1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Flyfather latch mods - for the cost of a stamp!

hummeroid Mar 20, 2013

1. hummeroid

hummeroid Little member

Hi all,

So, here's my first "contribution" to JD, after all the tricks its given me I feel it necessary to show this little trick.

I'm not a fan of latches flapping around when flipping, and lucky for me my tach 2 has a sticky latch roll pin so it doesn't move, my 51 has a spring latch... But my fly father? Its flappy. Only option was to silence it.

I went around work and managed to find a part we obsoleted a while ago that happens to do the trick. What I did was find a tiny o-ring whose I.d. happens to be the o.d. of the latch gate pin. Pulled my handle partly apart, slid latch out, installed o-ring and reassembled. It still pops open plenty, isn't hard to close, but stays put when !

Now, maybe I'm a noob. This may be a common fix on these. I sure was pleased though, and since they're obsolete... They're free and I have enough to put a couple in every flyfather ever made. So, as a token of thanks to JD, I'd love to send a few to whoever would like some. The stamp price is a joke, shoot me a pm or email with your name and address and I'll drop some in the mail for you.

No guarantee on longevity of this fix, but I should have enough rings to last us till the end of time.

Pics tomorrow. These things are tiny and my digital microscope is at work!

2. Icceal555

Icceal555 Huge member

People have been doing the o-ring mod for years, it's an easy but effective solution. If you don't want the latch to move at all, you can also use a rubber band or KnifeZoid's tube mod.

[video=youtube;yrsuRZWP_T4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrsuRZWP_T4[/video]

aBadMojo likes this.
  3. hummeroid

hummeroid Little member

I've seen oring/tubes in the location of that video, but the fly father has an integral latch gate... This oring lives inside a semi circular cutout inside the latch handle and is damn near invisible, unlike the other oring mod. Pics will help. Maybe we both speak of the same thing but still, free orings!

4. Icceal555

Icceal555 Huge member

I misunderstood, thank you for correcting me. I don't have any experience with the flyfather, so pictures would be greatly appreciated.

5. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

The early Flyfathers don't have the latch gate so this would not help them all.

I do have a JD Flyfather with latch gate, would love to try it out. PM on the way.

Thanks ! :thumbsup:

6. hummeroid

hummeroid Little member

So, busy day yesterday and today, pics up tonight.

Changed location of the ring, the edges of the latch gate relief cut the rings pretty easily. New location does not, and still works great.

Also of note, those balls are hard to find if they fall out... :devilroll: May be time for a ceramic bearing upgrade in the near future if my eyes dont start finding them.

7. hummeroid

hummeroid Little member

Ok, here we go. Since the gap on the latch gate pin is rather large, I have changed to putting the o-ring in the latch pivot pin. It takes a bit more stretching of the ring to accomplish, but works perfect. The gap there is the o-ring. It doesn't cause any excessive drag for using the latch, but stays still well and its practically invisible.

[​IMG]

The other way, on the latch gate pin can work well with a longer pin. I'd be happy to turn down some for any interested individuals. Takes me a minute or two on the lathe.