1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

First Straight Razor

Dwane Oliver Dec 30, 2010

1. Dwane Oliver

Dwane Oliver knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I was going to get a new tattoo , I needed a nice razor to shave with , so I made this one. It shaves like a dream , even used it on my face yesterday morning.
    Ground on a 10" wheel.
    Short 2.5" blade from Arduous Damascus
    Handles are red/black .125 micarta
    Brass pins and a amboya spacer

I think it turned out great , let me know what you'all think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rio likes this.
  2. cardoso5fr

cardoso5fr knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

It's very nice, but how did you honned the blade???? It's seem to have a secondary bevel and on a straight razor normaly the edge is done by the angle of the back of the blade flat on the stone.

3. Dwane Oliver

LOL , yea thats what I thought. I didnt have one to look at or touch. I got the edge real thin I thought , thinner than I would on a normal knife , but I guess not thin enough. It sharpened real nice and stropped it with a leather stropp , man it IS razor sharp too.

I'll do better on the next on I promise.

4. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

man that is a master piece , the question is , is it sharp and will it stay that way:devil1::madaddy: a video of you shaving would be nice:bwah:

5. shakie

shakie knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Like it! Real clean..

6. cardoso5fr

cardoso5fr knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

That is not lost ;), the aim is to have something able to shave.
    There is for me some work to do to obtain an efficient straight razor :D

http://www.straightrazorplace.com/s..._Great_Straight_Info_Razor_Central_Manual.pdf

You will find everything you need to know about straight razor making and using :D

I only succeed to make 2 efficient straight razor. I tried to do some before to have use a real one. I will do another try now because after more or less 1,5 year to use some razor, and after to have honned 12 old piece. I think i know better the topic.

To sharpen the straight razor, i use 1000-3000-12000 stone, red compound, green compound (0,5 micron) and naked leather :D. The straight razor need to cut a hair you hold between two finger.

Make a small search on yt with "hanging hair test ;))".

before to succeed to that test, avoid to shave you with the razor... That would be not a very great experience:bwah:

Another point, as you did, on the straight razor i did, i did a short tail... On an industrial one, that is a bit longer and for a daily use, that is easier ;).

7. stanlyonjr

stanlyonjr Huge member

Usually when sharpening straight razors you put a piece of black electrical on the back of the blade. It add just a hair of lift for the edge angle. You hone it accordingly usually replacing the tape when you change stones. When it comes to the stropping part you remove the tape. If you wanted a secondary bevel you usually add an extra two to three layers of tape and hone on your finest stone (say a 16000 Shapton). That puts a nasty edge!!

Stan

8. Dwane Oliver

Thanks for the pointers guys , I'll give them a shot.

9. Uz4u

Uz4u Misanthrope

fuckin ssiiiiicckk :devilzeek

10. Scottn

Scottn Huge member

I need one... That is how it turned out!!! :devilzeek

Awesome work!!!

11. Napo619

Napo619 Huge member

WOW!!!... This came out Beautifully...

12. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

Very nice. Wouldn't feel bad about cutting myself with that....

13. Chris Martin

Chris Martin phantom devil Knife Maker or Craftsman

Now that......is SICK.

Think I have another to gets on my list.

Very slick razor bro!

C

14. Dwane Oliver

WOW , thanks alot fellas :shockedevil:

15. Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones CKCA

Seems straight razors are making a come-back and no wonder considering examples such as this. Really like it.

16. L R Harner

L R Harner They call me "Butch" Knife Maker or Craftsman

you want the edge thickness to be under.005 inch
    also you need to make sure that the spine is the right thickness to the hight of the grind to make the angle proper

the tape on the spin is often used to "fix" a razor that has a spine thats too thin
    the other side to that is for me i use one layer of tape to set the bevels for shipping cause most buyers want a clean spine (they can then tape or not next hone depending on what they like )

also dammy blades are often taped jsut to protect the pattern

17. Dwane Oliver

Thanks Butch , thats alot more info than my pea brain can explore right now, but I will keep it in mind on the next one.

18. captainblowhole

captainblowhole Captain Coconut

That's a real beauty! Would you ever consider making a Japanese style non folding straight razor?

19. Capt Spaulding

Capt Spaulding Average member

Some old straight razors have the front of the bottom edge rounded off, the result being less of a chance of nicking yourself.

20. Dwane Oliver

Actually that was the next one on my list of "fun" things to make.

AHHH thats why they are like that , good point , thanks