1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Fixed blade for carry recommendation

Travis B. May 18, 2016

1. Travis B.

Travis B. Southern Devil

I'm on the look out for a fixed blade to carry. I also carry a folder that will do the slicing so the fixed blade is for harder / more serious use. So Id like to stay away from hollow ground blades. Blade length isn't that important as handle. I like to get a full grip on it. Also I'd like to either get a skelontinized handle or at least be able to take the handles off to make it thinner for concealment. Also needs a decent Kydex sheath no leather.

Been looking at the BM adamas but wish the spine wasn't serrated. and the BM hidden creek seems perfect. Also looking at strider db but they might be too thick to actually cut with. Some tips knives look like they might be ok too. I really like the hinderer fieldtac and Peter carrey but too $$$
    Like to stay under $150. It's a picky list I know. I'm sure that's why I'm having a hard time.

2. Spade115

Spade115 Huge member

Anything in particular style wise? Texas bowie, fighting (finger grooved) western, ect?

I used to carry a Western style winchester brand fixed that was skeletonized and had some bice wood handles nothing fancy but worked.

3. Travis B.

Travis B. Southern Devil

Not to much a Bowie fan. I'm looking for something with a tougher tip. I'll post pics of the ones I mentioned that I like.

4. Travis B.

Travis B. Southern Devil

This BM fits the bill but might be a little too big and id rather not have the sharpened spine.
    [​IMG]

I like this hinderer a lot. Perfect size and has a thin handle. Just too $$$
    [​IMG]
    Also really like the Carey but hard to find and $$$
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
  5. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

Dude....this is so easy.

Izula II and a some TKC G-10 scales.

IMO, this is the only good knife that ESEE makes.....and it's REALLY GOOD.

I've made a lot of Believers.

The nice thing about these (I mean BESIDES the wonderful ergonomics and usefulness of this design/size) is that if you use the original type plastic sheath, it will slip into your front pants pocket and live there with you hardly noticing it (no Tek-lok or G-Clip, of course).

On your belt, I'd recommend a thick leather loop for horizontal carry or a longer nylon/Cordura loop to work as a "dangler" for vertical carry.

Trust me on this.

Regardless of price, this is one of THE most comfortable fixed blades for every day and everything.

Try one and you will believe.

:thumbsup:

SlightChance and Travis B. like this.
  6. Travis B.

Travis B. Southern Devil

Yea I've been looking at that and the hest too. The sheath looks cheesy but I'm sure there are plenty of people that make Kydex ones for it.

7. OnceBitten

That plastic sheath that the Izula comes with is superior to most Kydex sheaths.

Try it. I dare you.

You will be pleasantly surprised.

8. OnceBitten

If you need something larger on that budget:

DPx HEFT 4 in Niolox

9. coinbuysell

coinbuysell Brigade Member Brigade Member

TOPS makes some nice skeletonized smaller knives as does BlackJack, both in 1095 and 154 cm, but some of the best are the Ka-Bar BK14 Eskabar available in either 1095 or D2.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2016
  10. Travis B.

Travis B. Southern Devil

I'm really liking the BM hidden creek hunter. Fits my requirements. But it's s30v. I'm a little concerned it might be too brittle. I wish they would offer it in 1095 so you could really beat the shit out of it. Probably be cheaper too. But BM will replace the whole blade if needed for $25 or $35.
    [​IMG]

Also liking the eskabar and Izula II. I wish the Tops msk had a little larger handle. I'd be all over that.

11. Spade115

Spade115 Huge member

12. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

I rotate a few fixed-blade EDC's.

Favorites to date:

Shawn Knowles Bantam.

Bark River Essential.

crogers likes this.
  13. Travis B.

Travis B. Southern Devil

Not really a fan of either and they are over my budget.

14. FlyGuy

FlyGuy Brigade Member JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Picked one of these up at BLADE and love it. I just need to figure out a more comfortable way to carry it.

15. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Little member

Travis B. did you decide on a fixed blade? I carry an Evans Knife and Tool Companion daily, but that will probably change to a Busse Active Duty once by Buy Brown sheath arrives.