1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Flipping Magazine

Uz4u Feb 27, 2018

1. Uz4u

Uz4u Misanthrope

Hey, I'm back..

So I might be putting together a 40page balisong manipulation magazine.

Who would be interested?

It'll have to go for $15 an Issue to make it work with individual shipping.

Anyone who wants to contribute is welcome to. I'll need photos, and articles (new stuff would be appreciated)

And anyone with any new photos, please do not post them in this thread, the whole point of the magazine is to shop people stuff they haven't seen before.

I'll be feature makers, modders and flippers, With some highlight pages on flipping related injuries and tattoos.

peace

nostimos, desmodus and begreen61 like this.
  2. skyblue

skyblue JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I returned to the hobby 2 years ago, too late to enjoy Bali Times or Balisong Collector during their heyday, and I have always relished whatever little coverage current magazines like Blade, Knives Illustrated or Knife World allocate to the balisong. Reading though Chuck Gollnick's archived articles is like uncovering a gold mine of information of how the knife evolved in this country, from Les de Asis' humble garage-made prototype, early bladesmiths being demonized by Robert Terzuola and the Guild in the 80s, to its current popularity amid a new breed of custom makers. I think that it's important for your magazine to acknowledge these knife makers by featuring them and their art, along with those brave pioneers who paved the way and have since passed on or retired. Flipping is just a part of the balisong experience, and I fear that limiting your magazine's subject to balisong manipulation (which is better learned through visual medium, a plethora of which are already available online) might be extremely short-sighted. You need to include the collectors who are willing to shell out the big bucks for custom knives in your demographic. They are more likely to pony up $15 an issue over flippers, who are a younger demographic and are less likely to spend that much on a magazine, much less purchase a subscription.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    nostimos and begreen61 like this.
  3. skyblue

skyblue JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

dupe...

4. blkolb

blkolb Little Member

I'd be interested in contributing an article for this magazine.

begreen61 likes this.
  5. Morgan McQueeney

Morgan McQueeney JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I would be interested in the magazine as long as it was more than 1 issue.

SEMPER FI,
    GUNNY

desmodus and begreen61 like this.
  6. bobaloo399

bobaloo399 Little member

I'd be interested in this. I would love to read about the history of flipping and people who pushed the community to where it is today. Influential flippers, makers, drops, tricks, and knives would be really cool to read about. I would just hope it doesn't veer towards tutorials on how to manipulate butterfly knives, because that's been done before on a much better medium.

Morgan McQueeney and begreen61 like this.
  7. Uz4u

Uz4u Misanthrope

It will be informative, I'm working to gather as much info as I can about the history of flipping and balisongs in general. Anyone with knowledge there of would be quite helpful.

And there will be as many issues as people are willing to buy/read.

8. Morgan McQueeney

I AM IN

SEMPER FI,
    GUNNY

begreen61 likes this.
  9. Uz4u

Uz4u Misanthrope

I'm shooting to have this done by April 1st. And just so you know, a LARGE portion of any profit will be put back into the community for prizes and such.

10. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

.....April 1st.....some might call it an omen....

nostimos and wingedcamel like this.
  11. Uz4u

Uz4u Misanthrope

oh shit lol, didnt think about that. It wont ship till later that month though

nostimos and desmodus like this.
  12. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Good I'll borrow yours ,,,LOL I'm interested ,,but not sold as of yet,, Most of are archives contain that knowledge ,,granted not all of it,, but I'll probably go for a first issue,,

13. Morgan McQueeney

I will share brother LMAO !!!

SEMPER FI BROTHER,
    GUNNY

14. Dustygmt

Dustygmt Tiger Snot Expert JDBA Official Member

Great idea. Very interesting.

nostimos and Morgan McQueeney like this.
  15. Balibuyer

Balibuyer JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Agreed....would probably have to get atleast the first issue.

nostimos and begreen61 like this.
  16. Cons

Cons Little Member

I'd definitely be down for the first issue and maybe more

nostimos likes this.
  17. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

Desmodus and I were thinking about a digital mag type thing months ago. Seemed more green friendly.

It would take shitloads of content to make it worthwhile.

“Make it a thing”

nostimos, begreen61, desmodus and 2 others like this.
  18. Uz4u

Uz4u Misanthrope

I'm trying lol

nostimos and Morgan McQueeney like this.
  19. san-mai-usa

san-mai-usa JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Digital would be much better, as you could include video tutorials.

nostimos likes this.
  20. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

I have to agree with the digital folks. A podcast or video cast format would be much better. You could use a website for photos but you need more than written pieces in this day and age. Seeing the change in forum participation over the last decade or so certainly reveals a lack of participation in written for video.

A Patreon might be good as well with people going 'pay for play'. I will assume you are an exceptional flipper and will be able to produce many of the segments yourself. Once you dilute to use many others your need to pay for content, your profit drops like a stone.

If you do go magazine format, your written content would need to be exceptional to compete with forums, Instagram, and Flickr, however. Once again, I will assume you have exceptional writing and photography skills. Good video though might have a reasonable chance in this very active niche market.

I look forward to following your progress and applaud your idea.