1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

First balisong

Tomasko45 Apr 5, 2019

1. Tomasko45

Tomasko45 Tiny Member

Good morning all,
    I'm looking Into getting my first balisong. I've read many reviews amongst the top contenders. I'm a huge fan of benchmade and have been looking at the bm 51. I've also been very interested in the barebones or wondering if I should just save for an alpha beast. This is my last purchase "for myself" before my son is born. I have always liked and carried a heavier knife, which is why I've been leaning toward the brs knives. For one, the craftsmanship is amazing. I'm looking for something durable that I can also use as an EDC. I know the morpho has the smaller size factor, but like I said I dont mind a larger heavier knife. Any suggestions on other brands/models would be greatly appreciated. This may have been posted about before and I've read previous forums where the bm 51 was suggested, however weight and size aren't an issue here.

Thank you ahead of time!!
    -Bryan Tomasko

chutcher likes this.
  2. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Benchmade 62 or 63.

- Benchmade...check
    - Heavier knife...check
    - Craftsmanship...check
    - Durable...check
    - Good EDC...check
    - Pricing...expensive (but so is everything else)

***The BM51 might be too light for your liking (I love it but it does feel like a toy)

Turkeytooth likes this.
  3. Turkeytooth

Turkeytooth JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

:iagree:

4. Burnt Reynolds

Burnt Reynolds JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Are you looking to learn the art of flipping? If yes, the BRS barebones is better for you. Benchmade 6x series are donkey balls for flipping, unless you plan on treating yourself to one more purchase - aftermarket titanium handles.

5. Tomasko45

Tomasko45 Tiny Member

Sorry I should have clarified that. Yeah I definitely wanted to get into flipping with something that's also durable enough to hold up as an EDC.

6. Bboy

Bboy Huge member

DO NOT GET A 6X KNIFE IF YOU WANT TO FLIP. The barebones is a great start, and probably the best beginner on the market, but for edc, the handles are pretty thin, and the blade is very thin as well. I'd recommend a brs premium replicant, since it comes with a pocket clip, and the latch gets in the way less while flipping. Or a 51 with titanium scales. It makes it an acceptable flipper, and you won't find a better edc balisong that can still flip

7. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Well now I look like an ass for suggesting the BM6x. Think man! Think!

This is why I don't like helping people.

***Yeah, get the BRS then

Turkeytooth likes this.
  8. Tomasko45

Tomasko45 Tiny Member

Loll my fault, thanks for your help though

9. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Alpha Beast if you can. Great flipper (one of the best), built like a tank, and good blade.
    Be warned... baby or no baby, you cannot stop at just one bali after you get your first quality one.

My ranking would be...
    1. AB
    2. Barebones
    3. 51

However, if you really like Benchmades then maybe you should consider something like a 62, then get some aftermarket ti scales. A flyti 62 is smaller than an AB but still a really good flipper.

10. Tomasko45

Tomasko45 Tiny Member

Do you think i would get any bites on WTT forum for this? I have a bm barrage in m390 and a BM saddle mountain skinner in s30v that was only ever used once I'd be willing to trade for a used first bali.

11. Blurred Memories

Blurred Memories Little Member

hom spectre

12. subtlemovement

subtlemovement JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

BRS just had an alpha beast drop on Friday, so there's probably plenty up for sale on the secondary market now. I would definitely go that route. The alpha beast is VERY nicely balanced. My first bali was a tach 3 and it taught be some bad habits I then had to break lol. AB is a perfect first knife but it's also expensive. The 51 is a great starter knife too, because since it's lighter, it won't cut you so deep when you're learning. The Barebones is kind of oddly thin, but gets top marks for durability. And congrats on your firstborn!!!

13. mike_geno

mike_geno Huge member JDBA Official Member

No love for the 87 around here :pugalist:
    I would get a Rep or AB...
    but I too love my 51.

14. skyblue

skyblue JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Get an AB and be done with it.

15. Tomasko45

Tomasko45 Tiny Member

It's just the brs knives are never available. I'd love go for a standard AB for 370 or even a barebones to EDC and flip but I might end up just getting a 51, just because I don't have the time to hunt one down. I appreciate all the input though, you guys have been a great help. At this point I need to just pick one and be done with and accept the fact that I'll end up getting another at some point lol. Perfect world I'd pull the trigger on an AB, they're just never available and I dont have the time to hunt one down for a decent price. I missed the last drop

16. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

There is almost always an AB available at a fair price.

17. skyblue

skyblue JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Best of luck!

seandavid55 likes this.
  18. Turkeytooth

Turkeytooth JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Oh you'll end up getting another one, and another one, and another one, and...

19. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

If you decide on a 51 then be aware that flytanium will be dropping ti scales in a week or so. They will go fast, so if you are interested then you should go to their site and sign up for the alert. They are a vast improvement over a stock 51.

20. bruzanHD

bruzanHD Huge member

Do yourself a favour and get a replicant. It will be a better flipper if you choose to flip more, and a great quality tool, and cheaper than an AB. Also, BRS products hold their value more than benchmades do (save for 4X series) so if you decide balisongs aren’t for you, most of the funds will be recouped
    Glhf