1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Flea Market find

sbl212 Nov 6, 2010

1. sbl212

sbl212 The Cool Kid

Went to the Flea Market today, There seems to be less interesting antique/unique stuff but more of hats/clothing and cellphone accessories there ....sad..

But I did find an old Gillette Razor for $4 :devil1:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fkasbar

fkasbar Huge member

Imagine the commercial for that thing back in the day...:ross:
    Neat find!

3. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

Is that one of those old ones that vibrates/winds up?

obi

4. sbl212

sbl212 The Cool Kid

nope

5. Lon Humphrey

Lon Humphrey Moderator Knife Maker or Craftsman

i can remember dad using one just like that

6. hankster

hankster Brigade Member Brigade Member

I use that same razor to shave with .

7. Piet.S

Piet.S knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Me too, and I hated it.
    They called it a safety razor for god knows why.
    OK, you couldn't cut your throat with it but it sure could make you bleed.

8. longbow

longbow scratch n sniffer

I use a very old Gillette Aritstocrat gold colored razor to shave with. Works good too. It ain't the razor that causes the burn it is the shaving cream. I use Cremo Cream, yep that is the name and it comes in a tube that makes it look like toothpaste. Yep again my youngest checked it out for toothpaste when I first got it. Anyways it is far and away the BEST shaving cream I have ever used bar none. No razor burn, bumps, etc.etc. Smoothest shave I've ever had too. But now I have a beard again so it don't matter. keepem sharp

9. hankster

hankster Brigade Member Brigade Member

I've been using it now for over a year . Ditched the disposables and now just change blades about once a week. I use shaving soap and a brush. Works great . Wish I'd switched years ago.

10. dillard1

dillard1 Righteous One

My Dad used these all of the time and I kinda felt sorry for him when I use to see him bleeding and was too young to understand why he had all this toilet paper stuck to his face....:bwah::bwah:

This thing is worth a little more than the $4.00 though.......:madaddy:

11. Carny

Carny Little member

why

just curious why you would buy an old rusty razor?
    not being a smart ass,just puzzled.
    David.

12. *THE PUNISHER*

*THE PUNISHER* ridge runner

okay my dad shaved with one of thoses,do they give a good shave?

13. sbl212

sbl212 The Cool Kid

it's actually in better shape than in the pic.
    I'm not going to use it, just thought it was "neat"
    Even if I did want to use it I can switch out the blade for a new one that's not rusty.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2010
  14. aus71383

aus71383 Huge member

Nice find - that's a good deal at $4 you can clean it up easily and use it if you want to.

I also shave with a DE razor - they don't cut you anymore than disposable/Gillette/Schick/whatever do in my experience. I hated paying $20 for a package of 8 blades or whatever it is for the Gillette razors, especially when they are dull after a week anyhow. So I got the DE and now I pay $1.00 for a pack of 10 blades. I change the blade once a week so it has saved my lots of knife/gun/etc money over the past few years.

Thanks for sharing the picture, enjoy.

Austin

15. aus71383

aus71383 Huge member

Oh and they do give a good shave. Some are adjustable as to the harshness of the shave - making a bigger or smaller gap between where the blade is and the guard to allow more slop in the angle you hold the razor makes it faster to shave with but easier to cut yourself.
    Most razors are not adjustable and they shave well. My face appreciates it - only 1 blade shaving my face means if I miss a spot and go over it again, I've only scraped a razor across my face twice. Where with the Gillette 5 bladed things my face was always raw.

Austin

16. ffemtNY

ffemtNY Huge member

Good find, a little work with a toothbrush and some scrubbing bubbles and that Superspeed of yours should shine.

17. sbl212

sbl212 The Cool Kid

just curious where do you get your blades? I didn't know they sell them anymore

18. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

Damnit , Hank .... I like your style.
    I had one from my Grandfather that was stolen , now I am using one from ???
    Probably was my Dad's as it was laying around the house in a junk drawer.
    Blades are the hard part.........I scored some Wilkinson's while in England that are great , but I only have a few of those left.
    And I don't remember seeing them in any local drug stores for ages.
    They will deliver a clean shave though.
    I have gotten into collecting straight razors lately...........I will not be using one of them for shaving though.:bwah:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2010
  19. captainblowhole

captainblowhole Captain Coconut

I bought a safety razor a few months ago from an English firm, and I use Japanese Feather blades. I got a Tweezerman brush and use Prorasso saving cream. Ive gotten the best shaves Ive ever had in my life with this type of razor and yes, it takes time and you can get cut, but it is very satisfying and a personal respect ritual where you pamper yourself. Its "me time" when I do it and it gives me a nice feeling of self worth and respect. Plus, its an art and you get a super smooth shave out of it.

I went and got a straight razor to shave with after seeing this video, and it has a lot of parallels as a knife enthusiast as well.

[YOUTUBE]mK3I1utxgNM?fs=[/YOUTUBE]

Then, check this chick out..

[YOUTUBE]DjvbysX9NqY?fs=[/YOUTUBE]

20. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

I must be doing it wrong.
    I rarely cut myself , I use canned shave cream if I want to get that " I'm stepping out " shave ...........otherwise I John Wayne the fucking whiskers off.
    Fresh out of the shower , with hot water and no soap.
    I have viewed shaving as a pain in the ass since I have had whiskers , though I would like to sit back and let a pro take a straight razor to my jib.
    Now that would be pampering myself..........so it will probably never happen.:bwah::bwah: