1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed Vs folders

Once and Always Aug 8, 2007

1. Once and Always

Once and Always Huge member

I've noticed that quite a few posters have gigantic fixed blades. No problemo. However I cannot walk around with a 11" blade and prefer folders that conceal well from sheeple. Tell me what you do with these blades.

2. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Hard to conceal, eh? I dont really carry any giant fixed blades myself. In Texas it is probably legal.:firedevil

3. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

Great for camping and hunting and chopping and.....Showin off:manganr:

4. mfaster7

mfaster7 aspiring sheathmaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I usually use them to cut stuff

5. mack1

mack1 Resident Bastid

SOG Pentagon has a 5" blade, and I really don't consider that "long", but some people do. I, also, carry the Pentagon Elite folder.

Sometimes ya just want the "strength" of a Fixed Blade!:jdwink2::mack::mack::ropeman:

6. Boogerball

Boogerball My posse's on Broadway Brigade Member

threaten people, an make em do what i tell em to do... LOL

7. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter Huge member

Fixed Versus Folder...

My Dear Friends,

I have pondered this same condition for some time and have a few thoughts that might prove informative.

I generally do not carry fixed blades, mainly because they are frequently exponentially more difficult to carry comfortably than a folder, as well as being much more likely to attract unwanted attention from law enforcement, at least in my jurisdiction.

Folders are also a compromise - lighter weight, easier to carry, and substantially less likely to annoy LEOs, but generally lacking the heft and strength of a fixed blade knife.

I might mention that with the advent of newer locking mechanisms such as the Spyderco Compression Lock and Spyderco Ball Lock it is almost possible to approximate the strength of a fixed blade in a folding knife.

The key word here is "approximate".

I have never been in the position of having to actually USE a fixed blade and wishing for a folding knife. I can recall a few occasions, however, where I genuinely would have preferred the greater blade length, strength, and leverage of a fixed blade, instead of the lightweight folder that I was carrying at the time.

Of course, I feel the same way about a serrated (Spyderedge) blade as opposed to a plainedge blade. I have never been using an SE blade and wishing for a PE...

I still carry a folder 99%+ of the time due to ease of carry and legal restrictions. Still, you can bet that there will be a larger fixed blade within arms' reach (but out of sight) most of the time in my car or desk... :manganr:

YMMV.

--------
    Hannibal

8. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

If I'm in the bush, it's fixed blade all the way.

I'd like to carry one around town but ... just don't think it will go over well.

9. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

I always carry a small fixed blade and a small folder.

Both are out of sight and It gives me the instant choice.

10. The General

The General The Devil's General Brigade Member

GREAT to have you here MR Lecter!:jdwink2:

Large blade is a good cover all knife where it can do the work of an axe but at the same time is a knife... you know what I mean!

Try using an axe as a bushcraft knife and its a right pain. A large knife is a bit tricky with the fine detail stuff but I have made it work in the past.:wes:

Better to have a knife that does everything acceptably well than a knife or an axe that does a few things really well and nothing else well at all.

Of course the ideal is to have a mix.

11. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

Everyday I carry a small Schrade stockman and a small Leatherman 'Squirt'. Usually on weekends I'll include a Buck 110. I have carried a small Winston or e3ck fixed blade on ocassion. As a kid trapping I edc'd a 10" fixed blade constantly. Even used to haul around a 27" machete back then. Don't think I'd get to the end of the driveway if I tried walking around with it nowadays! :bwah:

12. Thermobaric

Thermobaric Huge member

The large (8"+) fixed blades I have, I carry when hunting or camping. They're not my primary use blade as most chores are handled with aplomb by whichever folder I carry. Those large blades are "in case" knives. They are knives I would use to harvest saplings or limbs from larger trees if I needed shelter. They are what I would use to chop firewood into portable pieces if I needed to. A large knife can not only replace an axe or hatchet in a survival situation, but can outperform either in many situations. You're not going to fell a 30-foot tree with a knife, but you can certainly fell a 10-foot one. If you get stuck in the woods, which are you more likely going to have to do?
    There just isn't much out there that can compare to a well designed 10" camp knife for survival or outdoor living.

13. harm

harm knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

i carry a BM Skirmish and a couple other folders as well as 1 of my shark models [D'Urban Shark,10 in oal].my CZ75 and a couple spare mags and an ASP are also part of my edc.i dont have a problem because i give a shit about a sheeple.i'm 6'3" and no matter what i carry i'll still get the sideways looks so i say fuck em.
    a pal of mine is a proponent of the bowie as a fighting knife and carries on a daily basis either of the following,Ontario Hell's Belle, CS Laredo, CS Natchez or a 1 of a few custom bowies [blades from 9 - 11 in] or sometimes a CS Black bear.all the sheaths are just tucked into his belt.and he's about 5'9"

14. Willieboy

Willieboy Huge member

When I moved to Texas in 1985, it was legal to drink and drive. (No joke.) There was some disagreement, however, as to the legality of drinking while shooting. Everyone agreed it was unwise, though possibly legal, to drink, drive, and shoot.

15. Rat Finkenstein

Rat Finkenstein Finkenstein shit kid Brigade Member

Texas Restricts blade length to something like 5 or 5.5". . . I can legally carry most anything I want here, except switchblades. :G3:

I usually carry the fixed blade(s) in my bag, and keep a folder or pocket-sized fixed blade, in the pocket.

16. silenthunterstudios

silenthunterstudios The Jello Gigolo

Started carrying fixed blades on me, small ones, under 4". The only big blades I have are my Battle Rat, and I use that for clearing in the back yard. Camp Tramp is about as big as I go for camping.

17. Nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar Protagonist

Yep 5.5inch blade max. No double edges or auto openers other than that you're good to go.

I carry a smallish BM 707 in D2 folder for EDC and my Busse Badger Attack Tac LE is my new hiking/camp blade.

18. Simms65

Simms65 Property of Jilly

I usually havet at least one of each on me at any given time... why wonder when you can have the choice? :jdsmokin:

19. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

Hopefully I can edc my JD fixed blade and a folder soon!:devilinheaven:

I still just use my big fixed blades to hold up my knife display box!:cheesydevil:

20. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

i love big fix blades but only when i am upstate and i can carry them or for camping, other than that fix blades have to be for work big time users, i have both and i carry folders for everyday.