1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

First bali - couple of q's - twist vs b200

garrim Jan 20, 2015

1. Area965

Area965 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

BM 51 is a great bali for both EDC and learning to flip in original form.

I got one for $140 with the G10 scales still in great condition (under your budget), but you have to look hard. Mine was used but not abused. I had plan to put Ti scales on, which I did and basically redo the entire knife except the liners.

If you are handy, you could make it beautiful again with some work.

[​IMG]

2. garrim

garrim Average member

Looks great!

I'm prepared to spend the $230 on a new one, it will just take a little longer. It seems the used ones get snatched up real quick, though I will definitely be hawking the for sale section when I'm ready to buy. Anybody know where they can be had for less than $230 new by chance?

3. pyrotech25

pyrotech25 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Your Twist is in the mail.

Enjoy Mike!

Cpfrombv, MostHaggard and Dead-On like this.
  4. Dead-On

Dead-On Grateful Member JDBA Official Member

Greens sent:thumbsup:

5. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Not sure who that guy was ? :ropeman:

But they were coated with CeraKote , had different spacers as well as washers.

Good on you Ben, this is yet another reason I love the Mighty JD. :thumbsup:

6. MostHaggard

MostHaggard JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

They are up almost every day in The VooDoo as well as on other forums for sale sections. Just yesterday someone put up a like like new 51 for $200 on bladeforums. You may have to hunt around for a couple days, but I say when you have around 180 to 200 start camping the knives for sale thread. You are bound to find one that is in your price range fairly quickly. Good luck and welcome to the hobby! :thumbsup:

7. Kezk

Kezk JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Id say step up to the plate and buy a bm 51. Unless u want to buy a knife that will fall apart on u or break then yea buy a twist:bwah:

8. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Bali Demon JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I've bought from Keywest Knifeworks before. I had no problems.

Balisongs are like Lays potato chips, in a way. You can't just own one.

I said I'd never buy another one, after getting 6. That was over 100+ knives ago.

9. sheneniganer

sheneniganer Grill Manager

You get

What you pay for. I would save up buy a Benchmade or a BRS.

10. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

^Wrong.^

You have done a great job as a new member with this thread. You did some research, and applied it to your thought process, THEN you posed your question. Well done- we don't get that much from new members here!:bwah::thumbsup:

However, one of the problems with new members processing input obtained from other members is that they haven't been around long enough to know who they are talking to. If PS-RagE gives his opinion on a knife, it is legit. He has one of the sickest collections you'll ever see and not only does he buy the Balis, he flips them too. Do some research and check out the pics of PART of his collection. You'll be amazed.

#understatement
    :bwah:

11. garrim

garrim Average member

This guy is incredible! Rep given. I seriously can't thank you enough. I will definitely enjoy it.

I didn't mean to disrespect PS-RagE or anything, I was sure at the time that he knows his stuff, and I still feel that way. I hope if I ever have questions he might chime in to offer some of his knowledge and experience.

I was just being honest though, and quite logical if you think about it. If you were looking at buying a Ford Fusion or Toyota Corolla and someone said they had a Toyota Camry but it broke down all the time so the Corolla must be shit too even though they've never even test drove it, would you just accept that because they've owned 100 cars (except the one in question)? I wouldn't, but that's me. I don't see how I was "wrong" in what I said, maybe a little offensive and I apologize if so, but certainly not wrong. Hopefully you can see where I was coming from now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
  12. VANELLI

VANELLI JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

He's right the Twist's guts will fall out, but, be warned so will the 51. Locktite, or they both fall apart within hours. One is way harder to assemble than the other...

13. garrim

garrim Average member

I just watched CalviNNation's 51 video talking about that, didn't realize the 51 would need it, knew about the Twist though. Interesting he said in the video his 42 never needed it in almost a year of flipping.

Which Loctite should I go for? Some said red is unnecessary, some of the blue requires primer. I have a small bottle of blue that was included for bolts on my motorcycle, should be good enough if it can withstand all that vibration I would think?

I'm going to guess the Twist is the one that is harder to assemble.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
  14. dmanvieth

dmanvieth Huge member

There is so many parts to a 51 that it is complicated as fuck to assemble it.

15. garrim

garrim Average member

Ah ok, makes sense. I'm pretty handy, not too worried about it.

16. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Yup... if you're a tard.

17. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

hahahahah :thumbsup:

18. jamex

jamex Organic Polygraph JDBA Official Member

paging timmay! :manganr:

19. garrim

garrim Average member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQTEtIfRmg8

Disassembly and reassembly seems pretty straightforward in this video (form a JD member to boot!), nothing too daunting for me.

Now I'm even more thankful for pyrotech25 sending me his Twist so I have something to play with while the Loctite dries on the BM51, surely an excruciating 24 hours.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015
  20. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

It's worth the wait to let it fully cure