1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Flea Market find

sbl212 Nov 6, 2010

1. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I watched my father use the double edged safety razor (Gillette or Schick... not sure) and not once did I see him nick his face! :ssmile: The first time I used it, I sliced a hunk of skin off my chin! I'll have to check... that razor may still be in the linen hall closet gathering dust! :devil1:

2. captainblowhole

captainblowhole Captain Coconut

Mostly I don't get a cut, but it happens and its no biggie to me. The shave is worth it and it stops fast with an alum bar I have. I won't go back to disposables. I have watched many instructional videos on youtube and they do help a lot. The best advice is to go slow with almost no downward pressure. You'll see that the razor is heavy and that weight is enough. Also, never drag it sideways! I have found that stores that cater to hispanics will have some of these supplies for some reason, like blades I mean.
    Badger and blade has a message board as well on it.
    The straight razor I also use is from Feather and I shave my head with it! Its amazing but you have to be careful and use logic. Watch video instructionals.

3. GODDESS OF VENGEANCE

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE Crazy Bitch Lady Devil Super Moderator

how much does that razor weigh?:ross:

razor's today aren't made like back then that's for sure!....:ross:

4. ffemtNY

ffemtNY Huge member

If your interested in trying wet shaving, west coast shaving is good for blades and everything else. Ebay is also good. After trying many different blades I'm a big fan of Israeli Personna's. Great bang for the buck (about .10 a blade last time I placed an order) but every face is different so what may work for me , might not for you and vice versa. Badger and Blade is a good site to check out, pretty much an encyclopedia of shaving knowledge and good bunch of guys(and a few gals to boot).

5. aus71383

aus71383 Huge member

I've gotten blades from westcoastshaving and some other shop I don't recall at the moment - just to try different kinds. Some are definitely better than others. I liked Derbys and Feathers the best, but the blades I use now (10/$1) I get on my local military base in the hygiene section.

Austin

6. hankster

hankster Brigade Member Brigade Member

Check Wally World . They sell Wilkinson's out here .Under a couple bucks for 10.

7. RazorSharp

RazorSharp RZRSHRPDVL Brigade Member

We use to have a couple of those kicking around the house when I was a kid, bet they ended up in the garbage when my parent's moved to town.

8. captainblowhole

The safety razor I have is from Edwin Jagger. Its a basic model, and I spent $30 on it. I wanted to try a high end one and bought a $80 one from them and didn't like it. I sold it on ebay. The basic model works great for me. It has a faux ivory handle. Fit and finish and build quality is superb. I may try those personna blades, but I got a large amount of the Feather blades.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010
  9. RoadFish

RoadFish Cathar Knight

When I was in the service, the base barber shop offered straight razor shaves. I tried one once. The guy cut the shit out of me and suggested that I never ask for a shave like that again. Something about tough beard and sensitive skin.

10. captainblowhole

I find with either the safety razor of the straight razor that a shave lasts me 2 days and I have a medium beard growth. On the weekends I shave both days, and during the week, every other day, unless I have some kind of reason for a super smooth face.

11. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I just finished up cleaning out lots of junk in the linen closet and found that ol' double edged safety razor plus some others collecting dust. :ssmile: I was recently talked into getting this electric razor...

[​IMG]

...but this Gillette 2 bladed Sensor is the one I've used the longest 'cause it gives me a 'close' shave...

[​IMG]

If anyone 'collects' razors and wants these, pay for the shipping and they are yours. :ssmile:

[​IMG]

The blade head is missing from this one... didn't find it in the closet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. cornnutt

cornnutt Knife Junkie Brigade Member

Cool find

13. kayakjax

kayakjax Deep & Wide Brigade Member

I shaved with my dad's old safety razor in high school, but got away from it, as I fell for the "more and more blades" marketing gimmicks.

In the last year or so, I've been buying old safety razors (mostly from ebay), and using them. It takes a little more attention than a Mach 3, but the shave is pretty good.

My local Wally World has the Wilkenson blades 10 for $1.86.

I still go to ebay to check out the razors.

It's a cheaper hobby than knives so far, but I keep looking at some of the higher end stuff. (I'm weak when it comes to sharp, old and cool.)

I inherited an old straight razor from my grand dad, but never had the balls to actually try to use it; figure I'd slice my throat off.

14. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

sbl212, Hope you don't mind me posting this here but seemed a fitting thread.

The wife dragged my ass to yard sales today.

I was looking through this odd box of stuff and came across this small green box.

[​IMG]

Not sure of that maker mark on the bottom, so took this pic of that side.

Then I popped open the lid and low and behold this is what I see:

[​IMG]

A brass object. I was unsure it was a razor at this point, tumbled the parts into my hand , yup sure is !

[​IMG]

Assembled :

[​IMG]

Asking price : $2.50 glad to pay it, gave them $3.00 , and wished them a Happy Holiday season .

I will be yard sale-ing more often. :semper:

15. kayakjax

Glenn, that's a nice little travel razor you picked up!

And the price certainly was right.

I have no idea what the SB on the box is, or if it's even the box for the razor. Does the razor have any markings on it at all?

And to the OP:

sbl212, is there a letter and number on the bottom of your razor?

Gillette usually put a date code on their razors. The letter is the year, and the number is the quarter in the year.

They started it pretty consistently in 1930. Before that, the numbers varied some, and from 1930 to about 1950, they didn't always stamp the number. In 1951, they began again with "W" and the quarter #.

In 1955, they started with "A" again. (Also again in 1980. I'm not sure if the new stuff has the code, but I'm pretty sure they did it up til at least 2000 or so.)

I was born in September 1957, so a Gillette razor "born" the same quarter as me would have "C 3" on it somewhere.

16. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Jackie. Not a mark on it. It may not be the right box don't know ,the inners of the plastic box seem to show scuff marks as it was stored in there a very long time.

Anyway glad to have it . :devil1:

17. kayakjax

Did a quick google search for SB razors and didn't come up with anything.

My google-foo is weak....

18. sbl212

sbl212 The Cool Kid

Great find!

19. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Google is so yesterday

Bing, baby!

First try!

:link:

20. stoneman

stoneman Stoney Devil