1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Entry-level balisong w/pocket clip?

Comeuppance Apr 4, 2013

1. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Aspiring Cyborg

I've been looking into balisongs as of late, and have been trying to find a decent one under $100 with a pocket clip.

Are Bear balisongs reasonably good? I found a few that aren't mystery stainless (Sandvik, even!) and they're mostly in the price range.

This is way outside my normal type of knife, so I don't even know where to start. I bow to the collective balisong knowledge contained here - please help!

2. HonorHer

HonorHer Custom Knife Builder JDBA Official Member

With pocket clip a 51 is your best bet

You wont find a decent one under 100 bucks except the kimura and they dont have pocket clips mate

3. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

modded b200 loctite errything, but apply the loctite properly or youll bone yourself.

4. Comeuppance

5. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

look one post above you LOL....
    i don`t know why, but on the small sized songs i find the smallfly easier to flip than the BMs...could be a fluke though i am not a flipper...

6. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Huge member

And what he means by properly is don't bath the screw in loc tite. Just coat the threads. And leave it alone for 24 hours to set. Also use blue 242.
    I just asked that earlier this week so I thought I'd pass along the answer

7. brokeflipper

brokeflipper Huge member

if you look theres a couple BM51's on the voodoo economics that are going for 140-150 right now. :devilzeek

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showthread.php/134596-Benchmade-51-for-Sale

http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/showthread.php/134263-Benchmade-51-BLK-Benchmade-860-Bedlam

offer 150 shipped and one might be yours!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
  8. colpolite

colpolite Average member

You should be able to get a Morpho 32 in great condition between $110-130 and a Morpho 51 in great condition between $130-145. Now a mint or LNIB/NIB is a different story, the price is probably $20-30 higher for both.

9. HonorHer

HonorHer Custom Knife Builder JDBA Official Member

Well looks like he got his answer lol i forgot about the b200 never handled one myself but i hear its a good knife

10. Icceal555

Icceal555 Huge member

The b200 can be quite good for the price, but the quality control is hit and miss. If your looking to do any flipping, I wouldn't recommend a small bali like the 32, but it's a good edc from what I've heard. Your safest bet would be a 51, it's not too expensive on the secondary market, and it's a good flipper and edc. You don't really have to worry about qc with Benchmade either, and if you don't like it, you can probably re-sell it with no more than a $20 hit.

11. Comeuppance

I just snagged a user BM 53 for 80 on a different forum. Yuss. Tool steel bearing-pivot balisong for under 100. Tops. Updates to follow :D

12. firstnomad

firstnomad Huge member

If you were looking for a flipper, you seriously messed up. The BM53 is one of the worst flippers out there.

If you were looking for a pure user, the 53 is serviceable.

13. Comeuppance

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
    I was looking for sort of a combination of both. I don't intend to impress anyone with my knife-flipping abilities - just basic opening and closing.

That's why the steel was/is important - I plan to use it. If I end up deciding I want a better flipper, it's a good enough deal that I can probably resell it without a loss and start hunting for a flipper.

14. Chris_Himself

Chris_Himself Bay Area Devil Alliance

I love the way the BM53 looks. It's based on perhaps one of the most badass balisongs when it comes to originality, the Marlowe Mongoose.

In theory, basic openings are more than enough to impress most people but thats what I said to myself when I bought a BM32 for EDC. It kind of snowballed from there.

15. mike_geno

mike_geno Huge member JDBA Official Member

I recently picked up a 51 for a little over $100. It's in awesome condition. Goods deal.
    Also a smallfly from blade HQ will set you back $130. That's a nice little knife with a pocket clip. Good luck.
    :thumbsup: