1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Fallkniven F1

Jarlaxle Feb 18, 2008

1. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle frenchtickler

Who has an F1? what are your thoughts? is it worth the money? I have a RAT3 which i love and get a lot of use out of. Should i save my money and just stick with the RAT3? or should i go for the F1? thanks

2. Andy

Andy Mostly Harmless

love mine

It's taken a beating over the years and has been sharpened a fair bit. Many people find the handle on the standard one a bit thin though. It's my wet weather knife. The only bad things anyone has to say about it is the handle's a bit thin and the blade is a bit thick near the edge. I've found it to be one of the best knives to use with gloves if that's an issue for you.

3. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle frenchtickler

thanks for you thoughts. Doesnt the F1 have a convex edge? I hear great things about convex, but I will be using the knife as a camp knife and will only have a sharpmaker at my disposal. will the sharpmaker ruin the convex edge?

4. Andy

Andy Mostly Harmless

the F1 does have a convexgrind

I'm not sure if the sharpmaker will contact the edge, the F1 might have an edge greater then 40dgeree total. I think it should be ok though. If you touch up the edge on a sharpmaker it will make a slight difference buit I've often done it in the past when that's whatI had handy. If you do a sesson on the wet&dry for proper sharpening it will be fine.

5. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle frenchtickler

Bravo 1 or F1

which would be your choice?

6. dfarmerknives

dfarmerknives Tattoo Man says Knife Maker or Craftsman

I have an F1 and have taken it on many camping trips. I use it all the time and a piece of sandpaper and a chunk of mousepad is all I ever use in the field.

I do not have a RAT 3, but I will ALWAYS have a Fallkniven F1.

7. dfarmerknives

dfarmerknives Tattoo Man says Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hard decision, but I would have to pick the F1. Nothing against the Bravo 1 (awesome knife), rubber handles are easier in the wet (IMHO).

8. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle frenchtickler

Thanks, that would be a cheaper route too. I dont really like the stock sheaths the F1 comes with, but i saw some nice kydex on ebay with a firesteel loop.

9. Dr Mabuse

Dr Mabuse Set your motherfucker to "receive"

i have the black micarta F-1 also...

[​IMG]

i would recommend that one... little more money but i do prefer it...

the F-1 is a classic design... one of the better user fixed blades there is...

you might also look at the Northern Lights series NL-5...

[​IMG]

i love that knife... that Northern Lights line is top shelf knives...

10. mtnfolk mike

mtnfolk mike Archer-Leatherworker Knife Maker or Craftsman

i have an F1.. i love it.. it's a great all around field knife....:pumpkin:

i would go with the F1 for sure.. i had a rat 3 a while back and didn't care for it much...:deadevil: so i passed it on...

11. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle frenchtickler

does the micarta version have a portruding tang? I like the NL blade shape and handle but not the end cap. The micarta on the F1 looks really smooth, how grippy is it?

12. Dr Mabuse

Dr Mabuse Set your motherfucker to "receive"

it is a contoured handle... it fits the hand well... maybe not as 'grippy' as the thermorun... yes it is full tang... i prefer the micarta version...

that NL5 is a terrific knife... not sure what the end cap affects... but that is a fine knife... tang attaches to a spanner nut in end cap...

13. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle frenchtickler

I like to be able to hammer with the butt of the knife if need be. this will be a beater.