1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Fat Lady Review

jjhamilton Apr 27, 2015

1. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Matt Cook is a magician, the man is a knife wizard....That's what I have heard from the first day I stepped into the balisong community. Well what can I say, the man is fucking Gandalf of the balisong! Anyone whom can take a 6oz balisong and make it flip like a 4oz one well, some dark magic may be involved!

Blade
    Fancy, no..unique, in style yes...sharp, very fucking sharp! Softly crowned and polished. Swedged but no horns. Let's touch on that style again. It's reminiscent of old school grinding, really nice and I found myself admiring it often. [​IMG]

Handles
    Everyone likes a thick Lady! The inserts have a nice pattern adding to the "old school style". Those thick Ti (2 peice) bolsters feature orange peel effect, some more of that character enhancing details I enjoyed. Flipping they are simply a pleasure. No rough edges, great radius...could flip for hours.
    [​IMG]

Bushings
    These bushings don't disappoint. Smooth as silk, top marks so far in my adventure in doing these reviews. Lots of hours spent in flipping this big girl, and not a single bit of handles play added. Currently a slight and I mean slight amount never increased and stayed super slick.
    [​IMG]

Spacers
    Big ones for this lady! And let me tell you, they are perfectly flush!!
    [​IMG]

Latch
    Angled similair to the AB, which makes sense considering Matt made the first AB! And it works like it should, never bothered me a bit.
    [​IMG]

Finish This Bitch Up
    I've been once again humbled by the chance to check out one of the hot balisongs. This one was a serious joy to me. It spoke to me in styling, something that really resonated. Flipping wise, seriously an amazing feat. This knife feels nothing like its weight suggest, and smoothly controllable. Twirling was easy enough due to the thick handles. Aerials were scary to me after I stabbed my hand. Matter of fact I got two seriously nasty cuts during The Fat Lady's visit, "Every Rose has her thorns!"
    I personally can't say this is a competition for me, even though the weight is well hidden, it's still there. I prefer quite lighter balisongs when getting serious. But I'd rock this Lady any day and she has shown me she is ready to go around the block anytime!

Side Note
    If you ever get a chance to speak with Matt do so. The man can rattle off more info about knife making and balisongs with numbers swirling around your head faster than your mind will ever comprehend. Get your thinking cap on and prepare to learn some shit!

Thank you Sage for the opportunity!!

kizuf, Coconutfilipino and 42flipper like this.
  2. M.Reno

M.Reno Cowboy JDBA Official Member

Dude!!! Dats Killer!

Awsome review! Seriously love that sexy bitch! What can I say I like thick!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2015
  3. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

nice:thumbsup:

4. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

JJ always gets the pretty girls :madaddy:

5. Wilson

Wilson JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Nice review!:thumbsup:

6. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

As the tic ally Im not a fan of the no horn look with that Bowie.

But Love... Loooove LOVE the fhm handles with dark inserts an bright Shiney bolsters.

Just think that it looks awesome when flipped in bright light with the bolsters flashing.

If I was getting a MC I'd get that but with some ears on the bowie. :ropeman:

7. Bali-man

Bali-man JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

That is beautiful very very beautiful!!!! And nice review:thumbsup:

8. dymond47

dymond47 Better than gold or platinum

Very nice,jj!

9. Silent Jay

Silent Jay Flips more than he speaks JDBA Official Member

Nice review JJ!

How do you feel about the inlays?

I hear mixed feedback on them honestly. I personally find them to be really grippy as fuck at times, but slippery as fuck at others.

10. Area965

Area965 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Nice review JJ.

It seems you like lighter balisongs. Would you get one if you get a chance?

I do find them to be slippery (most of the time), but this's just me. I do have very dry hands.

I think one of Matt's tricks to hide the weight is to have you breaking it in when you first got it (if you're the original owner) to get used to the knife and will not notice the weight much by the time it is swinging freely ready to flip. This is my theory anyway, :devilwag:

11. cardoso5fr

cardoso5fr knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Really great balisong with a bit of vintage look. great :D

12. Band-aid

Band-aid Stuck on 'em! JDBA Official Member

Great balisong......Great review. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

13. jjhamilton

Mostly they stay slick, which I like, I prefer slick handles to super grippy. I never felt they made it to grippy. It may depend on hand condition, my hands are dry.

I do prefer a lighter knife for the most part, especially when getting some serious flipping going. But I'd buy one of these in a heart beat if the timing was right. I got "used" to the weight fairly quickly, but it did take me a little time. Time that was increased due to some injuries during initial flipping. I stabbed my palm pretty deep which remained sore for some time, and right after that a botched cherry picker resulted in a pretty deep middle slice which slowed me down for a few days. The blade is super sharp! But yeah it really does speak to me even during flipping, like Buddha said, the black inserts with those shinny bolsters....you can't help loving her character.

14. Balisongdude

Balisongdude JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Damn, good review

15. Jvamis

Jvamis International Devil Welcome Squad Leader JDBA Official Member

A very interesting review that makes you want to try this balisong to look old school.:devilwag::devilwag:

Thank you for sharing.:thumbsup:

16. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

Great review JJ. I agree that this Bali is a very special piece, Matt does exceptional work.:thumbsup:

17. hAtty 42

hAtty 42 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Good review man! :thumbsup:

18. Pinoy Knife

Pinoy Knife JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

JJ thanks for the kind words,i hope everyone that has one of these is happy with them.

jjhamilton likes this.
  19. jjhamilton

Credit where credit is deserved my friend. Enjoyed the chance to see your work up close and having the opportunity to speak with you. A great person that makes great work. Thank You:thumbsup:

20. abqjoe

abqjoe JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

And just to add a little something to that statement, Matt's knives are still priced right too! One of the only builders out there who gives you more than what you pay for and makes customs that actually flip:) Beauty is only steel deep, but flipping is to the core!