1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Florida's creepy critters

TacoMan5000 Apr 12, 2011

1. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

Since I've moved down here, I've found myself either stumbling across animals I've never seen before, or encountering ones I'm not used to dealing with. Here are a few snapshots of them thus far.

This is Duncan. Duncan was a Florida Bonneted Bat that someone captured, having found it on the ground and thinking it was wounded because it wouldn't fly away (most bats can't take off from the ground; they have to drop down from a height). So my friend who works there decided to rehabilitate it. I convinced her to take it into my yard and put it on a tree branch; Duncan was free less than a minute later.
    [​IMG]

This one is actually very interesting. We didn't name this one; we found it while walking along the beach, and it was so odd looking that we brought it home with us. I can't recall what its scientific name is, but it usually lives around 1,000M, I think. We have no idea how it washed up on shore.
    [​IMG]

And then there's this little bastard. I came home from work one night to find this thing crawling on the front wall of my house. It looks dangerous, so I didn't touch it. When I got close to take a picture, it whipped its tail at me like a scorpion. I didn't take any more pictures after I got a decent one. No idea what the Hell it is.
    [​IMG]

SugarSkull likes this.
  2. SugarSkull

SugarSkull Ring Of Bone

Cool critters.

We see some of those type of caterpillars up here in Tn. :ross:

3. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

Do you know what it's called? Know thine enemy and all that...

4. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

Great!! Now i will NEVER get to sleep tonight!!!

Very cool pics my friend..

5. edcforme

edcforme Huge member

Wonderful critters! Always loved Bats! The caterpillar is "probably" harmless, just imitating something that isn't!

6. maui4lowry

maui4lowry Zombie Eradicator Extraordinaire

don't forget the scorpions here that measure less then an 1" and will leave you wondering what hot blade just sliced through you like hot butter

7. dax0007

dax0007 Level: True Devil

What about recluse spiders.. Those little suckers can really cause a huge size "crater " sore!!

8. dax0007

dax0007 Level: True Devil

brown recluse

9. maui4lowry

not poisonous but creeeeeeeeepy.......the huntsman spider

10. SugarSkull

SugarSkull Ring Of Bone

Bloody hell guys!

11. payaso

payaso Soothsayer

Is that pic from here in St. Pete? That's fucking nasty. I've seen some creepy ass shit when working down by Wauchula, and up north by Dunellon/brooksville, but never here in the burg.

12. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Finkenstein shit kid Brigade Member

All spiders are venomous. None are poisonous.

13. redneckloser

redneckloser Huge member

JESUS H CHRIST!!!!!

WHERE ARE YOU,SO I CAN MAKE SURE TO NEVER,EVER COME THERE!!

I hate Spiders...Hate 'em. they have huge ones in South & Central America,where I 'played' for many years,and have even had one either drop/fall on me,or put there by a teammate who knew i didnt like spiders. When what I thought was the string of my boonie hat reached a long,hairy leg all the way from my back to the corner of my mouth,and I noticed/felt it was NOT my chinstrap, I screamed like a gurl for some one to "get it off me,get it off me!!!!! goddammit, get it off me!!"

The rest of my team thought it was funny,my Team Sgt came up and pulled it off, called me a pussy,while he was catching his breath from laughing at me of course,and that patrol went to shit.

Then, there was the time in basic, (I was born/raised in the suburbs/city,just fopr some background) when we bivouacked,and set up for our rest overnight activities and such. I saw a big old tree with a hollow base that.to me,looked like a headboard for a bed,and set up my sleeping mat & poncho liner,and ruck nearby thusly. I noticed no one else set up real near by,but paid it no mind. After pulling watch I went to sleep,only yo wake up about a hour later because i could feel something on my face,and when I sat up to brush it away, i felt shit suddenly crawling all over my body (I slept fully clothed, with boots off, and pants unbloused)-and was getting bit. I again,as I am/was prone to do, screamed like a girl, Jumping around slapping my body like Mike Tyson,and when someone ran over and shone one of those crappy issue anglehead flashlights on me-by this time I had stripped naked, still slepping at the crawling on my skin-and we saw it was a million huge,hairy spiders, or,rather, the squashed remains,guts,legs slammed to me with the bidy gone,still waving (they were what I later found out was 'Wolf Spiders)...I mean millions of them. Turns out I had put my 'home away from home' right on top of a wolf spider den.
    Because it was a tactical exercise-a force on force thing,and my screaming like a girl ruined it (Luckily,at my time, there were no chicks assigned to Infantry units),I got chewed out by everyone up & down the CoC.
    No one undrestood,WHY,since i was a city boy,and had a general dislike for the woods & weeds and all that are in them,I volunteered for Infantry, but I did.

I graduated in the top 2% of my class at Ft Benning, and have had the nickname/callsign "Spiderman" ever since.

Did i mention,I really,really hate Spiders?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2011
  14. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

Funny story, Spiderman.

15. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Caught this fellow today, and he was not happy about it ! :bwah:

[​IMG]

16. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

Speaking of caterpillars, stay away from Saddlebacks. When we were kids, they used to bring us to tears with their sting. We'd get zapped reaching into the outfield bushes to retrieve our baseballs. Called it "getting saddlebacked" and more than one kid ran home screaming... :bwah:

[​IMG]

SADDLEBACK

17. payaso

payaso Soothsayer

Bear Grylls would brush his teeth with that thing..:bwah:

18. maui4lowry

I'm not exactly sure where they were taken, but it seems that most of them live in the northwestern part of the state. I know of people that have ran into them here and there around the Tampa Bay area, but mostly around Ocala, Live Oak etc.

19. GregFL

GregFL Average member

I've lived in Florida all my life and never realized how many strange critters and insects there were until I got into macro photography. Here are some from Central Florida that I took.

Wheelbug - uses the beak to impale and inject stomach fluids into their victims
    [​IMG]

Robberfly
    [​IMG]

Spider - the spider is about 1 1/4" long and that's an egg sack with little spiders coming out.
    [​IMG]

ded i likes this.
  20. Ken Brock

Ken Brock Who's Awesome? Super Moderator

got stung by one of them motherfuckers when I was a kid

hurt like a sumbitch