1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

First Time AK47 owner

CDR_Glock Jan 17, 2017

1. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Bali Demon JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I have always had AR-15 type rifles. Never had an AK, except for the Saiga 12 and VEPR 12.

I traded for a Romanian SAR-1. It has a threaded barrel, I think. My friend put a Tapco trigger into it.

So what type of muzzle break or flash suppressor do you recommend?

There is a scope mount on the side, what type of mount do you recommend for stability?

So I read these are only good for 5000 rounds? How do I get the barrel changed at the end of its life. Are there aftermarket barrel replacements?

Thank you for any advice.

exile82187, begreen61 and XxGRYMMxX like this.
  2. XxGRYMMxX

XxGRYMMxX The Crayola Kid JDBA Official Member

dunno about the romainian SARs but my AK had a chrome lined barrel that was supposed to be good for 30k+. I miss that rifle....

begreen61 likes this.
  3. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

slant brake.... anything else is bubba....

...and 5k seems really low.... i'd research that claim.

begreen61 likes this.
  4. Sheldon_Wickersham

Sheldon_Wickersham Blue Star Knives Knife Maker or Craftsman

^ Correct on both counts.

begreen61 likes this.
  5. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

Congrats!! I too have a SAR 1 ... got it bout 10 years ago but mine has a non-threaded barrel. You had better add another 0 to your life expectancy round count... yours has a chrome lined bore doesn't it? Don't worry...you wont need a new barrel....ever.
    Look into a RS Regulate side mount system for an optic... bit pricey but worth every penny! Got mine from Atlantic Arms as a combo with the Primary Arms micro red dot.

begreen61 likes this.
  6. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Congrats on owning the best running rifle erve made . FYI the barrel will out last you .

7. exile82187

exile82187 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I believe the barrels are press fitted (not sure if thats the right term but if you youtube barrel replacement on ak I am sure they have some), but like it was stated they are good for a lot of rounds just be sure you watch for corrosion. :thumbsup:

8. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

My Arsenal came with the AK74 type muzzle brake. VERY effective and sexy looking, IMO.

9. sam eib

sam eib Average Member

Just shoot the corrosion out of it, that gun should last longer than you do.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  10. Tony8179

Tony8179 Bone For Tuna Brigade Member

If you decided to shoot 5000 rounds continuously then you may run into some accuracy issues. Other than that, the barrel should be just fine.