1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

First knife! Help!?

Darel May 24, 2019

1. Darel

Darel Tiny Member

hey everyone, I spent the better part of the week making my first knife! (Im way more amped than my wife is about it)I have a pretty serious lack of tools but I dont mind putting in the extra work. It’s full tang, I used 1095 steel and just finished tempering, I spent a lot of time makmade a wood handle for it but I’m concerned it’s too thin and will crack, is there any way to prevent this or to reinforce the wood? Or any other tips on handles, I’m considering paracord but I just love the way the wood looks and feels. Any advice is much appreciated.

Jim L. likes this.
  2. jimmyjo

jimmyjo Brigade Member Brigade Member

Show a picture. You can always remove your handle and make a new one. Wrap is just polishing a turd trying to hide it. It all depends on if you want to save your time invested on the blade or call it a learning experience.

Jim L. likes this.
  3. ScottMTopper

ScottMTopper Tiny Member

Hey Darel, look into a 2 part resin called Max CLR. I have features on my scales that are as thin as .020", I rough them leaving about .010" extra stock then coat them with the resin. As it sits for the 24 hour cure time it soaks in, essentially leaving you with "stabilized wood". There are vids on utube showing the impact resistance of the resin if you need more info. The boxes I make for my knives are walnut which doesn't accept the fine detail of my engravings very well so I coat them with the CLR after roughing, right before the engraving cycle. No fiber tear out or missing features and it mills like delrin. They sell small batch bottles so no big investment to experiment with it. In your case just paint it on, wait a few hours until it absorbs and wipe off the excess. The result will be an abrasive and impact resistant, clear plasticized wood. Good luck to you.

PS. If you oiled or coated the wood already then you may be S O L since the resin will not penetrate into the wood.

Cbrandt and BennytheBlade like this.
  4. Cbrandt

Cbrandt Little Member

You could also try wood stabilizer.
    But if you're using a good hard wood you should be fine.
    Post some pics!