1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Electrical help needed.

BennytheBlade Apr 12, 2018

1. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

So I play guitar (poorly) to rehab my f 'ed up wrists but I have a problem. I plug in my amp in my guitar room (why yes I am single, why do you ask) and I get an obnoxious buzz/hum that isn't there when I plug it in to my bedroom, making me think that the power supply in my guitar room is less than stellar. Is there a simple fix without having to change rooms? I have heard there are "filters" but don't know sh¡t about them. Any help would be appreciated.

2. leo

leo JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

My first guess would be that it's a grounding issue if it only happens in one room. Are you plugging it into the wall or a strip?

norcal13 and Rio like this.
  3. BennytheBlade

Plugging in directly. Supposedly it not common according to random friends and guitar center.
    Any thoughts on a fix?
    it's not like it's ruining SRV at montreaux but it is annoying while I practice.

norcal13 likes this.
  4. leo

It's hard to say. You kind of have to play process of elimination to figure out what is causing it.
    I'd test the outlet. If you don't have one you can get a tester for like 5-10 bucks.

Other electronics can also cause the buzz. The wiring in your guitar can cause it also, but since it's only happening in the one room I doubt that would be the case.

norcal13 and Rio like this.
  5. BennytheBlade

Yeah, I'm 90℅ sure it's the outlet cause I tested in other rooms and 4 didn't and only 2 did and they are the 2 "extra" rooms.

6. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I agree it's a grounding issue ,,90% sure ,,good luck

g

7. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

I agree with leo, test it and change that sucker. What guitar you play? brand I mean :)

leo likes this.
  8. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

If that outlet is on a shared circuit, is there something else (flourescent light, fish tank, or something like that) that might be causing electrical noise somewhere along the line ?

9. Brian_W204

Brian_W204 Enormous member

First, buy one of these and check the outlet. If it's faulty, fix it or have it fixed. But If the outlet tests good, then you'll need to look for something causing noise. In the meantime, you can just run a grounded extension cord with appropriate wire gauge for your amp to an outlet that works.

[​IMG]

norcal13, leo and begreen61 like this.
  10. BennytheBlade

Cool thanks guys. I don't know what is on this circuit, it could be the fridge etc. I just wanna cut out the hum.
    What is that called brian? I'll go to home depot and see if I can find it.

I have 3 esp Les pauls, a strat/squier, a Dean explorer , a michael kelly, a washburn, a jackson rr model, a epiphone sg, and an esp snakebyte coming in the mail.

Rio likes this.
  11. leo

12. adnj

adnj Huge member

It seems also possible that there is noise caused by the connection to the panel.

Typically, "clean grounds" run all the way to the ground lug on the main panel to prevent standing wave interference. That's where the different circuits share a ground path. It isn't against code because it isn't dangerous but it can be a significant problem for computers and amplifiers.

The fix can be pricey to do it right. A cheap alternative is just add a grounded 20 amp circuit to the panel and run it where you want it using 12 gauge 3-wire Romex cable.

norcal13, desmodus, begreen61 and 2 others like this.