1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

European Adventure

PS-RagE Oct 7, 2015

1. Poolshark

Poolshark Captain America Brigade Member

Thanks for sharing your adventure.

2. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Finally made some time to finish processing the images!

So....

... from the Abbey of San Galgano we got back on the winding country roads and headed to the coastal town of Piombino . No more pictures but I did get some video.

At Piombino we head to the docks and purchase a pair of tickets on the "Moby Love":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ferry ride is about an hour and that is good since someone is due for a rest:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our destination is Elba Island. We are surprised to discover it is a beach resort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next day is another rest day and that turned out to be a good thing since I discover I have some work to take care of (:devilroll: business - no escaping it any more).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2015
  3. PS-RagE

Today is the last day of riding and completes the loop. Our plan is that once we are back on the mainland we will head again to the autostrada and beeline back to Florence. Although I had researched how the toll booths work, when we reach one its operation is far from clear and the instructions are in Italian (go figure). After much frustration we get past the damned thing and back to the sideroads.

By mid-afternoon we are through the Firenze traffic and back to the Hotel Londra. After eight days on the road my wife is glad to get off:
    [​IMG]

With a day and a half before the flight home we have a little time to further explore Florence and do some shopping.

Afternoon snack:
    [​IMG]

Spent quite a bit of time in and around the duomo.

A few images inside (difficult to get pics without tourists in the frame!):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The painting on the top of the dome is unreal. Unfortunately, all I had at the time was a wide-angle or I would have zoomed in on some of the scenes. The bottom portrays hell and is macabre to say the least. As you move towards the top of the dome the scene becomes heavenly:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The crypts:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Balis

Balis Huge member

Wow looks like a lot of fun and a lot history:devilzeek Hope you enjoyed the trip!

5. PS-RagE

Panorama of the city from the top of the dome:
    [​IMG]

Climbing up was tiring but going back down is plain scary!
    [​IMG]

Outside of the duomo:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Supper on our last night:
    [​IMG]

The spoils of shopping - a fancy Italian leather jacket:
    [​IMG]

Final Florence sunset:
    [​IMG]

6. PS-RagE

Next will be to edit all that video :forumnoob:.

GEEZER likes this.
  7. PS-RagE

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  8. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Amazing. The history of people long gone could be seen in the buildings...must have been humbling looking at some of those sights and day dreaming of what it must have been like living there while those sculptures were being chisled. So cool...

9. AJD1

AJD1 Prince Of Darkness Brigade Member

Excellent pix as always mang!!!

Keep em' comin'!!

:thumbsup: