.
    I disassembled and flipped washers, etc. and nothing has helped.
    On that note, the press pin that is at the latch end of the safe handle doesn't catch and just spins freely and I can't get it to fully tighten; any suggestions? There is about 1mm of play and I think that could be part of the sticking issues.
    Thanks in advance and feel free to correct me if this should be posted somewhere else.

17. L3b4

L3b4 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Jerry gave me a good tip in the other thread. He told me to use a rubber band under my thumb to hold the pin in place. It worked for me (I used a rubber balloon though since I couldn't find a thick old-school rubber band).
    Hope this helps.

18. VANELLI

Only 1mm? Back that out to 3-4mm at the handel ends. Sounds like you might have it too tight.

19. ItsASatchel

I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks. I'll give it a shot and if worse come to worse I'll yank the pin out and send it off to Benchmade for a replacement.

Are you referring the play between the 2 handles? I'm talking about looseness between the liner and the handle itself. Not sure if we are on the same page or I'm just a knucklehead.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014
  20. VANELLI

:unintroduced: